Spring Banter Thread

Bananashadow

I'm not sure what it is, but the Route 30 highway around Lancaster is the Bermuda Triangle of pile-ups and crashes.  I've also noticed the icing is notoriously bad on this road.  There was a 15 car pile-up this morning in icy conditions on the overpass where 283 joins 30 eastbound.  

56d98b2666082.image.jpg

I like combining two seasons into one, starting vegetable seeds today!

Tony-

Do you ever let any crops winter-over? I planted spinach late last season in a mini-greenhouse of sorts (raised bed covered with plastic) and was able to get one or two pickings from it before it stopped producing. With the onset of more sun and slightly warmer temps it has rejuvenated and is starting to produce leaves (it was covered all winter). I'll definitely try them when they get larger, but I wonder how the taste will be?

Tony-

Do you ever let any crops winter-over? I planted spinach late last season in a mini-greenhouse of sorts (raised bed covered with plastic) and was able to get one or two pickings from it before it stopped producing. With the onset of more sun and slightly warmer temps it has rejuvenated and is starting to produce leaves (it was covered all winter). I'll definitely try them when they get larger, but I wonder how the taste will be?

I usually just grow them in narrow plastic pots, so we never have enough for a stand alone salad. We use it in sandwiches, on burgers, etc. So I have eaten them ( this year they died ), but can't really say how great they were.

As a few flakes fall, and I have my likely last crunching snow underfoot while walking the dog (courtesy of tree shadowing near my driveway) I'm appreciative of an otherwise mediocre to poor winter salvaged by a fantastic gorgeous, well-timed snowstorm and blizzard. Long will I remember the fall, the hip deep plus snow, getting a neighbor with a front loader to clear the driveway after the plow guy just shook his head.

And it happened on a weekend!

Barring some freak late March snows or April snows, I feel pretty confident the coastal plain is donezo

Lol...

With one notable exception, basically "done before we'd begun"!

Wondering how much someone would have to pay me not to follow the models all next winter?

Lol...

With one notable exception, basically "done before we began"!

Wondering how much someone would have to pay me not to follow the models all next winter?

I'd be a lot less sleep deprived and my neurosis would be held in check.

I honestly think most of the fun is tracking it. I mean it's great when you get the snowstorm but watching each model roll out is pretty great. 

• Like 2

That's so true and why it would take more than a pretty penny for me to give it up...

Though, all the world's jewels would never be enough to replace watching an overnight blizzard through the beam of a snowlight!!!

• Like 1

Well, Through some unusual quarks you're stuck with the same forecaster for both the short term day and evening. I get to correct my forecasting sins with the 6:30 pm update tonight. It was an interesting briefing with myself this afternoon. 

We had computer updates here today so a lot of our normal stuff is not working now.  :facepalm: