Present day winter expectations and how they've become skewed.

Baseball0618

While I was reading some banter on other sites I found these two quotes from people in the nyc forum that I read that I find just crazy.

Haven't had a 20" + storm since 2010-2011, so I'm kind of starving for one. We will see with this one . 

Feel your pain haven't had one here since we got 22 in 2013.

granted these are from people in NYC and CT, but the expectations people have are insane now due to the last 5+ years that we've seen an anomalously large number of large snowfall events on the east coast.  Maybe I am wrong b/c I don't have statistics to reference when it comes to the commonality of 20"+ snowfall events, but I feel fairly safe in saying that people's expectations in general have gotten really skewed due to the recent winters we've experienced.  I am 37 and I can remember probably an 8 to 10 year span where I don't think we even sniffed 12" let alone 20".  Anyway I though this was interesting to see what this new generation of "weenies" sets the bar at.  I always used 10" growing up as a rule of thumb for a "big storm".  

• Like 2

They are sounding more and more like Yankees fans (Of which I am one) that complain when the Yankees don't make it to the World Series every year. I am sure Philly has gone more than a decade once or twice in my lifetime (54) without a 10 inch event and growing up in the Bronx, it wasn't an inalienable right to have a double digit event every year either. Funny even the NYC media growing up wouldn't consider it a big storm unless it was double digits either.

• Like 1

They are sounding more and more like Yankees fans (Of which I am one) that complain when the Yankees don't make it to the World Series every year. I am sure Philly has gone more than a decade once or twice in my lifetime (54) without a 10 inch event and growing up in the Bronx, it wasn't an inalienable right to have a double digit event every year either. Funny even the NYC media growing up wouldn't consider it a big storm unless it was double digits either.

Spoiled youth! 

• Like 1

Sometimes I just want to say to them to spend a winter here. While they've had multiple big ones, those storms have fringed us - while they've gotten 1-2 feet, we've gotten 1-2 inches. It's ridiculous that our snowfall is AOB what they're recording on a consistent basis like this.

I have seen three 6"+ snowstorms since 2007 and two 10"+, both in 2009-10. One of the former and none of the latter since that winter.

• Like 1

Philadelphia went without a double digit snow from December of 1966 until January of 1978, then again from February of 1983 until March of 1993.  During those two periods, there were only 7 events that reached 6 inches.

This is great. Thank you. I knew my childhood and adolescent years were not filled with many huge snowstorms.

• Like 1

I can almost count the number of foot+ storms I experienced in Ewing during my 22 years of official residence on one hand.  1983, 1993, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2003.  Since then: 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011. 

Man, the 80s were aweful. 

from November to presidents day, any snow is good in my book regardless if its an inch or 20. I will always have this mentality, I would rather have 20 1" storms than 1 20" storm for the winter.

As someone who's lived in a place where we actually get 20 1" storms and no 20" storms... thanks, but no thanks.  I'll take my one big one and be happy :)

We (NYC, Philly, the I-95 crowd) live in an area where snowfall is highly variable from year to year. I'm not sure of what the statistical noise is here compared to other parts of the country but I would imagine that our std deviation boundaries rank pretty high compared to Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Chicago, and other cities generally within the 39-42 N zone.

I'd have to think only Buffalo, Syracuse, and the lake cities have a higher std deviation.

Weenies have very short memories. They think every winter is supposed to be like '96, '10, '78 all rolled into one.

As someone who's lived in a place where we actually get 20 1" storms and no 20" storms... thanks, but no thanks.  I'll take my one big one and be happy :)

Absolutely! I'v said it before on other forums and in other threads. I average around 40" per winter, and for me, I'd rather have 4 ten inch storms than 20 two inch ones. Much more rewarding, and less messy and frustrating.