Any way to get FB threads added here?

WeatherOrNot

I was wondering if there's any way for you guys to add the same posts, forecasts, etc that go on the FB page onto this forums as well?    I've wondered about that for a while since the follow-up posts on FB are pretty shallow and sidesteps the more "dedicated" (OCD?) community here, and that's sort of the "main product" of phillywx and is fully detached from most of the discussion.

But I've also noticed FB becoming much more draconian this past week or two.   On the mobile app it now requires a capatcha just to load the page, and on the PC app it now demands logging in.  This can be sidestepped (for now) by hitting Esc. but I imagine that hole will be patched and viewing the official phillywx posts will require an FB logon.  As someone who will never. ever.  EVER!! have an FB logon at any cost EVER, that's fairly depressing.   And despite it's popularity, I'm certainly not alone in that.  

And in the absence of the great FB posts, I'll just have to badger Tony Mitch. ;)

I was wondering if there's any way for you guys to add the same posts, forecasts, etc that go on the FB page onto this forums as well?    I've wondered about that for a while since the follow-up posts on FB are pretty shallow and sidesteps the more "dedicated" (OCD?) community here, and that's sort of the "main product" of phillywx and is fully detached from most of the discussion.

But I've also noticed FB becoming much more draconian this past week or two.   On the mobile app it now requires a capatcha just to load the page, and on the PC app it now demands logging in.  This can be sidestepped (for now) by hitting Esc. but I imagine that hole will be patched and viewing the official phillywx posts will require an FB logon.  As someone who will never. ever.  EVER!! have an FB logon at any cost EVER, that's fairly depressing.   And despite it's popularity, I'm certainly not alone in that.  

And in the absence of the great FB posts, I'll just have to badger Tony Mitch. ;)

You'll have to ask either Tom or Adam on that. Though I don't think it would be much to set-up a new topic just with facebook posts copied over given enough interest. 

If I'm not mistaken, to read our content, you need to be a member. The purpose of this was to eliminate excess traffic on the servers. (The more traffic, the more expensive server you need).

As far as the Phillywx fb page goes, that's all handled by PHLWX. The forum was a joint venture between adam, tom, & Tom. So while they share the same name, it's two different entities. It's why you usually don't see the forecasts of PHLWX in the forum.

If I'm not mistaken, to read our content, you need to be a member. The purpose of this was to eliminate excess traffic on the servers. (The more traffic, the more expensive server you need).

As far as the Phillywx fb page goes, that's all handled by PHLWX. The forum was a joint venture between adam, tom, & Tom. So while they share the same name, it's two different entities. It's why you usually don't see the forecasts of PHLWX in the forum.

Actually we opened it up last fall to non members to be able to read the forum, but I don't think they can see pictures.

You'll have to ask either Tom or Adam on that. Though I don't think it would be much to set-up a new topic just with facebook posts copied over given enough interest. 

I could do some cross-posting of my FB content into here. If it's anything original and not just a link to an article outside, I could cross-post it but probably as a link back to FB.

The forum is definitely intended for more in depth weather discussion than what social media is used for...and I think what most of the social audience is used to. I will post some good information occasionally from here over there but I *should* do it more often.

When I decided to shut my blog down and brand with these guys, it was a matter of convenience and timing given where things were at for my professionally from a time standpoint and also with the group that was working with me and their ability to help out.

Sorry, I posted this and lost track of my own post!

That's interesting, I don't think I ever realized the relationship between the FB page and forum.   I originally followed the blog, and came here when you were redirecting people on its closure, but I really just thought of the FB page as the social media posts from the phillywx "home" (the forum) rather than you guys being technically separate entities.  Makes sense when I think about it, but I never linked the two.

The immediate issue seems to have dissipated, the FB page isn't demanding a login like it was when I posted this.  The capatchas on the mobile page are still there, but while that's massively irritating, it's not the same kind of problem the mandatory logins on the desktop site were.  I swear I'll staple my eyelids shut before I ever create a Facebook account. :angry:

That said, I'd still like to see the forecasts, analysis posts of "happening" weather (t-storm tracking, squall lines with the radar snaps, etc) posts dual posted here sometime.  There's been plenty of them that I'd have commented on and been interested in seeing the more in depth conversations that would take place here versus what the FB crowd posts.  I've wanted to see that for a long time, BUT, I also realize that might be time consuming.  Great convo or not, I'm not as bothered about it so long as the info is freely accessible somewhere without selling your soul for a login.  Those forecasts and tracking updates are gold, and succinct, and while I love reading (and prodding) Ray and Mitch and the crew, most of their content makes a lot more sense AFTER I've read your distillation of the ideas ;)

Sorry, I posted this and lost track of my own post!

That's interesting, I don't think I ever realized the relationship between the FB page and forum.   I originally followed the blog, and came here when you were redirecting people on its closure, but I really just thought of the FB page as the social media posts from the phillywx "home" (the forum) rather than you guys being technically separate entities.  Makes sense when I think about it, but I never linked the two.

The immediate issue seems to have dissipated, the FB page isn't demanding a login like it was when I posted this.  The capatchas on the mobile page are still there, but while that's massively irritating, it's not the same kind of problem the mandatory logins on the desktop site were.  I swear I'll staple my eyelids shut before I ever create a Facebook account. :angry:

That said, I'd still like to see the forecasts, analysis posts of "happening" weather (t-storm tracking, squall lines with the radar snaps, etc) posts dual posted here sometime.  There's been plenty of them that I'd have commented on and been interested in seeing the more in depth conversations that would take place here versus what the FB crowd posts.  I've wanted to see that for a long time, BUT, I also realize that might be time consuming.  Great convo or not, I'm not as bothered about it so long as the info is freely accessible somewhere without selling your soul for a login.  Those forecasts and tracking updates are gold, and succinct, and while I love reading (and prodding) Ray and Mitch and the crew, most of their content makes a lot more sense AFTER I've read your distillation of the ideas ;)

Yeah - the forecasting stuff on FB is me (with snow I usually get the input of am19 and tombo to make sure the maps are good) as is the seasonal outlooks that I do for winter and occasionally for hurricanes. I don't get to (nor want to) be involved in the forum decision-making...those guys have got it on lock. I could post more stuff here from there but a lot of it would be duplicity of what's been discussed in various threads.