January 2nd, Possible Freezing Rain At Start North & West of PHL

Rainshadow

New castle-cecil-salem-gloucester-camden-northwestern burlington- ocean-cumberland-atlantic-southeastern burlington-delaware- philadelphia-western chester-eastern chester-western montgomery- eastern montgomery-upper bucks-lower bucks- including the cities of...Wilmington...Elkton...Pennsville... glassboro...Camden...Cherry hill...Moorestown...Mount holly... jackson...Millville...Hammonton...Wharton state forest...Media... philadelphia...Honey brook...Oxford...West chester... kennett square...Collegeville...Pottstown...Norristown... lansdale...Chalfont...Perkasie...Morrisville...Doylestown 916 PM EST sun jan 1 2017

...Freezing rain advisory in effect from 4 AM to 8 AM EST Monday...

The national weather service in mount holly has issued a freezing rain advisory...Which is in effect from 400 AM until 800 AM Monday.

* Locations...Extreme northeastern maryland...Northern delaware...Southeastern pennsylvania and parts of southern new jersey.

* Hazard type...Pockets of freezing rain.

* Ice accumulations...A light glaze of a few hundredths of an inch in spots.

* Timing...Light rain is forecast to move into the region toward daybreak on Monday. Initially...The rain may freeze on untreated surfaces at some locations especially away from highly urbanized areas. Temperatures are then anticipated to rise above freezing throughout the region during the course of the early morning.

* Temperatures...In the lower to middle 30s near daybreak on Monday rising into the lower 40s by midday.

* Impacts...The freezing rain may create hazardous travel conditions at some locations. Untreated roads and walkways may become ice covered and slippery.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

This freezing rain advisory means that a period of freezing rain may cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads. slow down and use extra caution while driving.

15 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

They dont read NWS forecasts or our board.  :( 

Very true. Especially our road department here. They treat the heavily traveled back roads but never touch the roads that have lighter traffic. I took my wife out for breakfast and there was just a slight slushy coating in some areas of the road. Tapped the brakes and heard the tell tale pinging of the anti-lock brakes and knew it was icy. The heavily traveled roads were treated with no issues.

You got me thinking that I should call the township and complain. So I did. Their response was they had evaluated the road conditions in the area and determined that treatment was NOT necessary. They also acknowledged they were "spot treating" some roads as needed and also didn't have all equipment setup for winter conditions yet. They have 2 trucks with salt spreaders equipped and they are working diligently to get the rest equipped before the next winter event.

Translation... B.S, they are sitting on their a$$.

The translation was my two cents. 

18 minutes ago, cbelke said:

You got me thinking that I should call the township and complain. So I did. Their response was they had evaluated the road conditions in the area and determined that treatment was NOT necessary. They also acknowledged they were "spot treating" some roads as needed and also didn't have all equipment setup for winter conditions yet. They have 2 trucks with salt spreaders equipped and they are working diligently to get the rest equipped before the next winter event.

Translation... B.S, they are sitting on their a$$.

The translation was my two cents. 

Probably also today is a holiday, not as many people on the road.  If today were tomorrow...   

Horrible ice accident a couple of winters ago also occurred on a weekend, so ice doesnt take a break or let you brake.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Probably also today is a holiday, not as many people on the road.  If today were tomorrow...   

Horrible ice accident a couple of winters ago also occurred on a weekend, so ice doesnt take a break or let you brake.

Plus, paying OT (for cash strapped townships) for road dept.  workers to come out who are off. But like you mention, it doesn't take much ice for accidents to occur. They (hopefully) should err on side of caution.

Agree on all the above. However, Pennridge School District has school today believe it or not. So I would expect the township to be doing more than simply evaluating the road conditions given that school buses and students who drive to school are on the roads. 

• Like 1