The U.S. Open Thread in Oakmont, PA.

Rainshadow

Thursday

Showers likely, with thunderstorms also possible after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 83. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Thursday Night

Showers and thunderstorms likely before midnight, then a chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday

A chance of showers before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 78. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 59.

Saturday

Sunny, with a high near 82.

Saturday Night

Sunday

Sunny, with a high near 83.

Weather forecast posted above looks pretty good for scoring, with thursday rain, was hoping for hot, dry and windy

I think it will be very Masters like.  You have to score the first two rounds then hold on for dear life when it dries out over the weekend.  However with the rain they will most likely not cut the rough which will make fairways a premium.  Winning score will probably still be around par or higher I believe. 

Thursday

Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. South wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Thursday Night

Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Friday

Partly sunny, with a high near 79.

Friday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 58.

Saturday

Sunny, with a high near 82.

Saturday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 58.

Sunday

Sunny, with a high near 84.

I just found out I got approved for two 2017 Master tickets for Friday, April 7th 2017. First time signing up and first time at Augusta! :crazy:

Now to find a hotel... They are already booked solid.

You lucky SOB! Enjoy! Try air b&b. People rent Out their homes/apts/rooms.

Pretty cool to see this article on yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/u-s--open--the-covert-plan-to-transform-america-s-toughest-golf-course-130912840.html

How the man who coined "amen corner" nicknames Oakmont a derogatory name, and what ownership did to fix it:

Hint hint;

0fea836629f9e77bc7cc04a23906b11a.jpg

• Like 1

I have seen so many posts on Facebook and Twitter that people have been trying for several years to get tickets and still nothing. It ranks up there with getting Superbowl tickets.  At $100 a piece, it was a no brainer to sign up. The lottery drawing for practice sessions is coming up in July, so I may have a chance at those as well.  I can take a camera on the practice sessions, but no cameras or cell phones or anything that takes video is allowed during the actual tournament. However, I am hearing rumors that cell phones are allowed but must be silenced (no ringer) so I'm hoping I can do that and take some quiet snap shots with my phone,which has a great camera. This will be a bucket list item checked off. Now, if I can get really lucky, and become a volunteer at the Masters, I would get invited back the month following the Masters and be allowed to play Augusta. Its a catered event each year for volunteers and extremely hard to get hired as a volunteer. I'm hoping!

https://tickets.masters.com/en_US/index.html

• Like 1

You lucky SOB! Enjoy! Try air b&b. People rent Out their homes/apts/rooms.

Pretty cool to see this article on yahoo:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/u-s--open--the-covert-plan-to-transform-america-s-toughest-golf-course-130912840.html

How the man who coined "amen corner" nicknames Oakmont a derogatory name, and what ownership did to fix it:

Hint hint;0fea836629f9e77bc7cc04a23906b11a.jpg

I read in some golf magazine they removed 7500 trees on top of the 7000 they already did.

Today
Showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. High near 82. Southwest wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms before 2am, then scattered showers. Low around 64. South wind around 5 mph becoming north in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Friday
Partly sunny, with a high near 81. Northeast wind around 8 mph.

Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 56. Northeast wind 3 to 6 mph.

Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 82. Light east wind.

Saturday Night

Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 83.

The morning wave lucky today.  Maybe not so lucky tomorrow if the afternoon wave cant get out or play is totally stopped.

I have seen so many posts on Facebook and Twitter that people have been trying for several years to get tickets and still nothing. It ranks up there with getting Superbowl tickets.  At $100 a piece, it was a no brainer to sign up. The lottery drawing for practice sessions is coming up in July, so I may have a chance at those as well.  I can take a camera on the practice sessions, but no cameras or cell phones or anything that takes video is allowed during the actual tournament. However, I am hearing rumors that cell phones are allowed but must be silenced (no ringer) so I'm hoping I can do that and take some quiet snap shots with my phone,which has a great camera. This will be a bucket list item checked off. Now, if I can get really lucky, and become a volunteer at the Masters, I would get invited back the month following the Masters and be allowed to play Augusta. Its a catered event each year for volunteers and extremely hard to get hired as a volunteer. I'm hoping!

