Rain to Sleet to Snow Obs - 3/4 to 3/5 (Part 2)

JCT777

Back home after a few days away....41 with rain. Shaded areas of the driveway/sidewalk had 2-3" of snow/sleet from the past 2 events. Same shaded areas were a sheet of ice at the surface under the snow/sleet pack as well. Unshaded part of the driveway had melted fully on its own.

On my drive home I went through a lot of snow covered open areas (Chubbs, I take the scenic route on Appleton to and from Newark), and the ground fog was beautiful. Also interesting was the wide variation in temps - as low as 37 and as high as 41. There is still quite a good amount of snow cover, with lots of puddling on the roads from no drainage. Tomorrow will be a mess around here!

I made assumptions about somewhat earlier times; I think that if your times are right Tom, amounts will be towards the low end.  Good thing my current range is 4-8 ;)

most of the stuff I have seen shows phl flipping over around 12z...abe nw burbs 6z-9z range

yea, see the nam is a little later than that. It's between 9z-12z. 9z looks like sleet with warm mid levels, but by 12z its easily snow. Again it was just rough changeover times.

I don't knw, this sounding looks like its changing to snow to me.  9Z at PHL

post-20-0-39623500-1425514331.gif

I don't knw, this sounding looks like its changing to snow to me.  9Z at PHL

attachicon.gifPHL9z.gif

yea it probably is. I just saw the mini warm layer at 9z. Thats assuming the model is accurately portraying the cold push if it doesn't get hung up or what not. 

http://68.226.77.253/text/META212/NAM212_Kphl.txt

yea it probably is. I just saw the mini warm layer at 9z. Thats assuming the model is accurately portraying the cold push if it doesn't get hung up or what not. 

http://68.226.77.253/text/META212/NAM212_Kphl.txt

Yeah its probalby not completely snow at 9Z, but very close, and definitely by 10Z its over to snow based on the 12Z temps.

So it went from 60s to 32 in Lexington KY and it's pouring snow there so this thing has strength.

glad to see someone else posting on my home airport. Looked like a lot of places are getting an inch per hour there.