July Banter

tombo82685

why does everyone hate hot wx so much? i find the cold much more uncomfortable

Just not fun standing outside and being drenched in sweat. At least out in the cold once you start working you warm up and its not bad at all. 

• Like 1

why does everyone hate hot wx so much? i find the cold much more uncomfortable

This weather is just too hot. I'll settle for 85 and dry (low dp's).

85 and 60*+ dp's is just gross. I'm Irish, so my genes are built for 51 N, not 40N!

Plus, you can always put on more layers to get warm.

• Like 1

I have a link but I am not sure how to post it but, NBC news has a headline "Return of the Polar Vortex" in July.  The media certainly has latched onto that one and beaten it like a rented mule!  It's ridiculous how often the mentioned it this winter now they are using it in July!

Yeah, the story's all over the InterWebs. I'm not sure of the origin but I think it may have resulted from the weather "bigs" (TWC, Wunderground, Accu, etc) noting the cooling as they move into their 5-7 day outlooks. (Interesting, as it was discussed here a few days ago.) But I guess they need the "Hey, look at us" factor for their websites and blogs. Sigh.

If you go to the NBC site mentioned above, scroll down and read the In-depth entry on "Why meteorologists don't like the Vortex label".

(That piece was pub'd in January, so the predicted temps mentioned don't apply in July!)

I don't care for either extreme, heat or cold. I hated the 3* mornings this winter as much as I'll hate ~70dp's this summer...

I am inclined to agree. In general I hate the winter and every year I look forward to summer, but I seem to always forget that there are just as many times in the summer I want to be inside when it's too hot as I do in the winter when it's too cold. At least in the winter, I can be inside and enjoy the comforts of "hearth and home" for its own sake without feeling like I'm missing anything. But when I retreat indoors on a hot summer day I somehow feel like I should be doing something else, like being in a pool or on a beach. :)

Still, I do prefer the summer overall. At least you can do things to keep cool other than stay in the house (pool, beach, lake, mountains, etc.). And no matter how hot it is during the day, you can usually enjoy time outdoors in the morning, evening and at night. No part of a cold winter day has any such redeeming features in my view!

This summer has been spectacular. Sure, we've had some warm, muggy days, but I can't remember the last time we had so many breaks for cooler, drier weather.  We will have a couple hot days this week, but then Friday and Saturday look absolutely spectacular with a cool breeze.