Jump to content

4/27-4/30 Wind, Near/At/Below Freezing Temperatures, 🚩 Warnings, Observations, I Hate This April.


Bananashadow
 Share

Recommended Posts

Days like today bring back “memories” of working the short term desk at Mount Holly in April. The average person sees a windy somewhat annoying stretch, but otherwise meh weather.

 I can imagine the briefing arriving this morning. There might be widely scattered showers today. Watch for possible mvfr ceilings. While you are at it, there are sca on the coastal waters, watch out for gales, might have to think about freeze/frost tonight. Oh yeah might have to issue fire weather products for tomorrow. Hey at least no blow out tides, we think.

Go away April.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Bananashadow said:

Days like today bring back “memories” of working the short term desk at Mount Holly in April. The average person sees a windy somewhat annoying stretch, but otherwise meh weather.

 I can imagine the briefing arriving this morning. There might be widely scattered showers today. Watch for possible mvfr ceilings. While you are at it, there are sca on the coastal waters, watch out for gales, might have to think about freeze/frost tonight. Oh yeah might have to issue fire weather products for tomorrow. Hey at least no blow out tides, we think.

Go away April.

 

3B261EB8-3684-4A69-8E51-A5D8EA3B6C26.png

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

We've been told this April has been "normal". 

The month is still above average at PHL. We've had 80 degree days, when all is said & done 5 of the last 6 weekend days are going to end very pleasant. 2018 & 2020 April's were significantly colder. 

Won't be long & they'll be complaining about heat & humidity so I'll take this over that crap any day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

The month is still above average at PHL. We've had 80 degree days, when all is said & done 5 of the last 6 weekend days are going to end very pleasant. 2018 & 2020 April's were significantly colder. 

Won't be long & they'll be complaining about heat & humidity so I'll take this over that crap any day.

I’ve been getting the same crap on Twitter like a week ago. Philly was 1.5 abv normal temp wise at that point and complaining how cold it was. Did people forget the stretch of 80s we had?  I mean this is April it goes back and forth. Now the wind and that rainy stretch sucked. But temps, meh 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I’ve been getting the same crap on Twitter like a week ago. Philly was 1.5 abv normal temp wise at that point and complaining how cold it was. Did people forget the stretch of 80s we had?  I mean this is April it goes back and forth. Now the wind and that rainy stretch sucked. But temps, meh 

Carl will know this but PHL did have its latest 32F in quite a while. It has been more about the wind with the next three days adding more fuel to the fire. Also we have been getting spoiled with more recent Aprils acting Maylike and now that a more normal April comes along, it stinks especially with lower departures in the 2nd half of month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I’ve been getting the same crap on Twitter like a week ago. Philly was 1.5 abv normal temp wise at that point and complaining how cold it was. Did people forget the stretch of 80s we had?  I mean this is April it goes back and forth. Now the wind and that rainy stretch sucked. But temps, meh 

Yeah we had a backdoor front that stymied a potential warm shot sun-mon but upper 50's / low 60's for a spring BDCF, pretty weak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean at least it's dry, today has a decent amount of clouds (especially north and west) but the next few days are supposed to have a lot of sunshine. Still doesn't hold a candle to Memorial Day Weekend last year - given the time of year maybe the dullest stretch of weather I can ever remember. On the doorstep of June and highs regionwide barely got out of the 40s with 3 days of clouds and rain.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd take this every day until November - then it would be too warm, as opposed to the week after week of 70+ dews which we all know is coming.

Accumulating snow tonight in Colebrook, wish I was there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Locally TTN is slightly below, -0.5, for the month. Contrast that with 2020 in which the 45 day period from 4/1 - 5/15 averaged -4.4 degrees below average. That stretch included the widespread freeze & even snow in the Poconos event on 5/8-5/9.

Additionally this will represent the 3rd out of the past 5 April's averaging colder than normal. The average April temp during that time frame is down 3 degrees from the prior 2010-2017 period.

