Wagons Close (North Better) Snow On 2/22.

There is a scaling difference here, because all of the models enhance the pcpn intensity on this side of the Appalachians.  That being said:

12z PIT observed w/e 0.03"

Predicted:

00z Euro .09"

00z GGEM .14"

00z UKMET .07"

06z RGEM  .18"

06z NAM .13"

06z 3km NAM .11"

06z GFS .15"

06z GFSv16 .10"

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the record low seasonal at Worcester is 21" in 1955, look for that record to be challenged next season on the bright side it's only 5 hrs. to Montreal so now a chase to Canada is in the cards, ma

Did you take that job to get in the better snow?

Ill be working in Conshohocken so ill be a bit NW of city. Should be a fun few hours. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

There is a scaling difference here, because all of the models enhance the pcpn intensity on this side of the Appalachians.  That being said:

12z PIT observed w/e 0.03"

Predicted:

00z Euro .09"

00z GGEM .14"

00z UKMET .07"

06z RGEM  .18"

06z NAM .13"

06z 3km NAM .11"

06z GFS .15"

06z GFSv16 .10"

Lol rgem wettest one of them all 

3 minutes ago, susqushawn said:

radar says this will be impactful even if precip is 0.1-0.2" too high, should be fun

Not saying it won't point I'm making Is it's to wet IMO and has been for this event

Just now, tombo82685 said:

Not saying it won't point I'm making Is it's to wet IMO and has been for this event

the 6z run is getting a bit closer to  reality on rgem with .52, all the runs prior though to wet

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

it got the snow right in bwi/dc vs nam that's for sure, we'll see how it shakes out

3 minutes ago, susqushawn said:

it got the snow right in bwi/dc vs nam that's for sure, we'll see how it shakes out

it's thermals are really good, it nailed the last system with mix, but it's qpf can run very wet. the 18z run yesterday had like an inch of qpf in philly, I don't think so 

Just now, tombo82685 said:

it's thermals are really good, it nailed the last system with mix, but it's qpf can run very wet. the 18z run yesterday had like an inch of qpf in philly, I don't think so 

oh wow i didn't see that

26 minutes ago, susqushawn said:

Its sounding is off.  This is not about the evolution which looks even better with an earlier arrival, its about the over the top qpf.  Once a convecting model convects, unless it nails it right, the release of latent heat will just exacerbate the errors.

iad.JPG

rgem.jpg

20 minutes ago, NJHurricane said:

Multiple snow squall warnings being issued in Pennsylvania

Seems like the WWA are highlighted on the NWS graphics over the snow squall warnings....if I’m correct in that, that’s poor communication, the squall warnings are more important 

19 minutes ago, NJHurricane said:

Seems like the WWA are highlighted on the NWS graphics over the snow squall warnings....if I’m correct in that, that’s poor communication, the squall warnings are more important 

That is something that is going to have to be addressed after this season is over in terms of appearance rankings.  This is not a switch on the fly move any local NWS office can do. It is not typical to issue a snow squall warning while you have a winter weather advisory already in effect. SPS(s) get map coverage over advisories/warnings, so it can be changed.  I remember for a while air quality alerts had a higher map display ranking over nowcasts. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

That is something that is going to have to be addressed after this season is over in terms of appearance rankings.  This is not a switch on the fly move any local NWS office can do. It is not typical to issue a snow squall warning while you have a winter weather advisory already in effect. SPS(s) get map coverage over advisories/warnings, so it can be changed.  I remember for a while air quality alerts had a higher map display ranking over nowcasts. 

Yeah I thought that was pretty rare (squalls inside an advisory). On the plus side most broadcast sources that I also follow on social media are all over the warnings and likely will be in their late morning/lunchtime broadcasts.

6 hours ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Interesting event for this nextgen mesoscale model.  (version 3, not 2 on SPC site)

d.JPG.695209abf28158352943506312a205ae.JPG

If this map was pivoted by about 20-30 degrees clockwise and maybe add around an inch in the PHL NW burbs, it was not bad.

17 minutes ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

If this map was pivoted by about 20-30 degrees clockwise and maybe add around an inch in the PHL NW burbs, it was not bad.

Did well up here with the 4" or so in extreme NW Mont. Co.

37 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Did well up here with the 4" or so in extreme NW Mont. Co.

It did pretty well with the qpf also.  PHL & PNE are going to be right around 0.50".  I also see TTN at 0.35" (that may be low), PTW & ABE at 0.40", ILG at 0.41", Blue Bell & BWI at 0.44".  ACY at 0.64" but still heavy rain ongoing.

qpf.JPG.b021beec6667c7f45c7e0f8dc1268630.JPG

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Doesn't look bad here, map is  0.5 to 1" too high, but that's at 10:1 and we were lower

20 minutes ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

It did pretty well with the qpf also.  PHL & PNE are going to be right around 0.50".  I also see TTN at 0.35" (that may be low), PTW & ABE at 0.40", ILG at 0.41", Blue Bell & BWI at 0.44".  ACY at 0.64" but still heavy rain ongoing.

Euro did well on QPF the runs leading up to the event here too. Believe it was in the 0.40"-0.50" range 3 runs in a row leading up to this. Again, for us up north who were cold enough for all snow this was about as sure bet as you could get for 2-5 inches. Telegraphed for days. Easy to forecast AND shovel. 

1 hour ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

So you're saying the .75-1" of qpf off the rgem isn't going to verify? Shocked

46 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Euro did well on QPF the runs leading up to the event here too. Believe it was in the 0.40"-0.50" range 3 runs in a row leading up to this. Again, for us up north who were cold enough for all snow this was about as sure bet as you could get for 2-5 inches. Telegraphed for days. Easy to forecast AND shovel. 

I no longer look at NAM qpf so don’t know where it was. Other than the Canadian families this was one of the better qpf performances by all of them. Usually I can eyeball a winner, but they are close. GGEM is going to come in last by a comfortable margin. It had an 8” event one run at PHL, it’s water equivalent for that run was over 1”.