OBS Wagons Close (north/west better) Obs thread

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

Thats what I'm talking about. You have to embrace the glaciers and you go out of your way to pile it up higher on the mound that gets the least amount of sun. This ensures it lasts well into March 

Nothing better then end of driveway piles. Gotta clear out that street in front of it. Makes piles nice and tall lol

• Like 1
  • Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It has been decided for me that I am done snow blowing for today.   I knocked out a bunch of driveways, parked it to shovel off my deck and when I came back she was bedded down under the hemlock tree

4 inches after yesterday snowfall.

Yeti?! Or just @MikeD in Havertown?! Haha. Buddy posted this on his Facebook:  

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Boch23 said:

Nothing better then end of driveway piles. Gotta clear out that street in front of it. Makes piles nice and tall lol

I always save some fresh driveway snow to cover up the stuff from the street clear out, the street snow gets pretty ratty looking especially after they salt. 

That's what's been great about this snow on top of snow on top.......keeps covering up all the plowed stuff that ends up very dirty looking.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, snowlurker said:

The snow pack comparison north and south is night and day. IMBY, grass pokes out everywhere and the snow is patchy.

Just not my year south of the M/D line.

Not DE's year, ILG only at at 12.8" before today, about 10" behind phl. Wasn't much snow cover in Christiana DE this morning, an inch or two with grass showing.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Parsley said:

Piles for Miles! 

Sun angle cleans that asphalt up real nice. 

E7A4661E-4C0F-4850-95E5-C66420D1E44C.jpeg

Over the years, I continue to laugh about how alike so many of us are, not just with our curious love for snow but also in regards to:

• the huger the snowpiles the better

• “anal” perfection with our shoveling/snow pile making (Parsley even had some “hospital corners” on his snowpiles)

• “Don’t EVEN think about walking across my pristine snow-covered lawn!”

• creative snow-light setups and snow-depth measuring devices

• what have I missed⁉️ 

Thanks all for making me feel just a bit more normal and a little less neurotic‼️

• Like 10

With a dog and daughter running around, my hopes of a pristine lawn are gone.

That said, the blacktop thing is funny. There's something oddly satisfying about the driveway being cleared. 

Already up to 34 and breezy. 

• Like 7
8 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

Over the years, I continue to laugh about how alike so many of us are, not just with our curious love for snow but also in regards to:

• “anal” perfection with our shoveling/snow pile making (Parsley even had some “hospital corners” on his snowpiles)

• what have I missed⁉️ 

Thanks all for making me feel just a bit more normal and a little less neurotic‼️

2 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

With a dog and daughter running around, my hopes of a pristine lawn are gone.

That said, the blacktop thing is funny. There's something oddly satisfying about the driveway being cleared. 

Already up to 34 and breezy. 

Yup, the pristine snow cover....or lack thereof with kids is gone for me. It hurts....LOL. But I try to snap a few pics of big events when it's still "clean". I do like a nice clean shovel, especially this time of year when sun angle helps out. In December or January, I don't mind a light coating left on pavement, unless it's a sheet of ice.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

• what have I missed⁉️ 

I moved to this home 4.5 years ago.  It faces south and I'm on a slight hill.  It is horrible for "maintaining" snow.  I should have realized that since the solar panels were on the front side of my roof.  I said to my wife the other day I think we have worst house on the block for snow to survive.  She's happy about it, but I said if I realized it, I might not have moved to this home.  😄

• Like 7
1 minute ago, frankdp23 said:

I moved to this home 4.5 years ago.  It faces south and I'm on a slight hill.  It is horrible for "maintaining" snow.  I should have realized that since the solar panels were on the front side of my roof.  I said to my wife the other day I think we have worst house on the block for snow to survive.  She's happy about it, but I said if I realized it, I might not have moved to this home.  😄

Just imagine what your wife is REALLY thinking to herself after this statement. 🤣

• Like 5
15 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

• what have I missed⁉️ 

This is so true. We are all a little "touched".

Over the years it's become so much more about the "pack" than any one event. Keeping the pack is critical to a nice winter. We've had this pack since January 31st and I'm wondering if it can hold on till the end of the month. I don't see a lot of rain and high DPs so maybe we can limp to Sunday morning even with a mini-torch the next few days. I think it's one of the reasons March stinks. It hurts to see the last piles disappear. Frosty The Snowman always depressed me as a kid.

Yes, I have issues.

When I walk around the neighborhood with the dog, I try to find good piles that are positioned in a shady spot. I'll pay attention to a few over the next several weeks to see which one lasts the longest.

When I see a pile that has no earthly reason for being in such a sun protected location, I'll smile and know that the pile builder has at least some weenie DNA.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, PRINCETON ANGLER said:

This is so true. We are all a little "touched".

