DST Poll, Yo

BeerandWXTogether

If we're going to do "full hour", I'd vote for how Europe does it (end of March to end of October).

I'd prefer we don't have to move clocks any more but we go 30 minutes ahead year round. That way sunset's no earlier than 5 PM in Philly and sunrises don't get outrageously late with year round DST.

I say we constantly adjust it so the sun always sets at 9 pm and rises at 6 am!

• Like 1

Except for the weekend with one less hour,

If you ever want to mess with someone's head, ask them where that hour goes when we're not using it and how we get it back in the Fall.

When they're not quite stumped, tell 'em you heard it's loaned to the Southern Hemisphere for their summer during our winter, then we get it back every year. We knock the dust off it and put it back in the clock. It's all coordinated through the U.N.

If we're going to do "full hour", I'd vote for how Europe does it (end of March to end of October).

I'd prefer we don't have to move clocks any more but we go 30 minutes ahead year round. That way sunset's no earlier than 5 PM in Philly and sunrises don't get outrageously late with year round DST.

I generally agree with you, but as a coach of youth softball the earlier switch really helps us get a few practices in during the last few weeks of March, otherwise we are stuck to having any outside practices on weekends which ultimately competes with spring soccer and basketball playoffs.  We share our fields with the elementary school so the earliest we can begin practice is 5:45PM and we are not allowed to play/practice under lights due to insurance reasons.   

I like it, tells you winter is gone, spring is here.  You can get so much more done outside when its light out until 8 pm.

I agree. But I have to rise at 5:20 to get my son up to get ready for school. When he left the house this morning it was pitch black and rainy.

I don't mind it. Back when it was in April, and this might be something you guys don't see as much, it always felt sort of strange/disconcerting/cool/neat when it snowed after the time change (this was mainly when I lived in Pittsburgh, since this was pre-2005). As in, it's snowing and it's almost 8 pm and still sort of light out. Felt so strange. It still feels sort of odd but not as much.

Things only a weather nerd would notice...

Hey, does anyone remember the classic dopey AmWx moment a while ago, when a guy said that a March snow event wouldn't amount to much because snow doesn't accumulate during the day in March, and since the clock was just moved ahead, now there's an hour more daylight in March so it's even less likely to accumulate?

Might not be quite as bad but the guy argued with people about it for several posts before he finally gave it up...I never will forget it. My wife asked me why I was laughing so hard.