The 2/4 MJO driven weeklies

Mitchg

So much run to run differences I have little confidence in the weeklies tonight. My guesses are based on that they will follow the MJO wheel for better or worse. 

Week 1  no guess

Week 2  no guess

Week 3 +3

Week 4 +2

As for myself, I think plenty of things to track the next two weeks. A relaxation should be in the offering for week 3 but not sure how long it lasts. I could see winter come back for week 4. Not high confidence. Since I have access to the EPS now, I won't guess weeks 1 and 2 since I can see them before the weeklies come out. 

Mike Ventrice: 

Gotta take tonight's ECMWF weekly run with a grain of salt. Already big changes to the 12Z EPS when compared to the 0Z run.

week 1 +pna/-ao/slightly -epo/+nao

week 2  +pna/-ao/+epo/e-nao/split flow

week 3 +pna/-epo/-ao/+nao/ split flow

week 4+pna/-epo/-ao/neutral nao/split flow

for all those who canceled winter after monday's weeklies, thursdays weeklies uncanceled the canceled winter naysayers 

week 1 +pna/-ao/slightly -epo/+nao

week 2  +pna/-ao/+epo/e-nao/split flow

week 3 +pna/-epo/-ao/+nao/ split flow

week 4+pna/-epo/-ao/neutral nao/split flow

for all those who canceled winter after monday's weeklies, thursdays weeklies uncanceled the canceled winter naysayers

Reloading on cold by end of week 3 into central conus, warmup looks like it lasts about 5 days now.

• Like 1

So much run to run differences I have little confidence in the weeklies tonight. My guesses are based on that they will follow the MJO wheel for better or worse. 

Week 1  no guess

Week 2  no guess

Week 3 +3

Week 4 +2

As for myself, I think plenty of things to track the next two weeks. A relaxation should be in the offering for week 3 but not sure how long it lasts. I could see winter come back for week 4. Not high confidence. Since I have access to the EPS now, I won't guess weeks 1 and 2 since I can see them before the weeklies come out. 

Mike Ventrice: 

Gotta take tonight's ECMWF weekly run with a grain of salt. Already big changes to the 12Z EPS when compared to the 0Z run.

How do we know which one is right?  Could it be a rogue day run? Could it be onto something?  I would glean there is more uncertainty (as if there wasn't enough already) until the 00z eps either corroborated it or disputed it.