Meteorological Summer Banter Thread

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tuna fishing today out of Ocean City, Md. Foggy and cool to start, followed by sunny and comfortable. Water temps offshore in the mid-60s.

0.00‚ÄĚ this week on the east end of LI. What a difference a few hundred miles and stable ocean air makes.¬†

Henri didn't impact yesterday's fishing.  

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Qtown Snow said:

how can anyone like this crap 

Humidity is the problem. I like long, sunny days.  I can even handle 90 or so with dews in the 60s. I like warm early mornings (like 65-75 degrees between 5-8am) and warm evenings with a breeze.  

Problem is around here it seems like summers are¬†getting more ‚Äútropical‚ÄĚ. Higher¬†dewpoints, Warmer nights, (scattered) excessive rains more¬†frequently. ¬†Less breaks from¬†the humidity too. Very rare breaks from the high dews it seems like.¬†

Winter, while I love snow is too dark and cold. Mentally it takes a toll on me personally. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Parsley said:

Problem is around here it seems like summers are¬†getting more ‚Äútropical‚ÄĚ. Higher¬†dewpoints, Warmer nights,

This!

Agree, low dew's then things are better for sure.

I know you misremember things as a kid, but I don't remember the relentless, nonstop stretches of high humidity like this.  Warm days, sure, but it seems like nowadays July and August are oppressively humid 90% of the time.

• Like 2

Got some blueberries from Walmart today and the box said they were Jersey blueberries from Hammonton. Which reminded me of the late Jack. Anyone know how his wife and son are doing? His son has got to be close entering high school I think.

Stopped at the local doughnut shop yesterday, picked up 1 dozen freshly made. I love Dutch apple while the wife loves anything chocolate.  Enjoyed one with my coffee yesterday morning. So I wake up this morning finding no doughnuts!? All I find is an empty box on the floor, and my wife and 3 dogs passed out on the sofa. It's a cruel start to the morning. 

1 mugshot attached.

20201214_082503.jpg

• Like 7
2 hours ago, SalemCountyNJ said:

Stopped at the local doughnut shop yesterday, picked up 1 dozen freshly made. I love Dutch apple while the wife loves anything chocolate.  Enjoyed one with my coffee yesterday morning. So I wake up this morning finding no doughnuts!? All I find is an empty box on the floor, and my wife and 3 dogs passed out on the sofa. It's a cruel start to the morning. 

1 mugshot attached.

20201214_082503.jpg

Oh my! I’d be in tears  

On 7/16/2021 at 9:48 AM, Parsley said:

Humidity is the problem. I like long, sunny days.  I can even handle 90 or so with dews in the 60s. I like warm early mornings (like 65-75 degrees between 5-8am) and warm evenings with a breeze.  

Problem is around here it seems like summers are¬†getting more ‚Äútropical‚ÄĚ. Higher¬†dewpoints, Warmer nights, (scattered) excessive rains more¬†frequently. ¬†Less breaks from¬†the humidity too. Very rare breaks from the high dews it seems like.¬†

Winter, while I love snow is too dark and cold. Mentally it takes a toll on me personally. 

200% all of this.¬†ūüĎć

• Like 2

Picked this up for the 4th of July clambake:

179637356_ScreenShot2021-07-22at1_06_27PM.png.4223483653c940f94724c70a03b817e5.png

• Like 2

I see that Tom or another mod has locked down any more discussion from the Western Chester County Thread going forward.....too many facts that Tom or others struggled with - despite being a specific thread that no one has to view unless they care.....nothing like free speech and facts to be debated... even this post will in all likelihood be deleted soon....a clearly sad day for phillywx.com.....debate with facts is no longer encouraged....

55 minutes ago, chescowx said:

I see that Tom or another mod has locked down any more discussion from the Western Chester County Thread going forward.....too many facts that Tom or others struggled with - despite being a specific thread that no one has to view unless they care.....nothing like free speech and facts to be debated... even this post will in all likelihood be deleted soon....a clearly sad day for phillywx.com.....debate with facts is no longer encouraged....

