4/21 Small hail and gusty winds obs

tombo82685

Impressive action is blowing through Princeton/W Windsor right now.  Mostly wind, a couple of CG strokes.  Radar shows it weakening as it moves through central NJ, as usual.

Looks as though it has already passed through.  Sky is lightening already.  Looks like Philly area got the most of it.

ED - Radar shows it reforming as it moves east toward the shore.

the 71 mph gust at PHL would tie the 4th highest wind gust on record at Philadelphia:

1. 94 mph - 10/15/1954, Hazel

2. 88 mph - 7/14/1931

3. 75 mph - 6/24/2010, some Delco folks may remember that one......

4. 71 mph - 6/1/1998, F2 tornado that morning in the Byberry Industrial Park in far NE Philly

• Like 1

Will never forget that storm in 2010. Even though I missed the actual storm the aftermath was insane

That was without a doubt the most impressive storm I've experienced first hand. I remember running to my car leaving work as the first winds began picking up. As I was leaving the parking lot an incredible gust knocked down several trees just behind me. Then began the torrential rain and the largest hail I've seen in person (I think close to golf ball from what I remember).. I actually became concerned for the first time in my life due to weather and pulled under a gas station to avoid the hail - my car had about 100 small dents at that point already. As it pulled away and I continued home it was like driving through the aftermath of a small tornado, trees and large branches down everywhere you looked. Several northwest facing siding looked like it had been shot with a machine gun due to the wind blown hail. Fun stuff!

That was without a doubt the most impressive storm I've experienced first hand. I remember running to my car leaving work as the first winds began picking up. As I was leaving the parking lot an incredible gust knocked down several trees just behind me. Then began the torrential rain and the largest hail I've seen in person (I think close to golf ball from what I remember).. I actually became concerned for the first time in my life due to weather and pulled under a gas station to avoid the hail - my car had about 100 small dents at that point already. As it pulled away and I continued home it was like driving through the aftermath of a small tornado, trees and large branches down everywhere you looked. Several northwest facing siding looked like it had been shot with a machine gun due to the wind blown hail. Fun stuff!

Yea I remember driving home from work to drexel hill and it took like triple the time because of all the roads closed. I think the phils were playing that day too

yea, they put a john deere cart on it and the tarp drug the vehicle with it. Also through some of the grounds crew around.

I remember seeing the scoreboard sign about the severe warning.

A severe thunderstorm knocked down numerous trees in the southern half of Philadelphia. There were 184 calls of downed trees with the Southwest Philadelphia and Cobbs Creek areas hit the hardest. A few streets were blocked by downed trees. Downed trees also blocked some of the lanes on the Schuylkill Expressway. Part of the roof was torn from the New Light Beulah Baptist Church on Bainbridge Street and crushed two vehicles. Downed trees crushed a fence at Saint John Neumann Place in South Philadelphia. The awning of a banquet hall on West Oxford Street collapsed. The severe thunderstorm also lifted the tarp at Citizen Bank Baseball Park into the air. Trolley Wires were knocked down in the University City area.

More on the 24th:

Severe thunderstorms caused considerable tree damage and two injuries during the afternoon of the 24th across southeastern Pennsylvania. PECO Energy reported about 215,000 customers lost power, the 11th worst outage in company history. Chester and Delaware Counties were hit the hardest. as of 1201 a.m. EDT on the 25th, 190,000 customers were without power. That number dropped to 152,000 at Noon EDT on the 25th and 75,000 at 11 p.m. EDT on the 25th. Power was not fully restored until the 28th. The utility had to replace 140 poles, 140 pole top transformers, 900 pole cross arms and twenty miles of electrical cable. Regional rail lines were affected as downed trees blocked some routes. SEPTA delayed or suspended train service south of Philadelphia. All train service was not fully restored until the evening of the 25th. Downed trees also blocked lanes of the Schuylkill Expressway in Philadelphia and the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Chester County. Philadelphia International's 75 mph wind gust was the third highest on record.