3/16 Weeklies, The Ring of Ridgeness, The Ring of Ridgeness

Could we push this to Jul-Aug.

If this kind of cold anomaly is still occurring in July and August, I'm going to kill myself. I'm beginning tho think this is going to be the year without a summer, and at the very least another mid May leaf-out.

If this kind of cold anomaly is still occurring in July and August, I'm going to kill myself. I'm beginning tho think this is going to be the year without a summer, and at the very least another mid May leaf-out.

I agree entirely.   Normally I hate hot summers (almost) as much as cold winters, but after last years pseudo-summer I'd like to be reminded that hot weather can still be a thing here.  I keep getting this doomed sense that for the next decade or two we've become a deep northern climate with permanent winter and brief summer like MN. As long as that blasted ridge persists, we seem stuck in a never ending groundhog day of misery. I think my questions about the ridge got abandoned again on another thread...

Though every time I start to hate the thought of a cold summer, I remember how miserably 2010 was - mega snow cold winter, followed by mega hot summer followed by mega snow cold winter.  That made for 3 unbearable seasons back to back.  it makes me appreciate the cool summer last year a little more. The mid-may leaf-out wasn't such a bad thing (I hate when the leaves are already out by late March, it feels like we missed Spring) - but couple that with the May hail storm that then shredded those new leaves so we had no leaves until late June and it felt like a post-apocalyptic experience. 

Give me April weather and let me keep it 12 months a year.  Maybe if I send Tony a big enough check he can make it happen.  Or at least lie to me on official reports so I can pretend it's happening.  Hey Tony, how much does that sort of service cost?  We can get together and pool our money here or something ;)

(Moved from "never to early or late" thread since this is where I intended to post it to begin with until my tablet decided to randomly post it in a different tab, and I just figured out I can delete posts myself!)

I think I'd asked this in another thread a while back but it rapidly got burred behind whatever big storm was going on at the time.  (And correct any bad assumptions here), but if our persisting cold these two years has been largely due to the west ridge which is largely due to the elevated SSTs in the Pac, which is also the cause of the CA droughts, I'm sure a similar setup has existed in the past.  I know the Dec/Jan PDO was the highest recorded, but in the past when such elevated SSTs pool in the west, and ridge, and cause this dipole pattern, does anyone know what years they were,  how long have they generally stuck that way before being dislodged, and what triggers ultimately dislodged it in each case?

(Moved from "never to early or late" thread since this is where I intended to post it to begin with until my tablet decided to randomly post it in a different tab, and I just figured out I can delete posts myself!)

I think I'd asked this in another thread a while back but it rapidly got burred behind whatever big storm was going on at the time. (And correct any bad assumptions here), but if our persisting cold these two years has been largely due to the west ridge which is largely due to the elevated SSTs in the Pac, which is also the cause of the CA droughts, I'm sure a similar setup has existed in the past. I know the Dec/Jan PDO was the highest recorded, but in the past when such elevated SSTs pool in the west, and ridge, and cause this dipole pattern, does anyone know what years they were, how long have they generally stuck that way before being dislodged, and what triggers ultimately dislodged it in each case?

You might get answers to this if you offer to pay someone to do this research for you. If you wanted you probably could get this information on your own if you are willing to spend the time to do the necessary research.

You might get answers to this if you offer to pay someone to do this research for you. If you wanted you probably could get this information on your own if you are willing to spend the time to do the necessary research.

You might be right.  Since it's personal interest and curiosity, not a research project or a business need, kind of hard to justify paying someone to research weather anomalies :)  And I have zero idea what I'm really looking at/for to do it myself, otherwise I'd have done it already.  TBH I didn't know it was complicated enough to be an issue.  I figured it was a quick query over some charts like temp and snowfall records :blush: