The "Official" what are you drinking thread

13 hours ago, JimCaruso said:

WOW!!! Love Pumking and love nitro beers, I didn’t even know this existed!!! Where can I get this???

Thought Pumking nitro would be an obscure/niche Nd hard to find product, but I was excited to see a stack of four-packs in Acme this morning. It was too early to purchase, but I will be back there later!

Looks like this upcoming week will not be a time to be drinking fall beers quite yet...

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't you all think I should be placed atop The forum leaderboard for this post?

Yard work done for the day

Posted Images

On 9/6/2020 at 9:51 AM, JimCaruso said:

Thought Pumking nitro would be an obscure/niche Nd hard to find product, but I was excited to see a stack of four-packs in Acme this morning. It was too early to purchase, but I will be back there later!

Looks like this upcoming week will not be a time to be drinking fall beers quite yet...

They have it a Wegmans and it wouldn't surprise me if it's also at Whole Foods, but glad you found it at Acme!

• Like 1
On 9/5/2020 at 8:42 PM, JimCaruso said:

Had a few Neshaminy Creek Croydon Cream Ales during the day today and with my ribs. After dinner, a little Widow Jane bourbon and George Dickel Rye. Sorry no pics. Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Nice! I'm a big rye fan in particular, but also bourbon in general.

• Like 1
On 9/2/2020 at 11:13 AM, frankdp23 said:

That is very true too.  Last year I had this dogfish head berry type beer that was like 17% alcohol and loved it.  Bought 2 more this year, and when I opened one last week it was gross.  I actually used the second one in my smoker making pulled pork, lol. 

Now I'm nervous trying the pumpkin one again this year.  :)

Check it out Frank!

DA1CDFB2-8767-4954-935C-064E5937D876.jpeg

• Like 1
16 hours ago, greg ralls said:

Nice! I'm a big rye fan in particular, but also bourbon in general.

I've been on a rye kick lately - in addition to the Dickel, I have recently enjoyed Rittenhouse 100 Rye and Sazerac Rye, and I have a Woodford Rye for "special occasions". I read about High West Double Rye, sounded interesting, picked up a bottle but haven't opened it yet.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on for a while and have had quite a number of good beers. This is a very good one (if you are a fan of this style, which I am). I hope everyone is enjoying their libation of choice!

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 11.58.21 AM.png

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, eastonwx said:

I haven't been on for a while and have had quite a number of good beers. This is a very good one (if you are a fan of this style, which I am). I hope everyone is enjoying their libation of choice!

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 11.58.21 AM.png

I've been looking for a new Oktoberfest... Marzens are a Top 3 beer style for me! Thanks. 

• Like 2
On 9/16/2020 at 9:48 PM, irishbri74 said:

Whiskey season is back! 

(I tend to drink Vodka in the summer, whiskey in the fall/winter.) 

BDD1E474-FFE5-4E1E-936A-D79FF14616FD.jpeg

I am similar in saving the "brown stuff" for fall / winter, although this past summer I deviated from that and was drinking a little more whiskey, especially the ones aged in rum casks - gives more of a connection to summer. But now it's definitely the season! I bought some Redbreast, heard it was great but haven't tried it yet. Question, what is that inserted into the glass on the right side?

I am working through some leftover beers from *last* fall before I dig into my newest additions. Over the weekend, I had a Whole Hog pumpkin. I can't remember what prompted me to buy it last year, but I had forgotten how good it is. If you like a pumpkin pie taste - as opposed to just a pumpkin pie *spice* taste - I recommend it.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, JimCaruso said:

I am working through some leftover beers from *last* fall before I dig into my newest additions. Over the weekend, I had a Whole Hog pumpkin. I can't remember what prompted me to buy it last year, but I had forgotten how good it is. If you like a pumpkin pie taste - as opposed to just a pumpkin pie *spice* taste - I recommend it.

Completely agree. I can’t find my favorite pumpkin beer anywhere this year (Big Oyster’s Pumpkin Shuckin - tastes like a Sweetzel ginger snap cookie) so I’m trying a bunch of different brews and Whole Hog was very good.  If any has seen Big Oyster in the central/upper bucks co. area let me know!

• Like 1

Had this last night, had bought as a single earlier this year just to give it a try, being a gin lover I thought the juniper would be interesting. I wasn’t particularly impressed. It was different but a bit odd. I decided to try this after I opened an Oktoberfest can from last year that was filled with “floaties” so I discarded it. I had one of the same Oktoberfests last week, hope I didn’t just fail to notice the floaties because I drank it and enjoyed it! 😬

BD7394B0-C84D-4124-8572-A171E0026559.jpeg

Currently - well, not at this moment - alternating between Angel's Envy and Jefferson Reserve for my Old Fashioneds.  I highly recommend both.  The cheaper Jefferson's Very Small Batch is also excellent.  Can be had for around $30/bottle, which is criminally affordable for such a tasty beverage.

• Like 2

I’m more of a Manhattan guy than an Old Fashioned guy and after much experimentation finally settled upon a favorite combination of ingredients and proportions:

2.5 oz Sazerac Rye

1/2 oz Dolin sweet vermouth

1/2 Punt e Mes vermouth 

I like to switch it up, I’m not one that has to have it the same way every time, but this is among the smoothest and most balanced recipes.

It you want a stiffer drink, try 100 proof Rittenhouse 100 Rye. Inexpensive and makes a great Manhattan, but definitely has a bit more of a bite than the recipe above.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

On 10/18/2020 at 8:44 AM, frankdp23 said:

Was at a small gathering yesterday and had some Mad Elf.  I saw at Wegmans that the Xmas beers were out.  This year is flying by.

I hate that buying beer has become like buying clothes, always a season ahead. Who the heck wants to think about Christmas beers already?!? And then while still in the mood for fall beers, or you hear about something interesting you want to try, you can’t even find it anymore!

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, JimCaruso said:

I hate that buying beer has become like buying clothes, always a season ahead. Who the heck wants to think about Christmas beers already?!? And then while still in the mood for fall beers, or you hear about something interesting you want to try, you can’t even find it anymore!

Totally agree.  I went to Wegmans in mid-August to try to pick up the one Summer beer that I like for my vacation, and all the Fall beers were out.  I was lucky to find 1 six pack of a similar Summer beer, but it was so annoying. 

• Like 2

My wife picked this up for me the other day.  The reviews look fantastic.  It's an Irish Whiskey that is aged in both bourbon barrels and cognac.  Can't wait to try it.

971591C8-0DC5-4D72-BB9F-63A7A22CF374_1_2

• Like 4
On 9/21/2020 at 12:51 PM, JimCaruso said:

I am similar in saving the "brown stuff" for fall / winter, although this past summer I deviated from that and was drinking a little more whiskey, especially the ones aged in rum casks - gives more of a connection to summer. But now it's definitely the season! I bought some Redbreast, heard it was great but haven't tried it yet. Question, what is that inserted into the glass on the right side?

Jim; 

I apologize. Just seeing this now. Just a head of a bullet. Cool Gift from a family member. 

• Like 1