**** A Run At 90 & It Was The Warmest April On Record For PHL ****

colonel_kurtz

With props to Carl who mentioned this in another thread and if I can find it, I will give this thread start to him.

Warmest April on record in PHL is 59.4 degrees set in 1994.

Plugging in the predicted Mount Holly max temps through the 30th, getting 59.7 degrees for the month which would make April the second month of this year so far to establish a new all-time record (high) monthly average temp.

As for a 90 degree day itself, the day before the backdoor nears (or passes on Sunday?) is the best shot at reaching 90 in April.  I wouldnt discount May 1st just yet either.  The GFS OP predicted 925(s) and 850(s) pretty much get there, make upper 80s a near lock.

This thread starter has been reported!

APR 90 degrees facts for Philly:

90 or > has been recorded 33 times during the month of APR

Highest APR temp - 95 on 4/17/2002

Most 90 degrees days - 4 in 1976

There have been 5 "official" April heat waves - 2002, 1976, 2009, 1896 & 1990

Earliest 90 degree reading - 4/7/1929

the 94 on 4/18/1976 & the 92 on 4/25/1960 were the hottest temperatures of the year

on 4/12/1977 is was 92 degrees only 3 days after it was 26 degrees on 4/9

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

87 is fine, no 90s

Not just the last GFS run, but for at least the last four or five, 90 as a high looks possible on Saturday. PHL might get a river reprieve, but around 90 at normally hotter places does not have a la la land stretch.   Having the backdoor come down/threaten on Sunday does have April logic to it.

3 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Not just the last GFS run, but for at least the last four or five, 90 as a high looks possible on Saturday. PHL might get a river reprieve, but around 90 at normally hotter places does not have a la la land stretch.   Having the backdoor come down/threaten on Sunday does have April logic to it.

I have a wedding to go to on Saturday. Of COURSE it will be 90 when I have to wear a suit and tie. :bleh:

• Like 3

Euro saying nope. Another tick cooler with bdcf fun. Some morning rain possible on Saturday. 2m raw numbers from thurs-sat 75-80. Sun stuck in upper 50s to low 60s. What a thing of beauty this would be. Keep that warmth in Williamsburg 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Euro saying nope. Another tick cooler with bdcf fun. Some morning rain possible on Saturday. 2m raw numbers from thurs-sat 75-80. Sun stuck in upper 50s to low 60s. What a thing of beauty this would be. Keep that warmth in Williamsburg 

Yeah its faster with the cold frontal passage on Friday also, the +16C (s) at 850mb pass passively overnight.  Mt Holly PHL max temps in 2nd post were in the mid 80s, so makes the contest for warmest April on record more of a battle if back door comes down on Sunday (which is believable).

38 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Yeah its faster with the cold frontal passage on Friday also, the +16C (s) at 850mb pass passively overnight.  Mt Holly PHL max temps in 2nd post were in the mid 80s, so makes the contest for warmest April on record more of a battle if back door comes down on Sunday (which is believable).

I hoping the backdoor stays south of us till september. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cbelke said:

I have a wedding to go to on Saturday. Of COURSE it will be 90 when I have to wear a suit and tie. :bleh:

That makes two of us!  Wedding is in Philadelphia, so we'll be traipsing all over the hot city taking photos, since I'm in the wedding party.  (my first wedding party at almost 34 yo....I guess I'm lucky)

• Like 2

I'll be in that little church called Washington Memorial in Valley Forge State Park. I think (I hope) they have A/C. Wedding isn't until 3 PM so there should be plenty of day time heating to test my deodorant. :smiley_emoticons_hot:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cbelke said:

I'll be in that little church called Washington Memorial in Valley Forge State Park. I think (I hope) they have A/C. Wedding isn't until 3 PM so there should be plenty of day time heating to test my deodorant. :smiley_emoticons_hot:

Right on cue, Saturday looking like the warmest/hottest day at this point.  Thunderstorms maybe to boot along the backdoor. Odd to see the Euro faster.

Capture.JPGz.thumb.JPG.0f4176dcc6f0f78342846223ca71e9ec.JPG