Welcome To The Officially Hijacked EST & The Sun Is Now Rising Earlier Each Day & New and Improving Post 5 PM Sunsets Thread

Rainshadow

1 hour ago, Rainshadow said:

Best part of EST are the models coming in one hour earlier. Otherwise since this is one of the later changes to EST, its only about 5 weeks until the sun starts setting later in the afternoon!

I was in the Scottish Highlands and eastern islands (Orkneys and Shetland) a number of years ago and it was about this time of the year, too. The sun comes up around 7:45 and sets around 4:00 (or 16:00). Twilight begins around 3! It's a really neat thing to experience. 

4 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

Best part of EST are the models coming in one hour earlier. Otherwise since this is one of the later changes to EST, its only about 5 weeks until the sun starts setting later in the afternoon!

That's the only perk of it.

(Cue my idea on moving the clocks ahead 30 minutes year-round and never having to set the clocks back or forth again)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DelcoWx said:

I was in the Scottish Highlands and eastern islands (Orkneys and Shetland) a number of years ago and it was about this time of the year, too. The sun comes up around 7:45 and sets around 4:00 (or 16:00). Twilight begins around 3! It's a really neat thing to experience. 

I prefer the midnight sun cruise to Barrow myself....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tony, once again proving why you remain my favorite :wub:

I've never liked the 30 minute compromise though...that just lengthens the period of the year where it feels like we see no sunlight into the Fall and Spring, too, though I'd like having less period of absolute dark.  It's kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  You don't get very much of the darkest time, in exchange, more of the year feels like you're in the dark time.  If I had my way we'd stay on EDT forever.

Or maybe we should just move to Florida.  Adam can wake us when a hurricane is coming. ^_^

11 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

I remember on a warm day at Christmas time last year, we had a 12:30 tee time and basically played 18 in the dark thanks to a slow group in front of us.  That ain't right.

Tom can attest to this (this is where we have the Phillywx get together), our round yesterday took 4 hours and 40 minutes. There was some group 8 or 12 in front of us scrambling. We were a threesome walking. They must be members because we eventually got stuck behind them two weks ago.  I never thought a 1152 tee time was in danger of not finishing in time for even this sunset.

• 3 weeks later...