It wasn't shut down because of facts. It was shut down because it became a sess pool of climate debate. I don't want any climate debate on here at all. It just leads to problems because everyone has different view points and it goes nowhere. I'm also sick of reading non stop nwchesco crap about heat islands and blah blah. It's getting old and I'm frankly tired of it being constantly reminded every summer how you don't get 90 degree days and the heat island has this much.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, chescowx said:

One of our posters who naturally asked to be anonymous just emailed me with an interesting view...she said she "is sure it is a mistake as my posts have always been fact based with deep real data, insightful and respectful and she hopes we are not going down a path to cancel views we don't like or are uncomfortable to discuss" 

words of wisdom - thanks so much for the support!!
Paul

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

It wasn't shut down because of facts. It was shut down because it became a sess pool of climate debate. I don't want any climate debate on here at all. It just leads to problems because everyone has different view points and it goes nowhere. I'm also sick of reading non stop nwchesco crap about heat islands and blah blah. It's getting old and I'm frankly tired of it being constantly reminded every summer how you don't get 90 degree days and the heat island has this much. If you feel the need that you can't post anything other then that, then take it somewhere else. 

Tom nothing I say is a climate debate.....climate change is real and a scientific fact....I never debate or have ever debated climate change....I always say we are in a warming cycle of climate change.....now could this turn to a cooler cycle?? I for one say it will....the thread is always fact based with real NWS COOP data....and again Tom it is not just me seeing much fewer 90+ days it is all of the NWS COOP climate sites in Chesoc.....if you don't like the thread then Tom the easy call is to stay the heck away from it.....do you think anything presented in that thread especially this week with all of the NWS COOP data from Chester County is somehow wrong or misrepresented then please chime in......this I thought was a site for fact based weather talk and in this specific thread very specific data approved by the NWS for Chester County PA.....tell me what facts from NWS reporting sites which is all I talk about you are tired of hearing about?? I am as always wide open and receptive for debate with real facts.....the fact you are tired of constantly being reminded of all the NWS COOP sites in Chester County NOT reporting the number of 90+ days is nothing I or anyone else can control....again Tom tell me what in any of my data is not real and validated NWS Data....what is wrong with this?? Now if it makes you personally uncomfortable then don't view it or comment on it....does that sound fair?? We certainly have a heck of lot of folks on this forum who clearly do like the thread....and those that don't.....are free to ignore it as are you. Does this seem fair and reasonable??? Open it up and please stay away from the thread as it seems to really upset you.

Another long term poster....just emailed me and he said he is afraid to "offend the mods here" but said "while I remain a strong believer in man made and influenced climate change - you for sure have never debated that the climate is changing....your view has consistently been that while we are in a warming cycle....I think in one of your posts earlier this year you stated that you think the warming trend will reverse in the later 20's.....I for one think you are delusional! But that said your incredibly deep fact based data analytics are just phenomenal.....and you remain a great fact based contributor to this site! I hope Tombo allows your thread to continue Thanks again ChescoWx!"

Despite calling me delusional.....thanks.....i think!!! LOL!!!!

Another great email arrived that quoted Tom

To: <chescowx@outlook.com>
Subject: ChescoWx Thread Ban

Hi Paul,

I see that Tom just posted that "HE is sick of reading non stop nwchesco crap about heat islands and blah blah. It's getting old and I'm frankly tired of it being constantly reminded every summer how you don't get 90 degree days and the heat island has this much." 

Does Tom not understand that while HE may not like reading about it or viewing the great detailed and data driven debate between you and Chubbs.....I for one love it and learn from each of you.....if anything we need more of this kind of deep fact based debate I learn from both of you....keep up the great work!!"

Thanks guys!! the support is much appreciated!!!

Paul

Wow!! I am humbled by the outpouring of support guys!! Thanks so much

Paul

ChescoWx.com

Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 9:25 PM
To: Paul Callahan <chescowx@outlook.com>
Subject: PhillyWX ban
Importance: High

Hi ChescoWx,

Sad to see your thread has been banned by…..I guess it was Tombo.

We all could tell he never liked your posts‚Ķ..but I always thought a moderator needed to rise above his personal views and let folks on a blog or forum express their views‚Ķ.especially when someone like you does so in some of the greatest detail and real world analytics plus actual NWS COOP facts of anyone on this or any weather site. No doubt my view means little and I have never even posted on this site‚Ķ..but I love your posts ‚Äď I hope they let you to continue to post the stuff you do!!!

Thanks ChescoWX!!!

