Kdix radar

tombo82685

For those wondering, Kdix is not working as of right now, they are out trying to resolve the problem.  This is from nws mt holly

We have been experiencing problems with the KDIX radar since last evening and continue to have problems at this time. Technicians are working to bring the radar back online. We will keep you posted on when the radar is back to being fully operational but in the meantime, please utilize the nearby radars of KDOX, KLWX, KOKX, KCCX, KBGM and KAKQ along with the nearby terminal dopplers.

Not Mitch, but it has not been good. They swap one part, another part goes. They change that part, another part goes.

sounds like an old system that needs to be entirely replaced or something. Though, that probably costs a pretty penny lol

Remember the last time the ROC guys had to come out?  When was that exactly?  Some years ago for sure, but don't recall when anymore.  2006? 2007?

Yeah, although I cannot recall the exact year. I know it was several years ago though. That was when some of the ball bearings for the pedestal broke and got jammed and it would no longer turn (I think there was damage to the motor as well). The entire antenna had to be raised so new bearings could be installed. That was my only visit to the radar site.

I know it was down like a year or so ago for a good bit of time because I remember doing the photoshop of the ghostbusters being attacked by the stay puff marshmellow man. He was holding the dix radar beam and I remember I Had Meola as one of the men lol

Yeah, although I cannot recall the exact year. I know it was several years ago though. That was when some of the ball bearings for the pedestal broke and got jammed and it would no longer turn (I think there was damage to the motor as well). The entire antenna had to be raised so new bearings could be installed. That was my only visit to the radar site.

Mike this has to effect how you issue warnings and what not? I mean how do you issue a warning for say like Berks co or up in lehigh co where the terminal dopplar doesn't reach and they are on the outer limit of every other radar?

Mike this has to effect how you issue warnings and what not? I mean how do you issue a warning for say like Berks co or up in lehigh co where the terminal dopplar doesn't reach and they are on the outer limit of every other radar?

It is a challenge that is for sure. We utilize the terminal Doppler radars as much as possible. Otherwise, we use surrounding Doppler radars as best as we can but it makes it more tough since those radar beams are up higher. At least for our southern areas, we have KDOX.