Temps/Pcpn/Obs/Yawnable Weather Discussion

15 hours ago, november2003 said:

I've had this model for about 9 years and it's still very accurate.  Loved it!  Key is to A. mount it as far from structures/trees as possible for most accurate readings, and B. Maintain each year with cleaning.  I had my unit on a stiff pvc pole 6 feet above the roofline of my 3-story house, about 25' from display.  Only downside is it's very hard to connect to computer - you can buy their cable dongle and their software which are pretty expensive.  I upgraded last summer to an Ambient 2902-B and I send my data to like 3 online services LOL - so much easier and no additional costs!

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sunset 

0.04" last night   Cool week in Adirondacks. 42F the lowest.

I’m down in Virginia visiting Shenandoah National Park. Smoke restricted views somewhat on an otherwise sunny and comfortable day. 

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, walkersc said:

I've had this model for about 9 years and it's still very accurate.  Loved it!  Key is to A. mount it as far from structures/trees as possible for most accurate readings, and B. Maintain each year with cleaning.  I had my unit on a stiff pvc pole 6 feet above the roofline of my 3-story house, about 25' from display.  Only downside is it's very hard to connect to computer - you can buy their cable dongle and their software which are pretty expensive.  I upgraded last summer to an Ambient 2902-B and I send my data to like 3 online services LOL - so much easier and no additional costs!

Thanks, While I want the accuracy, the price point I'm a little hesitant on.  I don't believe for me mounting on my apartment roof would be a option, so an open space in my backyard ok?

32 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Not to familiar with the Vue. I have the vantage pro 2. Love it, have had it for over 10 years now without any issue 

Thanks Tom, how much money would you say you put into it over the years you had it?  Also please move this if needed to the proper thread as I don't want to muddy up the thread.  Thank you!

Downpour few minutes ago. Drops were large, had to double check if it was hail or not. Now trying to clear. Looks like another downpour incoming.

18 hours ago, november2003 said:

Not Tombo, but that's the station I use.  It's been in service for 6+ years I believe, still going strong!  Recommend for sure.  Davis is the gold standard in hobbyist stations, and the Vantage Vue won't break the bank.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

Not Tombo, but that's the station I use.  It's been in service for 6+ years I believe, still going strong!  Recommend for sure.  Davis is the gold standard in hobbyist stations, and the Vantage Vue won't break the bank.

Assuming you can use this to report to NOAA?  Are there specific mounting locations you have to use to report your stats to NOAA?  Thanks!

42 minutes ago, november2003 said:

Assuming you can use this to report to NOAA?  Are there specific mounting locations you have to use to report your stats to NOAA?  Thanks!

This is a general guide where to install:

https://www.wunderground.com/pws/installation-guide

local high temps the past 6 days:

86 / 82 / 86 / 89 / 81 / 89

local 90 degree days this year:

May - 0

June - 8

July - 3

Max Temp: 96 degrees - 6/30

1 hour ago, colonel_kurtz said:

May - 0

June - 8

July - 3

I mean 80s are good. Not so much with dew points well into the 70s and daily rains. 

I’d rather 90-95 with dews under 70. 

Oh well, just about past the worst of summer. Mid August through September are usually great. Looking forward to it. 

16 hours ago, november2003 said:

Thanks for the info!!  Here are 2 options for locations as I rent, 

53A1DFCB-3F11-4F62-83D2-E5A121E8C6D4.jpeg

8963552D-0853-444E-A19C-7595964B2D7C.jpeg

I actually use a satellite dish mount attached to a fence.  It doesn't qualify as "official," but I'm also a trained spotter so I use data from my station in my reports to NWS (no wind since my height is only about 11-12' and I'm not unobstructed), but temp, rainfall, barometric pressure are all good.

Ideally you'd be on a roof with no obstructions around.  That's not always practical, so do your best and enjoy the hobby!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, colonel_kurtz said:

May - 0

June - 8

July - 3

For me, the last six days--92.7/89.6/94.9/90.4/87.5/89.5

Total 90 degree days (90.0, NOT 89.5):

May: 3

June: 11

July: 6

Max temp: 97.6F 6/30/21

The battle was on along the South Jersey barrier islands today as the sea breeze was mainly from the south which keeps the marine influence within a few blocks of the beaches - the high here in Sea Isle City was in the AM which is almost always the case on the barrier islands at 85.0 at 1030am....most of the day we stayed between 79 and 81 with a steady SSE wind...inland in East Nantmeal we topped out at 85.4 with the high humidity

Backyard.20210715_191757649.jpg

SicHi.20210715_191805612.jpg

17 minutes ago, Chubbs said:

91.2 high, 4'th 90+ in a row

How much rain have you had in July? Guessing less than me  

89.8 today. Squeezed out a “90” after several 89’s this week. 

11 hours ago, chescowx said:

The battle was on along the South Jersey barrier islands today as the sea breeze was mainly from the south which keeps the marine influence within a few blocks of the beaches - the high here in Sea Isle City was in the AM which is almost always the case on the barrier islands at 85.0 at 1030am....most of the day we stayed between 79 and 81 with a steady SSE wind...inland in East Nantmeal we topped out at 85.4 with the high humidity

I think this has been one of the best summers, so far, for cooling sea breezes in recent memory (I am down in Wildwood Crest). Really nice.

• Like 1
On 7/14/2021 at 10:07 PM, colonel_kurtz said:

May - 0

June - 8

July - 3

6 and 2 for june and july for my house 

So far, I've hit 90 on Tuesday and Thursday this week.  90.1 on Tuesday and 90.0 on Thursday.  

Goes to show how silly and arbitrary the "heat wave" designation is.  The last x amount of days have been a lengthy heat wave, IMO.

93/72 currently at home.

Since 7/5: 89.5/93.7/95.7/90.3/89.5/87.5/90.4/94.9/89.6/92.7/92.7/93.2 (so far today), so 11 rounded 90's in 12 days, with the other day 87.5.  Yikes.