5/9/2020 am in the Poconos 

20200509_075921.jpg.876f4e94f6be60e2214db59bf26f8b5f.jpg.1188c7c8d7103db2ffe13eba31c45999.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, hasn't been a bad April at all. Sure, more windy days than I'd prefer and a couple of major rain events but many dry days with atleast partial sunshine. Yard is not a swamp heading into May, so that's a good thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Locally TTN is slightly below, -0.5, for the month. Contrast that with 2020 in which the 45 day period from 4/1 - 5/15 averaged -4.4 degrees below average. That stretch included the widespread freeze & even snow in the Poconos event on 5/8-5/9.

Additionally this will represent the 3rd out of the past 5 April's averaging colder than normal. The average April temp during that time frame is down 3 degrees from the prior 2010-2017 period.

5/9/2020 am in the Poconos 

20200509_075921.jpg.876f4e94f6be60e2214db59bf26f8b5f.jpg.1188c7c8d7103db2ffe13eba31c45999.jpg

I was wondering about this period and then remembered everything was closed because of the pandemic including state parks and golf courses. So it could have been 25 or 125 no where to go anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Yeah, hasn't been a bad April at all. Sure, more windy days than I'd prefer and a couple of major rain events but many dry days with atleast partial sunshine. Yard is not a swamp heading into May, so that's a good thing.

Agree. Subtract the wind, all-in-all pretty decent. But if I get pelted with some graupel this afternoon I may have a slightly different opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, eastonwx said:

Agree. Subtract the wind, all-in-all pretty decent. But if I get pelted with some graupel this afternoon I may have a slightly different opinion.

Ha! Now 2-3 rain events the first 10 days of May could put me on early meltdown alert for that month. We shall see...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Locally TTN is slightly below, -0.5, for the month. Contrast that with 2020 in which the 45 day period from 4/1 - 5/15 averaged -4.4 degrees below average. That stretch included the widespread freeze & even snow in the Poconos event on 5/8-5/9.

Additionally this will represent the 3rd out of the past 5 April's averaging colder than normal. The average April temp during that time frame is down 3 degrees from the prior 2010-2017 period.

5/9/2020 am in the Poconos 

20200509_075921.jpg.876f4e94f6be60e2214db59bf26f8b5f.jpg.1188c7c8d7103db2ffe13eba31c45999.jpg

That was awesome.   9" of snow on 5/9 in Colebrook, NH.    Fast forward to tonight, I get no frost with the wind, but how come no freeze warning with a low of 32.    There was a freeze warning the last cold snap with a low of 32 forecast and we're deeper into the growing season now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ACwx said:

I mean at least it's dry, today has a decent amount of clouds (especially north and west) but the next few days are supposed to have a lot of sunshine. Still doesn't hold a candle to Memorial Day Weekend last year - given the time of year maybe the dullest stretch of weather I can ever remember. On the doorstep of June and highs regionwide barely got out of the 40s with 3 days of clouds and rain.

Lord, what a miserable few days that was.  We always get at least one spoiler May weekend (Broad Street 2019 another example), but man did last year take the cake.  At least we get guaranteed improvement this year!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bananashadow said:

I was wondering about this period and then remembered everything was closed because of the pandemic including state parks and golf courses. So it could have been 25 or 125 no where to go anyway.

Whats your favorite thing about cold nw winds in late April?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ACwx said:

I mean at least it's dry, today has a decent amount of clouds (especially north and west) but the next few days are supposed to have a lot of sunshine. Still doesn't hold a candle to Memorial Day Weekend last year - given the time of year maybe the dullest stretch of weather I can ever remember. On the doorstep of June and highs regionwide barely got out of the 40s with 3 days of clouds and rain.

 

Oh that sucked, my family and friends have a huge Memorial day party every year and even a roaring bonfire couldn't save that one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Bananashadow changed the title to 4/27-4/30 Wind, Near/At/Below Freezing Temperatures, 🚩 Warnings, Observations, I Hate This April.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...