Winter Storm Threats V (5 days and beyond)

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m checked in at the airport guys

Well guys it looks like it’s over. This year was an epic blast. Highs, lows, and in between. I’ll pop my head in and out if a cane comes close, and keep ya guys posted on my move to Worcester (pm me i

Hey guys I’m 100% going now “. Found an amwx poster who is also there to room with cut down on cost. Headed to Estes I’ll post pics/vids. I’m still trying to figure out if I’ll be able to get a Lyft f

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Qtown Snow said:

ecmwf-deterministic-ne-total_snow_10to1-8671600.png

gfs-deterministic-ne-total_snow_10to1-8671600.png

Snow maps not respecting elevation.    Those snow totals are possible above 2000', but nowhere near in valley locations.   Nice to see the Chestnut Ridge near Johnstown getting their last hurrah.

NWS has posted a watch for 4-7" primarily about elevations of 1000 ft.  So even if the models aren't respecting elevation, the meteorologists are.  I'm at just 250' but there are some hills above 500 in and around town.  I'm curious to see if any white falls.

46 minutes ago, iceman56 said:

Snow maps not respecting elevation.    Those snow totals are possible above 2000', but nowhere near in valley locations.   Nice to see the Chestnut Ridge near Johnstown getting their last hurrah.

I'm in a valley at 1200 ft 10 miles west of State College, and having lived here for 16 years I wouldn't be surprised if we get a few wet snowflakes late tonight/early tomorrow am. But about 5-6 miles to my west, it's 2000'+ and wouldn't be surprised if they get a slushy coating. Nothing at all unusual, in fact, if State College doesn't record a trace the rest of the way, the last trace was April 1 and that would unusually early for last trace. 

• Like 1

On another note, an AccuWeather long range forecaster on AccuWx Pro wrote today on their blog about a potential phased coastal low next week. From the pay site: "A highly baroclinic atmosphere will be in place, with a dome of high pressure across the West, a trough of low pressure across the Plains and Mississippi Valley, and a potential battle zone between cold continental air and warm tropical Atlantic air setting up along the East Coast. Both ensemble guidance and now some deterministic model runs are hinting at the potential for a potent storm taking shape next weekend (April 24-25)."

Likely not snow for most of any of us, but probably could be interesting for upstate NY, interior New England, and mmmmaaaayyyybbeee northern PA/Poconos. 

2 hours ago, JamieO said:

I'm in a valley at 1200 ft 10 miles west of State College, and having lived here for 16 years I wouldn't be surprised if we get a few wet snowflakes late tonight/early tomorrow am. But about 5-6 miles to my west, it's 2000'+ and wouldn't be surprised if they get a slushy coating. Nothing at all unusual, in fact, if State College doesn't record a trace the rest of the way, the last trace was April 1 and that would unusually early for last trace. 

I always forget you live in Port Matilda!  I grew up in Altoona (Sinking Valley, to be exact).  I made a lot of runs up 550 to State College, especially before 99 was finished.  I will be visiting relatives back home in June and will definitely be stopping at Way Fruit Farm.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JamieO said:

On another note, an AccuWeather long range forecaster on AccuWx Pro wrote today on their blog about a potential phased coastal low next week. From the pay site: "A highly baroclinic atmosphere will be in place, with a dome of high pressure across the West, a trough of low pressure across the Plains and Mississippi Valley, and a potential battle zone between cold continental air and warm tropical Atlantic air setting up along the East Coast. Both ensemble guidance and now some deterministic model runs are hinting at the potential for a potent storm taking shape next weekend (April 24-25)."

Likely not snow for most of any of us, but probably could be interesting for upstate NY, interior New England, and mmmmaaaayyyybbeee northern PA/Poconos. 

Weird I really don’t see anything on guidance atm?

anyway, I was gonna head up to S VT for this one but I got too much stuff going on so couldn’t. No biggie I saw enough snow this year. 

On 4/15/2021 at 12:17 PM, mshaffer526 said:

I always forget you live in Port Matilda!  I grew up in Altoona (Sinking Valley, to be exact).  I made a lot of runs up 550 to State College, especially before 99 was finished.  I will be visiting relatives back home in June and will definitely be stopping at Way Fruit Farm.

Cool! Yeah, 99 has changed a lot of things. 

On 4/15/2021 at 2:09 PM, Heisenberg said:

Weird I really don’t see anything on guidance atm?

anyway, I was gonna head up to S VT for this one but I got too much stuff going on so couldn’t. No biggie I saw enough snow this year. 

I know, I wondered that myself. 

• 3 weeks later...

This gefs run is gonna have some members that get snow very close to the city. There must be some members that have snow in VA thru 117... Not gonna happen but hoping a big event happens for some reason. Poconod May chase? One time! 

12AAF7D5-374E-4A6E-A8F5-2F47DFDD7189.png

6 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

This gefs run is gonna have some members that get snow very close to the city. There must be some members that have snow in VA thru 117... Not gonna happen but hoping a big event happens for some reason. Poconod May chase? One time! 

12AAF7D5-374E-4A6E-A8F5-2F47DFDD7189.png

how many beers did you have today?

• Like 7