If you want to become a skywarn spotter

tombo82685

If you want to be a spotter for mt holly, they are having a webinar tomorrow, starting at 7pm ending at 9pm. They will provide you with your spotter stuff after the webinar. 

Here is the link to sign up

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4316717109242624772

if you do become a spotter and would like to be recognized on here as one, please message me

• Like 1

If you want to be a spotter for mt holly, they are having a webinar tomorrow, starting at 7pm ending at 9pm. They will provide you with your spotter stuff after the webinar. 

if you do become a spotter and would like to be recognized on here as one, please message me

I signed up a few weeks ago. I'll dm you my info once I get it. Thanks!

• Like 1

Darn won't be home tomorrow night but I'd love to do that

Is there an advanced spotter training? I have seen some references to it a module but not seeing anything for a webinar or other training.

They are three people down, soon to be four (out of a fully staffed operational unit of 19), its tough to do any internal or external training.

Is there an advanced spotter training? I have seen some references to it a module but not seeing anything for a webinar or other training.

As Tony said we just don't have the staffing to do that now, same thing with tours, open houses etc. We actually have local spotters teaching most of the courses. The down 4 of 19 doesn't factor in vacations, one meteorologist going on paternal leave really soon etc. 7 shifts each day have to be filled, 3 day, 2 evening and 2 overnight. The 4 number is more likely to increase in the next several months than decrease if it does anything. As others in the NWS can attest, there is not an urgency to fill vacancies across the agency and the human resources ( those who work on the paperwork) is not much of a resource to put it kindly. 

As Tony said we just don't have the staffing to do that now, same thing with tours, open houses etc. We actually have local spotters teaching most of the courses. The down 4 of 19 doesn't factor in vacations, one meteorologist going on paternal leave really soon etc. 7 shifts each day have to be filled, 3 day, 2 evening and 2 overnight. The 4 number is more likely to increase in the next several months than decrease if it does anything. As others in the NWS can attest, there is not an urgency to fill vacancies across the agency and the human resources ( those who work on the paperwork) is not much of a resource to put it kindly.

Sad, but not surprising. I feel for you guys/gals.

Sad, but not surprising. I feel for you guys/gals.

I don't want to turn this into all politics, but Greg left last September and I retired last November and neither position has been filled yet. Mount Holly is basically playing baseball with a 20 person instead of a 25 person roster.