Winter Banter Thread

Mitchg

Given the blah pattern I rewrote the song Grinch- Your A Mean One website: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/g/grinch/your_a_mean_one_mr_grinch.html

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.
You really are a Heat Mizer.
You pump up the positive AO. 
You inflate the positive NAO. 
Mr. Grinch.
You're a mild influence on our weather 

You're a monster, Mr. Grinch.
Your heart's is a misplaced Gulf of Alaska Low. 
Your brain is full of fire. 
You've got Warm Air Advection in your soul, Mr Grinch.
I wouldn't touch you with a snowstake. 

You're a vile one, Mr. Grinch.
You cool the stratosphere,
You have all the tender sweetness of a Pacific Airmass
Mr Grinch.
Given the choice between the two of you,
I'd take the Pacific Airmass. 

You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch.
You bring us nasty cold rains.
Your heart is full of desires to push north southeast ridges.
Your soul is full of advection fog.
Mr Grinch

The three best words that best describe you,
Are as follows, and I quote"
Stink!
Stank!
Stunk
!

You're a rotter Mr Grinch
You're the king of warm and wet Christmas's 
Your hearts to warm for winter
Mr Grinch

Your sole is the MJO camping out in phases 4 and 5 
Overflowing with the most disgraceful
low level cold air  with warm mid-levels.

You nauseate me, Mr Grinch
With a noxious super nos
You're a crooked jerky jockey and,
You drive lows into the lakes
Mr Grinch!

You're a three-decker Mizer
And ruin our weather,
With disgusting weather patterns!

• Like 3

WeatherBell Euro data isn't really worth anything anyway ;)

outside their snowfall maps they offer some good products to which you have to pay good money to see. Plus their snowfall maps are pretty much the same as wsi, accuweather, and mda. Vista is the other way around in terms of their snowfall maps where in marginal conditions it's not good, plus the pixelated maps get to me. Like the thanksgiving snow event vista euro maps I don't think had any snow anywhere in se pa, while weatherbell is always to high. What I usually like to do in marginal setups is take vista and weatherbell's maps and take the mid ground of the 2.

outside their snowfall maps they offer some good products to which you have to pay good money to see. Plus their snowfall maps are pretty much the same as wsi, accuweather, and mda. Vista is the other way around in terms of their snowfall maps where in marginal conditions it's not good, plus the pixelated maps get to me. Like the thanksgiving snow event vista euro maps I don't think had any snow anywhere in se pa, while weatherbell is always to high. What I usually like to do in marginal setups is take vista and weatherbell's maps and take the mid ground of the 2.

Hush, you.  Don't you know its sinful to say good things about WeatherBell? ;)

Lol hahaha, Their snow maps are horrid, but outside of that they have some awesome stuff that vista doesn't offer for the same price.

I like WeatherBell, a lot actually, save one particular meteorologist. For example, I don't always agree with Maue, but he is very open to criticism and will reconsider his ideas, which is all you can ask someone.

I like WeatherBell, a lot actually, save one particular meteorologist. For example, I don't always agree with Maue, but he is very open to criticism and will reconsider his ideas, which is all you can ask someone.

Off topic here, but tombo has been giving you slack for the weeklies. Yet,

I haven't seen one EURO PBP from the guy.

Off topic here, but tombo has been giving you slack for the weeklies. Yet,

I haven't seen one EURO PBP from the guy.

Lol, give me a storm to do it, that I have time to do it for, outside weekends and I will. So thats on you to get going.

Anyone know where I could possibly find average yearly snowfall for specific towns around the area? I've been trying ( browsing Google ) to find my average for Malvern, but have came up pretty empty.

this seems pretty low, but this is all i can see. Philly avgs 22.4, no way malvern is an inch higher. Depending on elev i would imagine around 26"? Ray probably has a better idea.

http://average-snowfall.findthebest.com/l/15575/Malvern-Pennsylvania

this seems pretty low, but this is all i can see. Philly avgs 22.4, no way malvern is an inch higher. Depending on elev i would imagine around 26"? Ray probably has a better idea.

Yeah I've seen that site before, and like you said it's low. I've also seen other sites that have it closer to 30" but that seems high. Elevation in town is around 550 ft so it has that going for it. Personally I've been using 27" as my average, but that's just a wag. Been trying to find some hard numbers, but to no avail. Thanks though.

The site claims NOAA is the source, but I call BS on the listed averages or, at the very least, incompetent measurement. I live in Ardmore, which the site claims averages 15 inches per year. There's no way we get 7+ inches less than Philly, considering that with most (not all) storms, we get more snow than what's recorded at PHL. And it seems unlikely that Lafayette Hill, listed at 24.7 inches, averages nearly 10 inches more than Conshohocken (15 inches).

The site claims NOAA is the source, but I call BS on the listed averages or, at the very least, incompetent measurement. I live in Ardmore, which the site claims averages 15 inches per year. There's no way we get 7+ inches less than Philly, considering that with most (not all) storms, we get more snow than what's recorded at PHL. And it seems unlikely that Lafayette Hill, listed at 24.7 inches, averages nearly 10 inches more than Conshohocken (15 inches).

Yea it's most likely wrong. This is actually the best map I have seen, but it doesn't give aprox snow for towns

577x361_12171945_annualsnowpaold.jpg

Anyone know where I could possibly find average yearly snowfall for specific towns around the area? I've been trying ( browsing Google ) to find my average for Malvern, but have came up pretty empty.

Average snowfall?  As in, climatological normal?

Because of the variance in annual snowfall, you really need to have a reliable station which produces it, and those are pretty few and far between for an entire 30 year period.  Best you can do is look at a few stations in your area and make an educated guess.  Also, probably should point out that I've noticed significant flaws in the NCDC normals with snowfall, where they didn't recognize significant missing data was present.  So...  yeah, I could give you an estimate but that's the best I could do.

• Like 1

Average snowfall?  As in, climatological normal?

Because of the variance in annual snowfall, you really need to have a reliable station which produces it, and those are pretty few and far between for an entire 30 year period.  Best you can do is look at a few stations in your area and make an educated guess.  Also, probably should point out that I've noticed significant flaws in the NCDC normals with snowfall, where they didn't recognize significant missing data was present.  So...  yeah, I could give you an estimate but that's the best I could do.

Yeah climatological normal, sorry should of specified. Like you said, I would need multiple stations info over decades to get a rock solid number. Trying to find stations around my area has proven to be a difficult task too.