Temps/Pcpn/Obs/Yawnable Weather Discussion

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sunset 

0.04" last night   Cool week in Adirondacks. 42F the lowest.

I’m down in Virginia visiting Shenandoah National Park. Smoke restricted views somewhat on an otherwise sunny and comfortable day. 

Posted Images

5 hours ago, eastonwx said:

Perhaps a silly question, but is humidity higher in rural areas than an airport or urban setting due to more vegetation? 

Could be. This is often the case (vegetation producing higher humidity via evapotranspiration) in a place like Iowa where their are tons farms/cornfields. Dewpoints in the low 80’s can occur. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Parsley said:

Could be. This is often the case (vegetation producing higher humidity via evapotranspiration) in a place like Iowa where their are tons farms/cornfields. Dewpoints in the low 80’s can occur. 

Thanks. I thought the same. I noticed my location (about 17 miles from KABE) had significantly higher dews than the airport, but my area is much more rural complete with a creek across the street. My Davis Vue does run higher dews, so there's that too.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, eastonwx said:

Thanks. I thought the same. I noticed my location (about 17 miles from KABE) had significantly higher dews than the airport, but my area is much more rural complete with a creek across the street. My Davis Vue does run higher dews, so there's that too.

Yeah. Here’s a quick read. 

I think it’s a reason places in Delaware and eastern MD see dews around 80 while our area for the most part in the mid-70s on a sultry day. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mprnews.org/amp/story/2020/07/15/corn-sweat-may-help-boost-dew-points-to-80-degrees-saturday

AD36F4FE-D5F5-48B4-AD84-919681CBDB7C.jpeg

• Like 1

Have very light drizzle the last hour. 73F. Feels like a September day.

22 hours ago, Parsley said:

ET, evapotranspiration when stomates open up in the plant and loose water into atmosphere 

• Like 1

Touch of fall yesterday in Colebrook - occ. light rain all day with a high of 62.    Even saw a stressed maple tree starting to change color.

• Like 2

Another non-summer day as the upper low spins itself out over northern VT.    Rain and 63 all day.    Turkeys seem to love it.

• Like 1

Through 1st 18 days of July this is the 11th warmest (75.1 avg. temp) start to July in Western Chesco with the top 5 being 78.3 (1988) / 76.7 (2012) / 76.6 (2013) / 76.5 (1994) / 76.1 (2006)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Rainshadow101 said:

Another new summer norm, smoke from western wildfires.

hrrr.JPG.637eee5dc64271c6e03742576a4e606e.JPG

I thought it seemed hazy last night. And the sun is very filtered this morning. 

9 hours ago, Rainshadow101 said:

Another new summer norm, smoke from western wildfires.

hrrr.JPG.637eee5dc64271c6e03742576a4e606e.JPG

Smoke is pretty intense here in northern NH.   Visibility under 4 miles since the summit of Mt. Bunnell @ 3730' is 4 miles from me and is barely visible.   Sky has only a few cumulus clouds, but is only faintly blue.    BTW, tracking an intense squall line just crossing the CA-US border.    Watches up to the VT/NH line for large hail and high winds.   At least no dead ash trees can fall on the house here.

• Like 1

Smoke trims a couple degrees off the high temperature I seem to recall.

• Like 1