Meteorology, what made you get involved.

tombo82685

First solid interest in weather came with Hurricane Gloria, which knocked a tree down on my mom's car when we were living in Trenton (real Trenton, not the burbs).  A couple years later I became an addict of the Weather Channel.  I started following snow more and more closely as I entered my teens.  The big 90's storms (Superstorm, Winter's 94 and 96) intensified things.  Even still, had I not gotten an invitation to visit the Rutgers meteorology open house early in my senior year, I'm not entirely sure what I would've gone into. 

My dad was running the 911 center down in Virginia about the time I noticed the importance of weather. Every time there was a thunderstorm or snow storm he was required to go into work to aid in emergency response. In the early 1990s Wakefield become our areas WFO and received a WSR-88D radar unit. My dad made sure there was a computer accessible in the 911 center that would display the radar at all times so that dispatchers could be prepared for impending weather. He then reached out the WCM Bill Sammler to have a storm spotter class for the dispatchers that would also train them how to read the radar. I can still remember how proud dad was to incorporate weather in with emergency management and he even brought me down to the 911 center to show me his efforts. In 1993 (I was 9) we had an F4 tornado (rare for central VA) come through Colonial Heights, VA that destroyed a Walmart and killed 4 people. That was a wicked weather day and I can still remember being out on the softball field and how "weird" the atmosphere felt. My dad came rushing down the road in his fire car and ordered everyone to leave to find shelter. We tried to make it home but there were trees blocking the roadway. Basements are not common in our are of Virginia so we headed towards the 911 center because it was located in a basement. I don't actually remember if we made it there or not but I do remember hearing about the tornado the next day. I guess that kick started everything and then it just grew from there. In middle school we had our weather unit in science and I was so excited because my dad had a cool video about the emergency response efforts for the Colonial Heights tornado. Not sure if the rest of my class enjoyed it as much as I did, but I thought it was cool. Here's a news clip about the storm: 

Anyway, guess that was longer than I thought...I could certainly go on and on about all the severe storms/snow storms/ice storms/hurricanes that continued to keep my interest but ultimately it was this tornado that gave me the weather bug.

I'm only a hobbyist, but it was probably the super outbreak of 1974.  I was only 5, but I remember being glued to the TV for a couple of days when my mom was watching the national news.  I became obsessed with tornadoes and reading whatever I could about them.  Probably helped me become a better reader.  I remember reading an encyclopedia entry that went something like "a tornado is violently rotating column of air" or something similar to any family member who would listen (though they probably would've preferred to ignore me, LOL).

When I was six years old I would watch the weather channel as kid, back when it had weather reports and not commercial programming. From that point on my interest grew and grew. I would draw weather maps on rand mc-nally laminated map, plenty of snowstorms of course.  In school like many of you I was the go person for snow days and if lightning was cancel football practice. I still have several broadcast segments I did for the high school news show. I Then branched into physical geography in college as well, besides meteorology/sciences, social studies was a high interest area of study for me. I met the GS-1340 qualifications (NWS job qualification checklist) which is basically a met degree by the time I finished grad school at WKU. While completing my degree, I got a Student Career Experience Program (SCEP) position at the Mount Holly NWS office in 2011 and arrived here in time for Irene and a summer with one flood after the next.  The program allowed for a conversion to a full time position which started in the summer of 2012. 

Always have been and forever will be a fanatic of winter storms. I think what did it for me was the Presidents Day Storm in 2003. Just remember going to TWC's website and seeing that "Heavy Snow" icon for almost 24 hours straight was just perfect. Started getting into storms more and more each winter, finding weather boards (The glorious Easternuswx days lol) and then meeting people like Tom and Brian and realizing they live within minutes of me lol. 

Also going to the Easternuswx conference back in like 2007 and seeing DT talk and Paul Kocin it was awesome. Putting faces to usernames on a board was certainly fun haha. 

I've always been drawn to weather for as long as I can remember.

I used to be afraid of thunderstorms, and then I just started liking them. I remember back in my younger years,

Around 10-12yrs old, going down to the end of my street around dawn, and watching the back end of a thunderhead put on this amazing lightning show.

And who didn't love a snow day as a kid?

Anyhow, always used to watch the weather Chanel while other kids were playing Nintendo. What a nerd!! Haha.