Meteorological Winter Banter Thread.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saw 2008-09 winter was mentioned today, going thru my pics for that season & found the vast majority were not snow but the most impressive hoarfrost I can ever remember. No snow in these pics, all

I was struck by the clouds during tonight’s sunset. Photo may not do it justice. Tyler

Got my Ambient set up before the snow!! Super pumped about having a PWS.  I do have to work on a better mounting solution long term though 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Captain Lou said:

Driving through Gloucester County NJ. Brine being applied on secondary roads 2 and a half days prior to our 30 minute storm. I guess tomorrow a state of emergency will be declared......JFC lol..

20220114_094408.jpg

Maybe there just giving the local wildlife/deer a tasty treat?

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, frankdp23 said:

Pulled the trigger on an ATV this fall.  It was finally in and picked up right before the last storm and had some fun.  Now yesterday, they called to tell me the plow accessory came in.  That's the weather gods kicking me for having fun after the last storm. 

It's my fault that this was a fail: I bought snow stakes last weekend.

• Like 1

At least we aren't alone on the thrill of the chase, our "rare species" being a stalled noreaster with 2 days of heavy snow.  Here's an excerpt:

"This is what's known in the birdwatching world as "chasing." The Jenkins are constantly on the lookout for rare species and will go out of their way to see them. They've been scanning the horizon for three days..."

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/14/1072706921/one-of-the-rarest-eagles-in-the-world-has-birdwatchers-flocking-to-maine

Any wonder why Sabin had to bench Hurts during the national title game. Stand up guy, leader....is all well & good but he is not a good QB. Piling up wins against the tomato cans of the league & running up stats during garage time is nothing more than fools gold. Since his contract is so advantageous & the draft will be real thin at QB most likely Hurts will remain the starter next season however IMO he ultimately ends up as a backup QB.

Question for mets here.....

Working on a personal data project for some fun now that I got my ambient (logging all the data in my own database). Was looking at calculating daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly averages.

Seems like through some research (and I never knew this) that daily mean temps are calculated using (daily high + daily low) / 2. Is there a reason? Seems like this would cause variations in a non-typical diurnal cycle (like today where it was 5 degrees in the morning, 20 throughout the day, but will get close to 40 for an hour before midnight).

My original idea was to take an hourly average (I'm logging the data every minute, so an average of this), then for daily average, average the 24 hourly readings, and so on for month and year. Or is it better to just take the daily max and daily min and calculate the average of those?

3 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Any wonder why Sabin had to bench Hurts during the national title game. Stand up guy, leader....is all well & good but he is not a good QB. Piling up wins against the tomato cans of the league & running up stats during garage time is nothing more than fools gold. Since his contract is so advantageous & the draft will be real thin at QB most likely Hurts will remain the starter next season however IMO he ultimately ends up as a backup QB.

Didn't Hurts have to come into the national championship game a year later and almost bail Alabama out though?

I do agree though. I think he's a stand up guy but not the QB of the future. I think Wentz has proved he wasn't that guy either though. I think Hurts deserves another season to give it a try - he did still lead the team to the playoffs, in a season where most people had the Eagles winning very few games. 

I also think Sirianni should be willing to switch to Minshew if Hurts struggles. I'm not sold on Minshew, but he looked good in the couple chances he had. 

The unfortunate part is the Eagles are in the mediocre spot meaning they'd have to spend a lot of draft capital to try and draft a top tier QB in the draft even after next season. 

16 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Couldn’t agree more!  He’s extremely deficient as a passer and I don’t see much room for improvement there.