I think the rule should be if your cellphone goes off during the Masters you have to eat it. 

• Like 1

So in 1994 I got to go to the US Open...my boss got tickets and invited me as a reward for my work the last few months. Round 1, Thursday, which was notable for two things...the last one for Arnie Palmer and my boss, his two buddies, and I managed to squeeze in enough to see him tee off. Gave me chills. The other notable thing...so my boss is this big Tom Watson fan. He wanted to follow Watson the entire time he was out, which I wasn't crazy about but he listened to me to get there super early to see Jack. So we followed Jack (he shot -2!) and then jumped over to get a decent spot for Arnie, then followed Watson. 

I remember thinking eh, Watson...I wanted to follow Greg Norman or Curtis Strange. He was paired with Ian Woosan (sp?) and someone else. But man, he had a helluva exciting opening round, was the -3 leader at the end. It put a charge in the crowd to see do so well. I also made sure I went over to see Arnie's final hole of the day. 

The other thing...this was GRUELING, man. It was in the 90s for the first day, and I'm pretty sure Saturday/Sunday it got close to 100. And humid, like we were in Alabama, not Pittsburgh. We were there for about 12 hours, and I am so glad my boss gave me the next day off. We went to get dinner afterwards and boy, we were pretty ripe. But that day will never leave my memory, for sure. 

I'm sure you guys remember the rest of the story...CONTROVERSY! 

On an added note, when I worked for Junior Achievement we held a fundraiser at Oakmont and I got to play it (I shot 98...I golfed a lot more then and generally was in the high 80s but was so nervous). I remember afterwards one of my coworkers, an avid golfer, commented afterwards at the event reception, hey, how come this course is supposed to be so tough, that wasn't that bad. And a guy from Oakmont laughed and said that's member conditions, not Open conditions. Hole placement, rough cut, etc. are WAY different now than they are any other time. 

I think the rule should be if your cellphone goes off during the Masters you have to eat it. 

Phone Case and all, while yelling mashed potatoes....

First rain delay of the tourney coming right up. As soon as they broadcast too! grrr... (fs1 channel for those interested).

• Like 1

I have seen so many posts on Facebook and Twitter that people have been trying for several years to get tickets and still nothing. It ranks up there with getting Superbowl tickets. At $100 a piece, it was a no brainer to sign up. The lottery drawing for practice sessions is coming up in July, so I may have a chance at those as well. I can take a camera on the practice sessions, but no cameras or cell phones or anything that takes video is allowed during the actual tournament. However, I am hearing rumors that cell phones are allowed but must be silenced (no ringer) so I'm hoping I can do that and take some quiet snap shots with my phone,which has a great camera. This will be a bucket list item checked off. Now, if I can get really lucky, and become a volunteer at the Masters, I would get invited back the month following the Masters and be allowed to play Augusta. Its a catered event each year for volunteers and extremely hard to get hired as a volunteer. I'm hoping!

Congratulations, should be an awesome experience.

Just remember not to refer to the putting surfaces as bikini wax greens.

• Like 2

Congratulations, should be an awesome experience.

Just remember not to refer to the putting surfaces as bikini wax greens.

I was hoping to get McCord's autograph for that comment. That was quite a while ago wasn't it? Like the mid 1990's?

If I get banned from the Master's for whatever,  I will make sure its a spectacle for all viewers.

I was hoping to get McCord's autograph for that comment. That was quite a while ago wasn't it? Like the mid 1990's?

If I get banned from the Master's for whatever,  I will make sure its a spectacle for all viewers.

Have to go all out and yell "You're da bikini wax, mashed potato man!" while your cell phone is ringing to "It's Raining Men"....

• Like 1

I just hope Joe Buck isn't color commentating the Master's like he is for the U.S. Open... :axehead:

He had Jordan (making a great) lag putting from 39 feet instead of 39 yards, plus is it just us on Comcast, but the sound just seems to drop out; it happened last year too.

He had Jordan (making a great) lag putting from 39 feet instead of 39 yards, plus is it just us on Comcast, but the sound just seems to drop out; it happened last year too.

I think that is how he actually talks.

Chris