Dude if these are actual emails you're getting from people who didn't want to have a public conversation, maybe email them back instead of making it a public conversation.  I am 1000% on Tom's side with this - it gets so tiring hearing you talk about the lack of 90 degrees at your specific location, and making broad statements and applying them to all of Western Chester County as if your station can represent that large of an area.  I've followed Tom and this site (and his original one) for years and not ONCE have posted because I know I don't have anything meaningful to contribute, but you've driven me to make this post.  This will be my first and last post, so if you're planning to respond to this, with your multiple question marks, exclamation points, or LOLs that don't make your posts any more pleasant to read, you won't hear back from me. 

And Tom I'm sorry for this, and you can delete it as soon as you want.  

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, rsigns said:

Dude if these are actual emails you're getting from people who didn't want to have a public conversation, maybe email them back instead of making it a public conversation.  I am 1000% on Tom's side with this - it gets so tiring hearing you talk about the lack of 90 degrees at your specific location, and making broad statements and applying them to all of Western Chester County as if your station can represent that large of an area.  I've followed Tom and this site (and his original one) for years and not ONCE have posted because I know I don't have anything meaningful to contribute, but you've driven me to make this post.  This will be my first and last post, so if you're planning to respond to this, with your multiple question marks, exclamation points, or LOLs that don't make your posts any more pleasant to read, you won't hear back from me. 

And Tom I'm sorry for this, and you can delete it as soon as you want.  

Hi rsigns!

Thanks for the post....of course I see absolutely no reason to delete this and hopefully Tom agrees....as I truly appreciate the thoughts. I of course emailed each of them back....again we should all be allowed our opinions.....especially if we have facts supporting these opinions.....especially in a weather based forum like this one when the facts are actual NWS COOP site validated data. I can only present the facts....if you have noted this week I have presented every available NWS COOP site and done the analysis.....it is not my opinion....it is the facts as detailed from the actual NWS COOP reports....there is nothing here that I can change or tweak....my "broad statements" you mention are of course supported by the real actual fact based observations from every available NWS COOP site in the County that I am analyzing.....not sure what else I can do. But I respect your views and appreciate your feedback....it is what makes these type of forums and outlets so great!!

Thanks again!
Paul

Paul,

It agreed upon that the nw chesco debate was going in circles lately, and for a while. We didn’t want it to spiral out of control, and  It was deemed best to just shut it down for the time being.( it’s not being deleted). Feel free to engage in personal messages with whoever you would like to debate with on the topic. The site has allowed you plenty of time to make your points and counter/debate with other posters. It has been going on for years. I hope you can appreciate that. Please continue to add to existing and newer threads & topics. We always encourage people to participate. 

Another long time lurker - like a guy earlier who never posted....this decision to silence ChescoWX from his long time thread has actually moved me to actually sign up tonight to weigh in on this....I am happy to be here by the way!!

As many others have said ChescoWx is one of the most dedicated and fact based detailed analytics based weather contributors I have ever seen on this site....I hope the powers that be will not silence his most excellent analysis....what exactly are the moderators afraid of?? Debate??? Differing opinions???...he only offers facts.....with very few opinions.....with the exception of his belief the current warming will reverse....I think not!!!.....but what do any of us really know. Let's make sure no one is silenced and ChescoWx continues to post his most excellent analysis!!! Keep on keepin on Chesco guy!!!

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, irishbri74 said:

Paul,

It agreed upon that the nw chesco debate was going in circles lately, and for a while. We didn’t want it to spiral out of control, and  It was deemed best to just shut it down for the time being.( it’s not being deleted). Feel free to engage in personal messages with whoever you would like to debate with on the topic. The site has allowed you plenty of time to make your points and counter/debate with other posters. It has been going on for years. I hope you can appreciate that. Please continue to add to existing and newer threads & topics. We always encourage people to participate. 

This sounds not good....so even though Chesco guy had the discussion contained in it's own self titled thread that folks like me were allowed to browse and learn from - you are saying it needs to be silenced??? Sheesh whatever happened to free speech and sharing of ideas and facts like this thread always has done? While both chesco guy and chubbs have gone back and forth they always in my view did it very respectfully and both provided some great data and content to support their views....why stop it?? So is Chesco banned from ever posting about this topic? If he ever mentions how few 90 degree days the philadelphia suburbia area has versus the PHL Airport is that going to be deleted  - what does chubbs think of this??? I thought he really enjoyed the interchange with chesco....