OBS: February 18th, 19th Wintry Precipitation Event, Paging Chumbawamba, Paging Chumbawamba

2 hours ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

It feels like the banding differential this season was greater than average. I don’t know if the where is related to a combination of a positive tilt flow and relatively weak surface lows. There always some banding. I remember the training with positive tilt flow lows that banding favored the northeast not northwest quadrant which is the preferred location with deeper more mature systems. I need other met comments. I might have forgotten headaches trying to forecast events like this.

The strong blocking, positive tilt flow and the lack of heavily wound lows has benefited snow pack lovers like myself. It never warms up and every storm drops at least a couple inches of fresh snow before the glaze. Perfect winter setup for me at this latitude 

• Like 2
  • Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thunderstorms will never ever ever ever ever ever come close to the scenery of a snow covered landscape with a sun set 

Just got an email from Shutterfly with the “memories from this day last year”. Couldn’t be any more different. Grass was starting to green up, my gardens were all cleaned up and getting ready for mulc

This guy showed up just after I posted  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Moisture getting closer to us....Ice could get worse than it already is. 

Plus, keep an eye on the stuff down in the SE. That's what the HRRR thinks will be here tomorrow morning. 

23 minutes ago, js1522 said:

yep. just moved from PA to DC this year. we've been screwed at the 11th hour by every single threat. truly a miserable location for snow.

Bummer. :(

7 minutes ago, hm2 said:

Plus, keep an eye on the stuff down in the SE. That's what the HRRR thinks will be here tomorrow morning. 

yea, euro has .1-.15 qpf from philly on east tomorrow morning. Will the thermals cooperate for snow is the question

3 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

yea, euro has .1-.15 qpf from philly on east tomorrow morning. Will the thermals cooperate for snow is the question

eps are a bit more bullish, get about .25 to philly almost. Obv some thermal issues, mean has 1.6 for philly

• Like 1

With today's 7.0" of snow/sleet in Western Chester County Pa we have now recorded 30.4" of snow/sleet so far during this February. This now represents the 7th snowiest February in the Western Philly burbs since National Weather Service COOP record keeping began way back in 1894. In addition the 45.9 inches of snow we have received so far this winter season represents the 27th snowiest season in Chester County history. Below are the top 15 February's in recorded COOP historyimage.png.25f22efb0915f8dd507fda0f6af2e359.png

• Like 2

26.4 degrees currently on both the Ambient & Tempest 

freezing mist has created a nasty glaze on untreated surfaces

in the mostly snow zone a perfect setup today, cold surface with heavy snow coming in prior to sunrise, don't believe any flakes were wasted 

with the 2.8" at PHL today it brings the airport to 12.9" for the month, this is the snowiest FEB since 2014. Only the 4th above average FEB during the past 15 yrs

locally this is the 19th consecutive day with at least 2" of snow cover, additionally the monthly snow total is now 23.4" - this is also the snowiest FEB since 2014

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

26.4 degrees currently on both the Ambient & Tempest 

freezing mist has created a nasty glaze on untreated surfaces

in the mostly snow zone a perfect setup today, cold surface with heavy snow coming in prior to sunrise, don't believe any flakes were wasted 

with the 2.8" at PHL today it brings the airport to 12.9" for the month, this is the snowiest FEB since 2014. Only the 4th above average FEB during the past 15 yrs

locally this is the 19th consecutive day with at least 2" of snow cover, additionally the monthly snow total is now 23.4" - this is also the snowiest FEB since 2014

While the PHL heat island does what it does....here in the Philly burbs this February now has resulted in 4 of our top 7 snowiest February's in history all taking place since the turn of the century in 2000!

Gotta say that when I went for a quick 1 km cross-country ski on my lunch break in Collegeville at 1 PM that it was a true winter wonderland. Should be able to continue skiing for days on the Perkiomen Trail. Epic winter up my way

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

This morning's wall of high ratio (i think) snow made this one top 2 of the year for me. Was probably more enjoyable than my trip to Lewisburg. Home snow always wins out. 

Well they do say that about home cooking.

Late to the party, but 7.5 snow in Eagle/Chester Springs (40.0769,-75.7065)  with 0.5 sleet/ice on top. Kids enjoyed "punching' through the top layer. Stayed as snow until just after lunch, light sleet for ~ 3 more hrs. Significant drifting here, but I took the advice from the previous storm & had a snow board (white plastic cutting board) out away from the trees and ready for the official 24 hr measurement.

Just FYI to anyone on the roads. I finally just got done plowing from bensalem/ne Philly to lower bucks up through richboro/holland/warminster. Every single surface is a sheet of ice in these areas so be extra careful if you're on the roads. A lot of secondary and good portion of main roads also are still in horrible condition on top of it.

• Like 5
  • Qtown Snow changed the title to OBS: February 18th, 19th Wintry Precipitation Event, Paging Chumbawamba, Paging Chumbawamba
  • tombo82685 unpinned this topic