3/5 weeklies..surely warmth in sight...

I used 600 gallons of propane since January 26th! This cold is expensive!

Wow..

What's your thermostat set at?

Why don't we hear about "degree days" any longer...

Too confusing to folks?

Yes!

I recall as a kid they updated us daily on the NOAA weather radio broadcasts

With (actual/average) daily and ytd cooling and heating degree days info.

This dates back to the 70s/80s...

Anyone recall this?

• Like 1

I hope August is -9, -9, -9, -9.

July, not August.  August usually starts cooling anyway.

Hopefully not in July.

YES! The pattern breaker has been set! It ends in July! ;)

I used 600 gallons of propane since January 26th! This cold is expensive!

Now you're finally understanding some of the nightmare of winter! ;)  Last two Jan & Feb between heating fuel, electric, and water (leaving the pipes running for 2 months straight including the water heater) I've been up to over $800/mo! Normal years would be no more than $450 for everything. And that doesn't include all the unexpected emergency repairs to everythiing!

Why don't we hear about "degree days" any longer...

Too confusing to folks?

Very like this.  I've wondered what happened to that too, and beyind energy measurement it's, honestly a far more practical measurement overall than  daily min/max which is almost worthelss except for tracking records.   A day like yesterday that had a low of 5.7 here but a morning high of 32 is a very different day from a day that had a long, late mid day high that went down to 5.7 at night briefly, which is different from a day that had a midnight high then crashed at 2AM and sat in the teens all day going to 5.7.   3 different days with the same min/max but extremely different actual temperature days.  Degree days shows that.  Min/max does not. It was a good tool that's all but vanished outside industry news.

• Like 1

Nice....

Btw...

For those who can, if you have a boiler heating your house invest in an indirect hot water heater where the already hot water that runs through your radiators/baseboards is redirected to a domestic hot water holding tank and runs through tubes in the tank to very efficiently heat your hot water!!!

I converted from electric hot water several years ago and repaid it within the first year...

Awesome and it gives you endless hot water (winter and summer) as the tank only looses 1-2 degrees/24 hours!

Very like this.  I've wondered what happened to that too, and beyind energy measurement it's, honestly a far more practical measurement overall than  daily min/max which is almost worthelss except for tracking records.   A day like yesterday that had a low of 5.7 here but a morning high of 32 is a very different day from a day that had a long, late mid day high that went down to 5.7 at night briefly, which is different from a day that had a midnight high then crashed at 2AM and sat in the teens all day going to 5.7.   3 different days with the same min/max but extremely different actual temperature days.  Degree days shows that.  Min/max does not. It was a good tool that's all but vanished outside industry news.

Actually, degree days do NOT show that.  Degree days are simply the daily average (min+max divided by two), with heating degrees being the average subtracted from 65, and cooling degrees being 65 subtracted from the average.  All three days you describe would get you the same degree day value.

• Like 1

Yes!

Anyone recall this?

I remember broadcasting them on NOAA weather radio. 

• Like 1

Yes!

Anyone recall this?

Yes, and they still do, at least during the morning hours. I have an AM/FM/WX radio in my big truck and usually listen to the forecasts in the morning on my way to my first delivery. They do a daily climate summary which includes:

High and low temp for the previous day and departure from normal

Heating/cooling degree days (including departures from normal)

Previous day's precipitation

Yearly and seasonal precipitation and departure from normal

Previous day's snowfall (if applicable)

Current snow on the ground

Yearly and seasonal total snowfall and departures from normal.

Average high and low for the current day

• Like 2

Actually, degree days do NOT show that.  Degree days are simply the daily average (min+max divided by two), with heating degrees being the average subtracted from 65, and cooling degrees being 65 subtracted from the average.  All three days you describe would get you the same degree day value.

Really?  I always misunderstood them, then.  Darn.

We seriously need a new system in place which addresses the issues I mentioned.  It's rediculous that thiis is the 21st century and we still don't even track real temperatures, as though we don't understand that max and min does not represent the other 22 hours of a day.  Even just averaging the hourly.  How on earth are we still not addressing the real temperature of the day? It's one of those obvious "how does nobody see this?" kind of problems.

Yeah, you couldn't copare against historical data since that data doesn't exist from the past, but that would be as good a reason to not add a better metric as saying we shouldn't measure snow anymore because the old snow measuring techniques were flawed.

• Like 1

DD play a huge role in my industry to because there is a certain amount of degree days where certain pests or when poa seedheads emerge that we have to make chemical sprays for.

• Like 1