2/13 Strong/High Wind Observations

Treckasec

22 minutes ago, Treckasec said:

Must be some strong winds aloft for this sad looking line of storms to be warned ...

IMG_0660.GIF

I think the warning is for the winds associated with this squall line.... winds were gusting up to and past 60 mph with this line this is I am guessing the northern piece of energy that will swing through tonight and cause our very windy conditions here as well.  Skies here in Media are crystal clear fro now.  I should be interesting to see if this holds together as it races southeast bound.

That squall came through around 1130 in Philly. 

I was outside during it, and man, was that something. I've never seen winds like that, and we've had a lot of winds recently. Trees bending in ways I didn't think they'd handle. 

The one gust kept peaking, just when I thought it was at its peak, it peaked again and again. 

Can anyone explain why it seems like the winds are higher above the ground, trees seem to be bending but at the ground I don't feel much currently, and I can hear roaring. Is this because the winds are 100 over the ground? What's preventing them from hitting the ground level?

38 minutes ago, simple295 said:

I was outside during it, and man, was that something. I've never seen winds like that, and we've had a lot of winds recently. Trees bending in ways I didn't think they'd handle. 

The one gust kept peaking, just when I thought it was at its peak, it peaked again and again. 

Can anyone explain why it seems like the winds are higher above the ground, trees seem to be bending but at the ground I don't feel much currently, and I can hear roaring. Is this because the winds are 100 over the ground? What's preventing them from hitting the ground level?

Winds aren't going at 100 mph aloft ... but they are strong. I believe that things like temperature inversions that happening overnight make it harder for winds to mix down? You want steep lapse rates (especially low-level) for winds to mix down.

5 hours ago, Treckasec said:

Winds aren't going at 100 mph aloft ... but they are strong. I believe that things like temperature inversions that happening overnight make it harder for winds to mix down? You want steep lapse rates (especially low-level) for winds to mix down.

Oh I meant 100 FEET not MPH haha. It was late and I guess my phrasing wasn't the best haha.

Very interesting, that also explains something I saw before. I was in Florida, so mid 70's in winter. I was near this small pond, and I noticed there was a decent wind, with really strangely strong gusts. I say strange because it was a calm day, but ONLY by this pond. I figured it had to do with the water temperature being cooler than air. 

You may have explained it.

6 hours ago, simple295 said:

More friction from the land, buildings, trees, etc just slow the wind down.  That is why places that are wide open (large parking lots, like you posted on ponds, lakes, or right along the beaches, the state of Oklahoma) are always windier.  The 100 mph estimate is too high.

1 hour ago, Rainshadow said:

More friction from the land, buildings, trees, etc just slow the wind down.  That is why places that are wide open (large parking lots, like you posted on ponds, lakes, or right along the beaches, the state of Oklahoma) are always windier.  The 100 mph estimate is too high.

That makes sense.

I didn't mean 100mph I meant attitude. 

Just now, Mitchg said:

Any other damage reports from the storms last night? Thanks. 

A friend of mine's daughter had a pine tree crashed through her house into her bedroom at 4:30 a.m. this morning. Trying to find the exact location for you.

Other than that, just some idiot (me) who didn't latch the gate to his backyard properly and had to get up at 3:42 am to latch it. 

9 minutes ago, Mitchg said:

Any other damage reports from the storms last night? Thanks. 

Just typical strong wind stuff, trash cans rolling all over the place.  I used an adjustment factor on station based on VAY, so the 35 mph may be a bit low, but probably not more than 40 to 45 mph.

4 minutes ago, cbelke said:

A friend of mine's daughter had a pine tree crashed through her house into her bedroom at 4:30 a.m. this morning. Trying to find the exact location for you.

Other than that, just some idiot (me) who didn't latch the gate to his backyard properly and had to get up at 3:42 am to latch it. 

Thanks!