Best radar apps, web links*

el_nino

Pretty sure there used to be a thread or two about this in the past, but I can't seem to find it (may have been on the old board)...

With today's severe weather potential, it got me thinking - what are the sites you all use online for radar imagery?

I often feel like the NWS Mt. Holly radar site is too small of an image on the screen, and sites like wunderground.com have too much bloat/ads on them that distract or cause slow performance.

Is there something out there (for free) that is similar to the Radarscope app, but for the browser? Thanks!

I don't think anything beats RadarScope, I prefer to use that on my iPad and iPhone over anything available on the Internet. The GibsonRidge products would be the only PC equivalent in my opinion, but substantially more expensive.

BTW, I also subscribe to Allison House ($10/month) for a quicker / more current data feed into RadarScope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think anything beats RadarScope, I prefer to use that on my iPad and iPhone over anything available on the Internet. The GibsonRidge products would be the only PC equivalent in my opinion, but substantially more expensive.

BTW, I also subscribe to Allison House ($10/month) for a quicker / more current data feed into RadarScope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't know that was one of the benefits of that subscription, how much faster is it?

• 1 month later...

Anyone try Stormeye (Android)? I like the data its gives (Cell number, distance to your location, Max dBZ, and rain rate in/hr, hail chance, etc) but the clarity or HD radar is not there and it doesn't zoom very well. The range rings from your location are nice as well. I would love to see Radarscope (which I use all the time) provide the detail Stormeye does for an individual cell.

I know there isn't one app that can do it all but curious if anyone tried Stormeye yet.

Anyone try Stormeye (Android)? I like the data its gives (Cell number, distance to your location, Max dBZ, and rain rate in/hr, hail chance, etc) but the clarity or HD radar is not there and it doesn't zoom very well. The range rings from your location are nice as well. I would love to see Radarscope (which I use all the time) provide the detail Stormeye does for an individual cell.

I know there isn't one app that can do it all but curious if anyone tried Stormeye yet.

Radar scope pro has pretty much everything you need. A little more technical, but easy once you know what each function is.

It has a distance tool.

It has max echo tops, max dbz inspector kit (reads the data for you such as rainfall rate, max dbz, etc) ut has lightning detector built in, VIL.

Come winter, it shows the rain/mix/snow like via correlation Coefficient map. zoom all you want.

Hands down, the best radar app out there. It doesn't show an entire north east corridor, regional US sectors, but they're mosaics anyway. Just my .02c

Radar scope pro has pretty much everything you need. A little more technical, but easy once you know what each function is.

It has a distance tool.

It has max echo tops, max dbz inspector kit (reads the data for you such as rainfall rate, max dbz, etc) ut has lightning detector built in, VIL.

Come winter, it shows the rain/mix/snow like via correlation Coefficient map. zoom all you want.

Hands down, the best radar app out there. It doesn't show an entire north east corridor, regional US sectors, but they're mosaics anyway. Just my .02c

Ah, OK. Pro has all that. I will have to upgrade to it. Thanks for the info!!

No option to say "purchase"?

Ps, renamed thread title. I was about to come in here and put KDIX as the best radar site Lol.

Not seeing the option to purchase. I made the initial one time purchase of $9.99 a couple of years ago but I'm not seeing any option to purchase the upgrade to Pro,which it says is $9.99 per year. 

I opened a support case with them and I'll see what they come back with. 

KDIX is up and running? I thought it had about 100 meltdowns in the past year.

Nothing beats that during a winter storm [emoji16], especially the longer loops.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/

Here's the main page if anyone is looking for sat images/regional radar with overlays. (Dews, cape, vis sat, etc). So many choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing beats that during a winter storm [emoji16], especially the longer loops.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/

Here's the main page if anyone is looking for sat images/regional radar with overlays. (Dews, cape, vis sat, etc). So many choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link, have bookmarked this for checking out in more detail later.

Not seeing the option to purchase. I made the initial one time purchase of $9.99 a couple of years ago but I'm not seeing any option to purchase the upgrade to Pro,which it says is $9.99 per year. 

I opened a support case with them and I'll see what they come back with. 

KDIX is up and running? I thought it had about 100 meltdowns in the past year.

Success!! Got upgraded to Radarscope Pro. Apparently something with Google Play Store was keeping me from purchasing it.