Jump to content

Temps/Pcpn/Obs/Yawnable Weather Discussion


Recommended Posts

On 7/14/2021 at 12:13 PM, walkersc said:

I've had this model for about 9 years and it's still very accurate.  Loved it!  Key is to A. mount it as far from structures/trees as possible for most accurate readings, and B. Maintain each year with cleaning.  I had my unit on a stiff pvc pole 6 feet above the roofline of my 3-story house, about 25' from display.  Only downside is it's very hard to connect to computer - you can buy their cable dongle and their software which are pretty expensive.  I upgraded last summer to an Ambient 2902-B and I send my data to like 3 online services LOL - so much easier and no additional costs!

Vantage Vue is excellent for the $ -  of course it runs a bit warmer than the fan aspirated VP 2 but for most the extra $ for the VP2 may not make it worth it for the increased accuracy....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sunset 

0.04" last night   Cool week in Adirondacks. 42F the lowest.

I’m down in Virginia visiting Shenandoah National Park. Smoke restricted views somewhat on an otherwise sunny and comfortable day. 

Posted Images

4th official heat wave today at PHL - of course no heat waves yet this year in the Western burbs here and at KMQS and KPTW. We did record our 3rd 90+ day of the summer down in Sea Isle City today before the sea breeze kicked in...only made it to 88.0 so far on VP2 and 88.9 on Tempest in East Nantmeal - where we are still stuck on only 3 days over 90 and only 1 clean 90 this summer

SicHi.20210716_152546167.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Parsley said:

How much rain have you had in July? Guessing less than me  

89.8 today. Squeezed out a “90” after several 89’s this week. 

July from Tempest (probably within 10%) - 2.36". 

92.5 today - 5 in a row. Looks like tomorrow is the last one for a while.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chescowx said:

4th official heat wave today at PHL - of course no heat waves yet this year in the Western burbs here and at KMQS and KPTW. We did record our 3rd 90+ day of the summer down in Sea Isle City today before the sea breeze kicked in...only made it to 88.0 so far on VP2 and 88.9 on Tempest in East Nantmeal - where we are still stuck on only 3 days over 90 and only 1 clean 90 this summer

SicHi.20210716_152546167.jpg

Love how you cherry pick kptw to fit your narrative considering kptw has a blatant cool bias on its sensor 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Love how you cherry pick kptw to fit your narrative considering kptw has a blatant cool bias on its sensor 

how does a sensor have a cool bias?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, White_Mtn_Wx said:

how does a sensor have a cool bias?

Very easy, just like a sensor cam run hot. Could be a faulty sensor, or last sensor check they over tweaked something. I know myself and @Parsley have both noticed PTW runs much cooler than stations around it. I know there is a site that checks these things which I don't know of off the top of my head, but if I'm wrong I'll eat crow 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Very easy, just like a sensor cam run hot. Could be a faulty sensor, or last sensor check they over tweaked something. I know myself and @Parsley have both noticed PTW runs much cooler than stations around it. I know there is a site that checks these things which I don't know of off the top of my head, but if I'm wrong I'll eat crow 

Yes, every station has issues occasionally and the ASOS have more than their share. Recently Doylestown has run warm and Pottstown cool. SE Pa uses all the non-asos local stations and is the best local reference.

 

ASOS.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

One lone cell and got a quick shower out if last night.

 

VP2 - 0.12"

Stratus - 0.14"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Very easy, just like a sensor cam run hot. Could be a faulty sensor, or last sensor check they over tweaked something. I know myself and @Parsley have both noticed PTW runs much cooler than stations around it. I know there is a site that checks these things which I don't know of off the top of my head, but if I'm wrong I'll eat crow 

Yes, for 288' PTW seems too low temp. wise in our area. While my personal weather stations may be less accurate (cheaper) they consisently run 1-2 degrees warmer on most days vs. PTW. and I'm at a bit higher elevation. Same goes for the nearby APRSWXNET at about the same elevation as PTW. 

Case in point, yesterday..

I hit 91 at 375' elevation. PTW hit 90 at 288' elevation. APRSWXNET FW2483 (New Hanover) hit 92 at 308' elevation. This happens quite often.

The day before that I hit 90. PTW was 88. APRSWXNET FW2483 hit 90.

I routinely compare my recordings to PTW and the local APRSWXNET/CWOP site.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chubbs said:

Yes, every station has issues occasionally and the ASOS have more than their share. Recently Doylestown has run warm and Pottstown cool. SE Pa uses all the non-asos local stations and is the best local reference.

 

ASOS.png

Good stuff. And I think PTW anemometer needs a little WD40 😄, because that spot struggles to get high gusts in just about ANY thunderstorm event. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Very easy, just like a sensor cam run hot. Could be a faulty sensor, or last sensor check they over tweaked something. I know myself and @Parsley have both noticed PTW runs much cooler than stations around it. I know there is a site that checks these things which I don't know of off the top of my head, but if I'm wrong I'll eat crow 

The crow gets to live another day.  This is the past two weeks. I could post the past year, same bias.

ptw.JPG.654dc62a7451f197b96a6f7ba2ade507.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rainshadow101 said:

The crow gets to live another day.  This is the past two weeks. I could post the past year, same bias.

ptw.JPG.654dc62a7451f197b96a6f7ba2ade507.JPG

Yup, proves my point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Love how you cherry pick kptw to fit your narrative considering kptw has a blatant cool bias on its sensor 

Just the facts as always Tom...I am simply picking the 2 sites closest to me reported by the NWS on an hourly basis on their current obs site - they don't report the correctly adjusted upward temp anywhere I can at least find....

Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news for those that hate the heat is that tomorrow on average is the warmest day of the year - at least in Western Chesco.....we then begin the slide to the coldest average day - which is January 21st - stay cool my friends!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning, I stopped up to visit some family that live two houses up from where I grew up outside of Altoona. The house I grew up in had an elevation of about 2000 feet.  Would love to have that elevation nowadays. Felt so much better outside. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps a silly question, but is humidity higher in rural areas than an airport or urban setting due to more vegetation? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...