OBS: February 18th, 19th Wintry Precipitation Event, Paging Chumbawamba, Paging Chumbawamba

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thunderstorms will never ever ever ever ever ever come close to the scenery of a snow covered landscape with a sun set 

Just got an email from Shutterfly with the “memories from this day last year”. Couldn’t be any more different. Grass was starting to green up, my gardens were all cleaned up and getting ready for mulc

This guy showed up just after I posted  

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Thunderstorms will never ever ever ever ever ever come close to the scenery of a snow covered landscape with a sun set 

E71C8BA2-DBAD-4D1E-9D99-9B8BE66FDD0C.jpeg

Hey, I know that road!

• Like 3

I’ll agree with others - this evening was possibly the nicest of the entire winter. The sky had that look like when the setting sun pokes out during an evening thunderstorm, only way better, with the last of the snow falling and the ice in the trees.

Anyhow - we added .2 of snow this afternoon for a storm total of 2.2” (still mainly sleet).  We had some ice accretion too, but I have no clue how much exactly.  

19 hours ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

I have to pay attention to these sw flow aloft events going forward if there is an orographic favoring of these bands along/northwest of the fall line.  This and the Super Bowl they almost fell one on top of the other. Or is it just the luck of the band. I really don't know.

Hello.. newbie here..  I believe you hit on something here. Going off of the top of my head in recent memory, here are several more instances where intense banding has set up in the general area that you mentioned. 

Day after the Superbowl 2014.            Coastal storm in January of 2014 when banding in the midday hours crushed this area.                          Feb. 5, 2010 - banding crushed that area most of the morning.                    Boxing day storm 2010- impressive band near the end of the storm.          Surprise snowstorm January 2000- that area crushed.                                Hurricane Floyd 1999.                          Tropical storm Allison...... that area hit the hardest from these storms.             Of course, these are all different set ups but I have noticed what you mentioned time and time again

The winter storms in 1994 where the city to the south and east deal with mixed precip. while Oak lane, Mt airy and the burbs get buried. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Captain Lou said:

The winter storms in 1994 where the city to the south and east deal with mixed precip. while Oak lane, Mt airy and the burbs get buried. 

PHL recorded 23" that season while just 10 miles north in Roxborough they had 40". One more of these storms & you're going to have the same seasonal spread this year.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

PHL recorded 23" that season while just 10 miles north in Roxborough they had 40". One more of these storms & you're going to have the same seasonal spread this year.

If this graphic is correct, some large snow pack water content gradients in our area, particularly near the city. Also some high values in Pa/NJ river headwaters. Don't want to lose that quickly.

nsm_swe_2021022005_Eastern_Coastal.jpg

• Like 2

Finally tally of snow/sleet for Feb 18th to 19th snow/sleet/freezing rain storm: 4.1 inches of snow/sleet with 1/10th of an inch of ice.

After about 12:5 pm on the 18th it was sleet mixed with freezing rain for the rest of that day. We had a break from the precipitation the night of the 18th/19th until around 3AM when more freezing rain set in. Finally, by late morning on the 19th it changed back to snow. Fortunately, I did not get my driveway plowed until just after lunch on the 19th, so there was snow under the ice on my driveway.

This section of NJ is interesting because just a few miles away precipitation types will be different. What say you, @frankdp23 about this phenomena? I am at about 200 feet AGL.

16 minutes ago, rramblings said:

Finally tally of snow/sleet for Feb 18th to 19th snow/sleet/freezing rain storm: 4.1 inches of snow/sleet with 1/10th of an inch of ice.

After about 12:5 pm on the 18th it was sleet mixed with freezing rain for the rest of that day. We had a break from the precipitation the night of the 18th/19th until around 3AM when more freezing rain set in. Finally, by late morning on the 19th it changed back to snow. Fortunately, I did not get my driveway plowed until just after lunch on the 19th, so there was snow under the ice on my driveway.

This section of NJ is interesting because just a few miles away precipitation types will be different. What say you, @frankdp23 about this phenomena? I am at about 200 feet AGL.

I was very similar this time for my area.  Overall I think I managed 4.40 snow and then sleet/ice.  I took a pic of that in my hand, not sure what the amount was since some of this was compacted snow/snowmelt as well. I think I'm around 190 feet AGL. Just looked at the local cocorahs station, and it recorded 4.3 new snow over the 18th/19th.  

20210219_072202.jpg

• Like 1

Going back to the golf photo someone posted from four years ago yesterday... This came up in my memories for 2/19/17 too. 

What a difference four years makes 😁20170219_151439.jpg.4095d1c315003bf20591093ba162ec8a.jpg

Now:

20210202_084814.jpg

• Like 8
17 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

Going back to the golf photo someone posted from four years ago yesterday... This came up in my memories for 2/19/17 too. 

What a difference four years makes 😁20170219_151439.jpg.4095d1c315003bf20591093ba162ec8a.jpg

Now:

20210202_084814.jpg

Shorts/T-shirt in February. Amazing. 😆 

• Like 1

Thought this was interesting. Would love to snow ratios for that first two hours of snow  but to My calculations looks like 2.5”/hr snows from 430-615am at work  

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Thought this was interesting. Would love to snow ratios for that first two hours of snow  but to My calculations looks like 2.5”/hr snows from 430-615am at work  

In contrast I only sink about an inch into our pack

IMG_4627 (2).JPG

• Like 2