7/6 - 7/9 Excessive Heat and Thunderstorm Obs, Send Us Your Wretched 90s.

Rainshadow

Well its time to pay the piper. Maybe even Paul gets a 90 out of this. Regardless dew points are/will be disgustingly high. Excessive heat warnings up for the urban corridor.  PHL just missed a 90 yesterday, maybe Saturday if front moves thru sooner.  At any rate mid 90s pretty much in the bag for hotter spots along with 100+ heat indices.

:(

I can't believe that there are people who actually enjoy excessive heat and humidity.  These are the people who shouldn't be allowed to own air conditioners.

I violently agree. People who tell me they love the summer warmth, I first ask if they have a pool or a beach house, because realistically if you don't have those two things you're basically sitting in the AC today. 

• Like 2

I grew up on a working dairy farm in Washington Crossing, PA. This is "hay making weather" as my Dad would say. Hot and humid with no rain. Baled the hay with a tractor but unloaded the hay by hand. I do NOT miss it one bit. It was a dirty job, inhaling hay seeds, itching all over, and coughing up the dirt and dust. It would get to about 120- 130 degrees inside the barn with no air moving at all. There were four cuttings of hay during the summer and one cutting of straw. It sucked. All we ever had in that 220 year old farmhouse was a window A/C unit and we all fought to stand in front of it. Did that through my late 20's, I will say its a great character builder.  :crazy:

• Like 5

I'll take this over a windchill of minus -10 and mostly cloudy skies. Atleast it's bearable til about 10am, then again after 6pm.

Cold winter days have no window for enjoyment.

Plus 15 hours of darkness. Just finished golfing at 945 this morning, it was doable.  (Actually hitting shots, not the results of those "shots" ).

Plus 15 hours of darkness. Just finished golfing at 945 this morning, it was doable.  (Actually hitting shots, not the results of those "shots" ).

Nice.

Summer mornings motivate me to wake up earlier and get outside to beat the heat and enjoy the tolerable hours. Winter mornings motivate me to hibernate.

no way, as someone who has to work outside, give me the cold anyday. I can dress for the cold and once you start working you warm up. In this crap you're just screwed regardless. It's pretty much a constant sweat from about 7am till you find the AC.

• Like 2

no way, as someone who has to work outside, give me the cold anyday. I can dress for the cold and once you start working you warm up. In this crap you're just screwed regardless. It's pretty much a constant sweat from about 7am till you find the AC.

Totally understandable for you and others who work outdoors. I worked for a contractor during summer months in college and I remember being drenched in sweat and chugging water and Gatorade all day. Atleast it keeps ya in shape. :)

Anyone who works outdoors, its understandable as he types this from the air conditioned bedroom.

In case you were interested:

The yearly average number of days when max temps have reached 90 degrees or higher in Philadelphia by decade:

1870s...9,  1880s...17, 1890s...21, 1900s...14, 1910s....16, 1920s....16. 1930s....20, 1940s...26, 1950s...26, 1960s....17, 1970s.....22, 1980s....26, 1990s...31, 2000s....23, 2010s....30.

Btw this is starting decades on the 0 and ending them on the 9.  2010 was numero uno at 55 days.

• Like 2

Just went outside to check my thermometer that is in the shade under my hemlocks, not up to 90, at least not yet. Probably will get to 90F before the end of the day.

This thread reminds me of the joys of living without AC in my younger days, especially in urban apartments. Those of you working outside, please be careful and stay hydrated.

I lived in Baltimore City eons ago when I was 20. Hot, hot, and hotter from around Memorial Day through Labor Day. We used to call it the helter skelter of Baltimore summer swelter. You get used to it, sort of. Anyway, I had to be at work and in my uniform by 7 AM and used to enjoy walking to work in the cool of the morning.

Just went outside to check my thermometer that is in the shade under my hemlocks, not up to 90, at least not yet. Probably will get to 90F before the end of the day.

This thread reminds me of the joys of living without AC in my younger days, especially in urban apartments. Those of you working outside, please be careful and stay hydrated.

I lived in Baltimore City eons ago when I was 20. Hot, hot, and hotter from around Memorial Day through Labor Day. We used to call it the helter skelter of Baltimore summer swelter. You get used to it, sort of. Anyway, I had to be at work and in my uniform by 7 AM and used to enjoy walking to work in the cool of the morning.

Sounds like the same thing as Hell's Kitchen on the west side of Manhattan.

I think some of you need to move north.....and I'm not talking about the Poconos.  :smileys-snowman-053129:

91 here as of 4pm. Hottest reading of the summer IMBY. With the mid-60s dewpoints it surely feels the ugliest yet this summer.

I think some of you need to move north.....and I'm not talking about the Poconos.  :smileys-snowman-053129:

91 here as of 4pm. Hottest reading of the summer IMBY. With the mid-60s dewpoints it surely feels the ugliest yet this summer.

If I could get a job in Maine, I would move there in a minute.