We're running one week ahead of average at PHL since 1/1 on snow

BeerandWXTogether

Yeah, I'll take my snow whenever it comes. I understand the idea of snow in December having more staying power due to lower sun angle and shorter amounts of daylight compared to February and March...but I enjoy a 6" snowstorm in mid-March as much as a 6" snowstorm in mid-December.

• Like 2

Jan + Feb average at PHL (1981-2010) is 14.9"

Snowfall since 1/1 is 14.9"

We have a week left and maybe a storm next weekend. At worst, we're average for J + F and we pulled 10" this month.

To all of you whining about how bad winter has been, it hasn't been that bad outside of December.

December was horrid. Still would need another bigger storm to reach average from PHL SE for the year. This winter will be known for sustained cold here. Imagine if we had a good ao and nao then this winter would likely have likely met the very high expectations that were set.

Yeah, I'll take my snow whenever it comes. I understand the idea of snow in December having more staying power due to lower sun angle and shorter amounts of daylight compared to February and March...but I enjoy a 6" snowstorm in mid-March as much as a 6" snowstorm in mid-December.

holding onto some today, next chance of melting a lot is Wednesday. Then what's left could hold till the weekend.

It is all about location....here in NW Chesco we are now above normal for normal seasonal snow (currently at 35.7) we have had 31 consecutive days of consecutive snow cover the cold has been more consistent than last year. River ice etc. is some of the greatest we have seen in many years and we have seen the lowest temps in more than 20 years. So above normal snow, below normal temps and sustained snow cover.

While not last year in snow amounts.....it has certainly been a very good winter for those that enjoy winter weather

It is all about location....here in NW Chesco we are now above normal for normal seasonal snow (currently at 35.7) we have had 31 consecutive days of consecutive snow cover the cold has been more consistent than last year. River ice etc. is some of the greatest we have seen in many years and we have seen the lowest temps in more than 20 years. So above normal snow, below normal temps and sustained snow cover.

While not last year in snow amounts.....it has certainly been a very good winter for those that enjoy winter weather

What do you consider "normal" to be, Paul?  ABE's is 32.9 and they are only at 350 feet so I would figure yours is higher than that.

• Like 1

December was horrid. Still would need another bigger storm to reach average from PHL SE for the year. This winter will be known for sustained cold here. Imagine if we had a good ao and nao then this winter would likely have likely met the very high expectations that were set.

I dunno...December was never expected by most to be big (I know I didn't think much of what was to come). We had a couple of near misses (Boston Blizzard) but the winter's been pretty damn good the past 6 weeks despite a less-than-favorable blocking setup for a chunk of it.