2/13-2/14 Wintry Mix Observation

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All surfaces are glazed over now - looks like steadiest of the precip is starting to slide out of my area. Few pics of what it looks like outside.

A brief shower of light sleet/fzra about a half hour ago - 29.5/10

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Parsley said:

What a dud this 10-14 day stretch (ending at the end of next week) would be if we end up with nothing more than stuff like this or cold rains next week after the light snowfall the other day. Atleast we had a strong start to the month and nice snowpack. 

Agree. The blocking for this week was a big failure along with Pv position. 

4 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Agree. The blocking for this week was a big failure along with Pv position. 

Yea the tpv positioning was what hurt the most. Not sure you would of needed blocking if the tpv was a bit further east 

Figure to check in. 26.5 here.  Interesting my sidewalk near my front door isn't  icy, but other areas is a sheet of ice.  Other areas you can literally slip on.  But just a nasty and raw night.  Good night to light up the fireplace and kick back and just veg out..

• Like 1

Walked out of work in NE philly to a nice glaze on everything with very light freezing drizzle. Interestingly enough, as I drove out of the parking garage, every drop that hit my windshield instantly froze. I mean instantly and to the point where the wipers didnt take them off. My truck temp said 28, but you would have thought 18 with how quickly they froze to the windshield. Never experienced that before, my window was glazed over in less than a minute, I had to use the wiper fluid to thaw it til my defrosters warmed up. Roads were mostly just wet which was nice, sidewalks are a different story.

Heaviest relative precip of the day here in NW Chesco...transitioned from some spotty ZR to now all IP with the heavier precip - temp has continued to slide now down to our low for the day of 25.3 DP 15.9

• Like 1

Got back home after visiting family about 20 miles north. Some disastrous accidents on the Garden State Parkway northbound. These cars were at a standstill for 2-3 miles behind one of them, all lanes were shut down for a while. Saw the car towed from the other accident, it was smashed together like an accordion. Bottom line - take ice seriously when driving.

10 hours ago, ACwx said:

Got back home after visiting family about 20 miles north. Some disastrous accidents on the Garden State Parkway northbound. These cars were at a standstill for 2-3 miles behind one of them, all lanes were shut down for a while. Saw the car towed from the other accident, it was smashed together like an accordion. Bottom line - take ice seriously when driving.

In PA, fortunately the non-95 roads were in pretty good shape it seems. But once I got close to the DE border and also inside DE, there were multiple accidents. 

1 hour ago, Birdtown2 said:

24.4 /22 very fine layer of ice on car not enough to make a difference on the road. Not worthy of WWA IMHO

Idk in NE Philly last night in parking lot I turned and my car lost control. Luckily stopped right before hitting something. It was sheet of ice on a slope. My backroads parts i just slide on with my shoes. I feel like a little more precip would have made this really bad. Main roads treated are fine though 

• Like 1

Well, I must be in a dry hole, my deck is pretty much dry with just a hint of frozen drizzle, certainly not slippery.   Definitely a T for the event here in NW Chesco.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

Idk in NE Philly last night in parking lot I turned and my car lost control. Luckily stopped right before hitting something. It was sheet of ice on a slope. My backroads parts i just slide on with my shoes. I feel like a little more precip would have made this really bad. Main roads treated are fine though 

I meant for Berks county. I know there was more QPF South & east. Here was very spotty.