Over the years it's become so much more about the "pack" than any one event. Keeping the pack is critical to a nice winter. We've had this pack since January 31st and I'm wondering if it can hold on till the end of the month. I don't see a lot of rain and high DPs so maybe we can limp to Sunday morning even with a mini-torch the next few days. I think it's one of the reasons March stinks. It hurts to see the last piles disappear. Frosty The Snowman always depressed me as a kid.

Yes, I have issues.

When I walk around the neighborhood with the dog, I try to find good piles that are positioned in a shady spot. I'll pay attention to a few over the next several weeks to see which one lasts the longest.

When I see a pile that has no earthly reason for being in such a sun protected location, I'll smile and know that the pile builder has at least some weenie DNA.

I am so glad to not be alone on all of this.  I relate to every last thing said by @snowwors2 and @PRINCETON ANGLER.  The pack is stunning.  The deer are falling over themselves walking through it.  I think back to those snowy winters 2010 and I think 2014 and I can't really remember it specifically.   I remember the big storms like 2016, but some of those winters stunk otherwise.  Granted, I got high end of range on pretty much every storm this year, and made sure to pick 2 shady spots to pile it up to 6'.  I journaled about some of the storms and actively blogged on my Bread & Milk facebook page.  I did 4 snowfall contests giving gifts away to support local businesses and raise over $300 for a local charity.  That blog and this page allows me to express my authentic self, and helps me be myself in other areas of life too.  It prompted so many people to reach out to me personally and express their appreciation for my passion.  I'm just one big snow weenie reliving the emotions of childhood in a sea of snow weenies.  We all display our weeniedom in our own, unique ways, even the lurkers, who I was for 18 years.  But we share one thing in common at the core.  We love this stuff.✌

• Like 7

In this {expletive deleted} of a year, this winter has been a *joy* through and through.  Enough shoveling to feel like I'm alive.  And enough new snow to get to really know where every mouse and bunny and fox has been in the woods!  I usually hate February (there's a Dar Williams line that "February was so long that it lasted into March" which... accurate), but I'm going to be sorry to see this one go.

(which... isn't to say I'd turn down another storm or two, dear weather gods...  Just to see what the foxes are doing.)

• Like 5

Well...

My deepest thanks to those of you who weighed in after my “snow obsession” post from last evening!

It goes to reaffirm my feelings about this curious hobby of ours and, moreover, gave me some great fodder to read to my wife (and grown children) as confirmation that I’m not a lone oddball‼️

Only wish my grandfather and mom were around to get a chuckle out of it as they were the ones who rubbed off on me....

I think I may have passed it on to my three kids, just a bit, but they’ll never admit it‼️😉 

• Like 4

So funny and relatable y'all. As a child I loved the fact that our front yard was shaded by a bunch of loblolly pines, which, if you're familiar with the southeast, you know are darn shady, and I'd badger my younger siblings to leave a clean patch of snow for me that I'd baby for days (we never had proper "snowpack" down there of course). 

Now with a rowhouse in the city it's a different kind of fun: how crisply can I shape my sidewalk path? Is the mound between the sidewalk and the cars nice and high and narrow? 🙃😆

LOL this year has been no 2010 or 2014, but even in the city we've had snow on the ground every day this month except for one. It's been nice.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, susqushawn said:

I am so glad to not be alone on all of this.  I relate to every last thing said by @snowwors2 and @PRINCETON ANGLER.  The pack is stunning.  The deer are falling over themselves walking through it.  I think back to those snowy winters 2010 and I think 2014 and I can't really remember it specifically.   I remember the big storms like 2016, but some of those winters stunk otherwise.  Granted, I got high end of range on pretty much every storm this year, and made sure to pick 2 shady spots to pile it up to 6'.  I journaled about some of the storms and actively blogged on my Bread & Milk facebook page.  I did 4 snowfall contests giving gifts away to support local businesses and raise over $300 for a local charity.  That blog and this page allows me to express my authentic self, and helps me be myself in other areas of life too.  It prompted so many people to reach out to me personally and express their appreciation for my passion.  I'm just one big snow weenie reliving the emotions of childhood in a sea of snow weenies.  We all display our weeniedom in our own, unique ways, even the lurkers, who I was for 18 years.  But we share one thing in common at the core.  We love this stuff.✌

And following! 

9 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

Well...

My deepest thanks to those of you who weighed in after my “snow obsession” post from last evening!

It goes to reaffirm my feelings about this curious hobby of ours and, moreover, gave me some great fodder to read to my wife (and grown children) as confirmation that I’m not a lone oddball‼️

Only wish my grandfather and mom were around to get a chuckle out of it as they were the ones who rubbed off on me....

I think I may have passed it on to my three kids, just a bit, but they’ll never admit it‼️😉 

If your pack is suffering from overuse or melting; or you just want to preserve what you have; I highly recommend a sleet treatment. :smileys-snowman-053129:😎

IMG_4675.JPG

IMG_4674.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

• Like 7