Called my congressional delegation - asking them to set wheels in motion to fill WFO Mt Holly’s staff vacancies

rramblings

I am starting this thread to ask you join me in taking a small action in support of our NWS WFO at Mt. Holly.

I have been aware for quite sometime that there have been some staff vacancies at our WFO Mt.. Holly. If I am not mistaken, there are five vacancies: two forecasters, co-op observing program leader, chief meteorologist and administrative assistant.

The staff shortage at Mt Holly has been nagging at me for sometime. A conversation with a friend led me to do the only thing that I can do at this time to help I picked up the telephone and called my Congressional Delegation. I touched on three points. From past experience with phone calls to my delegation, I have learned to try to keep it simple and to get the important points across. I made a phone call because a person in the know told me that the best way to get a message through to my Congressional Delegation was to actually talk to someone in their office.

•    That WFO Mt Holly is short staffed, with five vacancies and their forecast area has among the largest populations  of all WFOs.
    •    I said that I did volunteer work helping provide weather observations.
    •    I asked my Congressional Delegation to please do what they can to see that WFO Mt. Holly can fill their vacant lines.

Yes, things in Washington D.C. with regards to the federal budget are complicated. However, the way I look at it is that calling my Congressional Delegation is something that I can do to help my friends at Mt. Holly. I am writing you to ask if you will join me and call (or write) your Congressional Delegation to ask them to fund the vacant lines at WFO Mt. Holly. Some action is better than no action.

Thank-you for your consideration.

Tyler

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to update this things are about the same. We do have one person coming mid September (maybe?). One position did not have enough applicants and will have to be re-advertised ( 9+ months till this spot is filled), Another position was selected, Another position people will be interviewed soon and the fifth vacancy will not be filled. 

Two major hurdles at the end of September are the debt ceiling (budget issues) and shutdown. The shutdown would halt the very slow 9+ month to get any additional employees to start work here. 

• Like 1

Just to update this things are about the same. We do have one person coming mid September (maybe?). One position did not have enough applicants and will have to be re-advertised ( 9+ months till this spot is filled), Another position was selected, Another position people will be interviewed soon and the fifth vacancy will not be filled. 

Two major hurdles at the end of September are the debt ceiling (budget issues) and shutdown. The shutdown would halt the very slow 9+ month to get any additional employees to start work here. 

Surprised there weren't enough applicants, my perception was that the demand on the part of job-seekers exceeded the available positions, is that not the case?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JimCaruso said:

Surprised there weren't enough applicants, my perception was that the demand on the part of job-seekers exceeded the available positions, is that not the case?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In almost all cases yes. Typically only one of two with a met degree gets a job out of school. 

On 8/24/2017 at 1:37 PM, Mitchg said:

Was that the MIC?

• 1 month later...

Status of vacancies at our office 

Administrative assistant- filled, the person started a couple of weeks ago. 

General Forecaster- filled, report date unknown but will likely be several months for a background check. 

MIC- The position will need to be re-advertised, a group of names was sent to our regional office but no one was selected. It will likely be another year if not longer without a Meteorologist in charge.  This position could be vacant for at least two years total. 

OPL- Position not advertised and is the lowest priority. This position will likely remain vacant for at least most of 2018. 

Entry level meteorologist- The office got a list of names but then could not hire because there was no more money left in FY17 budget for hires. This position will have to be re-advertised and likely remain vacant through most of 2018 at least.  

A 90 day hiring process still takes 9 months or more on average. 

Also, one retirement on April 1,2018 a lead forecaster. This will still leave us about 20% down through 2018. 

Other offices: WFO's Burlington VT, Binghamton, NY and Sterling, VA are in quite  a bit worse shape than our office with operational staffing levels reduced 30-40%. In total overtime at the Burlington office has been well over 1,000 hours in the past year costing tax payers a lot more. 

I wish I had better news to report but the overall issue continues to get worse despite some slight short term improvement. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mitchg said:

General Forecaster- filled, report date unknown but will likely be several months for a background check. 

MIC- The position will need to be re-advertised, a group of names was sent to our regional office but no one was selected. It will likely be another year if not longer without a Meteorologist in charge.  This position could be vacant for at least two years total. 

OPL- Position not advertised and is the lowest priority. This position will likely remain vacant for at least most of 2018. 

Entry level meteorologist- The office got a list of names but then could not hire because there was no more money left in FY17 budget for hires. This position will have to be re-advertised and likely remain vacant through most of 2018 at least.  

Also, one retirement on April 1,2018 a lead forecaster. This will still leave us about 20% down through 2018. 

Other offices: WFO's Burlington VT, Binghamton, NY and Sterling, VA are in quite  a bit worse shape than our office with operational staffing levels reduced 30-40%. In total overtime at the Burlington office has been well over 1,000 hours in the past year costing tax payers a lot more. 

I wish I had better news to report but the overall issue continues to get worse despite some slight short term improvement. 

The public deserves better with all the taxes we pay. JMOP

18 hours ago, Mitchg said:

:(:( Mitch, thanks for the update. And for the news of WFO Burlington VT, Binghamton NY, and Sterling VA. I used to have interests VT until 2016. And interests long ago in Binghamton.

19 hours ago, Mitchg said:

Joe & Al should both just retire tomorrow, its ridiculous the way they are being used.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, snowlurker said:

Down hundreds of staff, Weather Service ‘teetering on the brink of failure,’ labor union says
http://wapo.st/2gGtNfS

Brutal. 

Sad thing is just 15 years ago getting a job at the NWS was seen as MAJOR upgrade from working for private companies that often over worked and underpaid staff. It's a shame what the field of meteorology has become. So many smart, enthusiastic scientists who get treated like crap doing something that saves lives, property, etc. Meanwhile, others can't even get a foot in the door with a degree or two. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Parsley said:

Brutal. 

Sad thing is just 15 years ago getting a job at the NWS was seen as MAJOR upgrade from working for private companies that often over worked and underpaid staff. It's a shame what the field of meteorology has become. So many smart, enthusiastic scientists who get treated like crap doing something that saves lives, property, etc. Meanwhile, others can't even get a foot in the door with a degree or two. 

Well said

• 1 month later...

Update locally. A new forecaster arrives Monday. However, we have a retirement and a departure in the spring. Operationally, we will be down more people than when this thread was created. It's more of the agency requesting and using the funding properly, ugh.