7/29 Enhanced Risk Observations

44 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

What part? My wife and I's first place together was off of Central Ave

My partner P, yours truly and our cat Charlie are living the good life at Paoli North Apartments on East Central Ave. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey fellas, thought I'd check in. I live near welsh/boulevard. I saw the hook forming heading right towards Bensalem so I decided, since I'm crazy, to go drive and chase it. I drove right up the boule

Here I am, perhaps the only actual Plains storm chaser on the forum, coming to the party embarrassingly late... I am in LBI on a family vacation rental, and spent the entire evening pissed off at the

Strongest tornado on record for Bucks County. Not a pimple on the arse of the May 1985 PA outbreak, that was epic by Oklahoma standards let alone PA. Massive long track tornadoes including an F5

Posted Images

Man what a day. I can't wait to see some of the storm reports and footage. Praying for minimal injuries and casualties, some of these were nuts. In particular that long lasting monster tornado with radar visible debris field. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Gaia said:

From inside one of the dealerships in Bensalem. Whoa! 

There's a mobile home park right next to Faulkner, took a beating fortunately no serious injuries.

Bucks County went nearly 22 years, 1997-2019, without reporting a tornado now this is 5 over the last 3 consecutive years.

• Like 6

Amazing day. Thought we dodged a bullet with all the clouds. Never imagined we’d see a long tracked large tornado around here like the one in Bucks/Mercer. A lifetime event around here. I hope all are safe. 

3.30” rain in an hour or so here in Princeton.

• Like 5

The last F2/EF2 tornado in New Jersey was 12 years ago today (7/29/2009) in Sussex county.  The last F3/EF3 tornado to occur anywhere in the CWA was in Lyons of Berks county on 5/31/1998.

• Like 3

No damage, no thunder or lightning that l saw. Did get a nice shower out of it. 

VP2 - 0.65"

Stratus  - 0.64"

0.58" in the bucket

7 - 10 split with the serious stuff north & just south, in yesterday's case that's a good thing

the strongest tornado on record for the metro area is the devastating Limerick F3 back in July 1994, clearly the Bensalem tornado is at least F2, question is do they confirm F3 damage

• Like 2

My nephew follows this guy on Facebook. There are some good pictures of a Lowes and Home Depot damage. HOWEVER, the guy has a couple of drone shots from Washington's Crossing, PA and he is indicating the tornado was 3 miles wide. I have a hard time believing it was 3 miles wide as he states and he is measuring (not sure how he is measuring to be honest) at the cloud and not the ground.

https://www.facebook.com/BucksPAWeather

223998222_374448604045802_9194287382608625731_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=fS0GO-_NdwUAX-05xQ4&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=257dfadf0b3935e50f03339ff7fb9172&oe=61091911

• Like 3

Hey fellas, thought I'd check in. I live near welsh/boulevard. I saw the hook forming heading right towards Bensalem so I decided, since I'm crazy, to go drive and chase it. I drove right up the boulevard and made it to the Wawa near Neshaminy Motel, RIGHT AS THE TORNADO WAS FORMING. I was right up the road from where the tornado hit

I experienced one of the coolest things ever. It was pouring rain with low visibility, and then suddenly as the tornado passed to my North (I believe) the winds quickly changed directions, the sun became visible, and it got extremely gusty. Was a pretty cool experience.

My grandmother lives in the trailer park behind the car dealership that was destroyed. She had just got out of the hospital and my mother was with her. She is located in the back of the park. Luckily, it was the front of the park that took the most damage. She is without power but fine otherwise. 

• Like 11

Here I am, perhaps the only actual Plains storm chaser on the forum, coming to the party embarrassingly late... I am in LBI on a family vacation rental, and spent the entire evening pissed off at the irony that I was in LBI while two bonafide tornadic supercells tracked closer than ever to where I live in Newtown. I couldn’t believe the radar signatures I was seeing around here, Plains-like velocity couplets and hooks... I was completely distracted during a family dinner at a local restaurant, and gave a less-experienced Plains chaser friend in Philly bad advice due to my general cynicism about events in our area, a lack of focus on any data during the day, seeing all the cloud cover, and not paying attention to the developing Bensalem storm while focused on the northern storm and then getting distracted with other things for an hour or so. 

Then the southern storm was heading our way; it didn’t look too good when I first noticed it, but then (another) tornado warning was issued. It was already pretty dark, so I wasn’t going to try to actually chase it, but enjoyed watching the lightning over the bay and the fast- moving low-level clouds marking the inflow. I had the whole family out watching. When it passed over the island, my son and I walked to the beach to watch the near-continuous lightning over the ocean. 

Still feel like I kind of missed out by not being home, but I guess I would never have had such an open view of the lightning if I wasn’t here to see it over the bay and ocean.

I know there were plenty of radar images posted, but I am including two favorites here, one of a strong couplet very near my home town, and one as the storm approached me in LBI. My wife actually took the lightning picture.

41A7943C-C812-4F99-B709-0474D3A2A65B.jpeg

3937367F-BAE7-49BC-B72D-57A9F0BA3FE6.jpeg

F05A3E7B-A0DC-49ED-9DF4-00F5E8F97D10.jpeg

• Like 10

Couple questions -

1. Where did the Bensalem storm initially form? I was in LBI, out with family and distracted, focusing mainly on the northern storm near home in Newtown going through Washington Crossing. There was also a gap around 6:30 until after 7 that I wasn’t looking at radar. I remember there had been just some light precip on radar around Philly, and everything was socked in with clouds, so wondering exactly where the Bensalem storm formed. Did it evolve from those light showers in Philly? Or from activity further west? Or did it somehow initiate just west of Bensalem despite the thick cloud cover? Did an outflow boundary from the northern storm have anything to do with it?

