Why do you meltdown over no snow?

tombo82685

I'm just curious, why do people get so bent out of shape if a winter doesn't deliver snow wise? I mean when you look at it, snow causes major traffic headaches, accidents, and forecasting night mares. In other seasons it doesn't affect people as much if a call for a hot summer turns into a cold summer. Or when a moderate risk severe day turns into passing cirrus clouds, it doesn't get the same reaction. So what is it? Is it the fact that snow is only limited to a certain time of the year unlike rain, so you like the change in things? Do you like the look of snow on the ground on a cold night? Do you like to go out and play in it with your kids? Are you a landscaper that depends on snow removal heavily in the winter time?

Snow is a bizarre beautiful manifestation of water that no one in their wildest dreams could have imagined. The fusion of the gods of ocean, air and cold drifting down over a quiet earth. Magnificent fragile flakes, that silence the hustle and bustle of life. Plus, plowing a snowball at 20 feet right into someone's face is just hilarious.

• Like 4

Can't explain it other than to say that as a child a snow storm was filled with excitement and fun. Anticipation of the storm was

like Christmas Eve.

As an adult snow events create a change in the normal gray dry winter weather. You get out shoveling with neighbors and playing

like a kid again. In addition I enjoy tracking the storms following the models and observing how the professionals reach a forcast

conclusion.

• Like 2

I think for me, I enjoy tracking them on the models and just waiting to see what each model run delivers. Also, I like the change of something new. Rain is just boring cause you see it 12 months out of the year, snow just adds a new twist to it. I also love the snowy landscape right before a sunrises or sets, just pure awesomeness.

• Like 1

For me the build up and tracking is fun, but the storm itself is the ultimate reward. In terms of significant KU type storms the world around you stops. It becomes quiet and peaceful. The filth and dirt disappears everywhere under a beautiful blanket of white glory. You stay home with your families and just enjoy it all. I love to just go outside during a storm to just feel the tranquility of the snow falling and the wind whizzing through the trees. Around here good snowstorms are infrequent enough that they are still kind of a phenomenon so it tends to grab everyone's attention. It's probably the only thing at 37 years old that emotes feelings of being young again.

• Like 1

While I prefer tracking and experiencing snow storms (especially) and non-snow storms, a significant snow storm disrupting our busy lives occurs more often than non-snow storms. I think this is why people enjoy tracking them and have a meltdown when the major storm "promised" by an over-amplified run of the Euro does not come to fruition. I also think that, if tropical storms with East Coast landfalls occurred more frequently, more people would track them and have a meltdown when a run of their favorite model "promised" a tropical storm.

Severe weather is also fun to track, but they're not "promised" by individual runs of the models. Besides, would any rational person have a meltdown when cross-hatching three days out does not end up tearing their house down? I think not.

In summary, I think it has to do with the fact that more folks are apt to track snow storms and are thus more likely to be let down by a run that does not come to fruition. Besides, snow is just so beautiful.

• Like 2