7/17 One, Two Punch Heavy Rain/Thunderstorm Obs

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Frank @frankdp23 yes this is bad, training storms over us for three hours. At least two water rescues in Hunterdon County, one in Readington, the other in Franklin Twshp. I took advantage of a norm

As I mentioned early yesterday, I was going to be out most of the evening/night so didn’t have as much time as I would have liked to follow the action or watch it live, but I did get a nice taste of t

You know full well you'll be checking radar during communion

Posted Images

I mean I don’t know what people really expect from these days. Not everyone is going to get walloped. It’s a slight risk there’s going to be some warnings but days where the whole forecast area get slammed happens so infrequently. Expectations for severe around here should be tempered. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, frankdp23 said:

I'm away.  Is this bad? I see the warning 

Screenshot_20210717-173235_RadarScope.jpg

Hi Frank @frankdp23 yes this is bad, training storms over us for three hours. At least two water rescues in Hunterdon County, one in Readington, the other in Franklin Twshp. I took advantage of a normal rainfall and measured 4.55 inches of rain at about 7:50, called into Mt. Holly. 

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, rramblings said:

Hi Frank @frankdp23 yes this is bad, training storms over us for three hours. At least two water rescues in Hunterdon County, one in Readington, the other in Franklin Twshp. I took advantage of a normal rainfall and measured 4.55 inches of rain at about 7:50, called into Mt. Holly. 

A friend has a farm in Franklin Twshp, Hunterdon (Pittstown) told me she has never seen pasture flooding this bad. 

• Like 2
Just now, rramblings said:

A friend has a farm in Franklin Twshp, Hunterdon (Pittstown) told me she has never seen pasture flooding this bad. 

Ugh.  I figured my station gauge would be wrong from the radar depiction.  Maybe I'm glad I'm away.  That is crazy.  

21 minutes ago, rramblings said:

saw a Tempest report of 5.58" just outside of Stockton, even if it's 20% too high they're in your territory

currently in a lull after several rounds of storms, last one that went thru put on quite the light show

0.82" at this point

a real burner today locally - even 95 degrees for a high, peak heat index was 106 (95 / 74) just after 3:00

nothing like lush green grass in the middle of July

3 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

one two punch? or one two Yawn?

I’ll eat crow, that was impressive for metro area even though my backyard was spared 

1 hour ago, colonel_kurtz said:

saw a Tempest report of 5.58" just outside of Stockton, even if it's 20% too high they're in your territory

Yes, Stockton in my area, about 20 miles west. Would not be surprised if they measured 5+ inches of rain. 

1 hour ago, frankdp23 said:

Ugh.  I figured my station gauge would be wrong from the radar depiction.  Maybe I'm glad I'm away.  That is crazy.  

@frankdp23 this is crazy. Good that you are away. Spent  most of evening o  round two. I am safe at home, only went outside for rainfall measurement. Anyway, wanted to help WFO Mt Holly with flooding reports. Thanks to a reliable friend and reliable social media hope that I helped. It is bad here. Lots of accounts of water rescues.  Tyler

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

monsoon, very wet week for Lower Bucks

Aww gee, this on top of rains from flash flooding last week. My friends out west would kill for our rain. 

19 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I’ll eat crow, that was impressive for metro area even though my backyard was spared 

these lines that approach the immediate metro area from the SW seem to hold up much better than stuff approaching from the W & especially the NW, that stuff the vast majority of the time weakens considerably or just plain falls apart

nothing scientific just something you notice living in the area for quite some time

another question for the experts - what causes the worst of the lightning to occur after the heavy rain has passed, happening now & was the case with Monday storms in Bensalem

also noticed that before several times of the years

Yikes!  Second severe storm today in Mercerville, NJ.  The lightning never stopped from the first one (about 8ish), but the rain and thunder did.  Now it’s raining so heavy, streets are flooding and the lightning is constant.  😵