2. I found the warning language confusing. In all my years of Plains chasing, I have become fairly familiar with the various warning language. Usually the source is either radar indicated, OR confirmed visibly by a chaser, spotter, emergency management, law enforcement officer, or the public. But yesterday’s warnings featured language such “confirmed tornado” but then the source said “radar confirmed.” What is the criteria for “radar confirmed,” is it the strength of the couplet, or does there have to be a debris signature? Also surprised there never did seem to be any warning based on a confirmed sighting, unless I missed it. Another warning I thought was confusing was use of the language a tornado “is developing” for the same storm after having said “is occurring,” although that could have been just different phases of the storm. 

29 minutes ago, JimCaruso said:

Here I am, perhaps the only actual Plains storm chaser on the forum, coming to the party embarrassingly late... I am in LBI on a family vacation rental, and spent the entire evening pissed off at the irony that I was in LBI while two bonafide tornadic supercells tracked closer than ever to where I live in Newtown. I couldn’t believe the radar signatures I was seeing around here, Plains-like velocity couplets and hooks... I was completely distracted during a family dinner at a local restaurant, and gave a less-experienced Plains chaser friend in Philly bad advice due to my general cynicism about events in our area, a lack of focus on any data during the day, seeing all the cloud cover, and not paying attention to the developing Bensalem storm while focused on the northern storm and then getting distracted with other things for an hour or so. 

Then the southern storm was heading our way; it didn’t look too good when I first noticed it, but then (another) tornado warning was issued. It was already pretty dark, so I wasn’t going to try to actually chase it, but enjoyed watching the lightning over the bay and the fast- moving low-level clouds marking the inflow. I had the whole family out watching. When it passed over the island, my son and I walked to the beach to watch the near-continuous lightning over the ocean. 

Still feel like I kind of missed out by not being home, but I guess I would never have had such an open view of the lightning if I wasn’t here to see it over the bay and ocean.

I know there were plenty of radar images posted, but I am including two favorites here, one of a strong couplet very near my home town, and one as the storm approached me in LBI. My wife actually took the lightning picture.

41A7943C-C812-4F99-B709-0474D3A2A65B.jpeg

3937367F-BAE7-49BC-B72D-57A9F0BA3FE6.jpeg

F05A3E7B-A0DC-49ED-9DF4-00F5E8F97D10.jpeg

Jim, I was seeing some reports of a tornado touchdown in LBI. Roofs ripped off and boats sunk, power lines down, etc. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, JimCaruso said:

Couple questions -

1. Where did the Bensalem storm initially form? I was in LBI, out with family and distracted, focusing mainly on the northern storm near home in Newtown going through Washington Crossing. There was also a gap around 6:30 until after 7 that I wasn’t looking at radar. I remember there had been just some light precip on radar around Philly, and everything was socked in with clouds, so wondering exactly where the Bensalem storm formed. Did it evolve from those light showers in Philly? Or from activity further west? Or did it somehow initiate just west of Bensalem despite the thick cloud cover? Did an outflow boundary from the northern storm have anything to do with it?

2. I found the warning language confusing. In all my years of Plains chasing, I have become fairly familiar with the various warning language. Usually the source is either radar indicated, OR confirmed visibly by a chaser, spotter, emergency management, law enforcement officer, or the public. But yesterday’s warnings featured language such “confirmed tornado” but then the source said “radar confirmed.” What is the criteria for “radar confirmed,” is it the strength of the couplet, or does there have to be a debris signature? Also surprised there never did seem to be any warning based on a confirmed sighting, unless I missed it. Another warning I thought was confusing was use of the language a tornado “is developing” for the same storm after having said “is occurring,” although that could have been just different phases of the storm. 

Bensalem storm started to show signs of rotation near Ft Washington, cell continued to intensify as it moved east.

I thought that tornado warning was a result of a spotter reporting a tornado on the ground near the Neshaminy Mall. Mechanics in the Faulkner service center said the cell phone warning was only seconds before the tornado hit.

• Like 1

I seriously can't believe there was no fatalities seeing all these torn roof pictures flowing in. I have noticed all the Social media "Oh another tornado warning zzzz....." joke posts have disappeared.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, talonsmith said:

I seriously can't believe there was no fatalities seeing all these torn roof pictures flowing in. I have noticed all the Social media "Oh another tornado warning zzzz....." joke posts have disappeared.

My sister lives in Neshaminy Valley next to the mall & when things were getting rough with the cell phone alerts going off my niece asked her are we getting a tornado mommy & she no Syd we don't get tornados around here. At least we something to laugh about last night. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

My sister lives in Neshaminy Valley next to the mall & when things were getting rough with the cell phone alerts going off my niece asked her are we getting a tornado mommy & she no Syd we don't get tornados around here. At least we something to laugh about last night. 

95% (just my opinion, not factual) of the public is clueless/careless when it comes to weather threats. Even my wife yesterday had no clue AND I TALK TO HER CONSTANTLY ABOUT WEATHER!!! 😆 

• Like 6
13 hours ago, DelcoWx said:

No, thank God. We're up in the sort of hilly part of Paoli off of 252, so we just had a couple of intense showers and that was that. 

Thanks for asking. 😊

Thanks for the reply

I was watching this from Florida last night but we maintain an apartment in Paoli by the train station.

Also my daughter is about to close on a newly constructed house in Malvern.

Thanks again

• Like 1