Jump to content

The Ultimate GFS Barney Outbreak


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Rainshadow6.1 said:

-8F and three consecutive days of sub zero mins.  I'd have to look at where it would rank.  Happy Valentine's Day.

 

cold.JPG.cf4c44b6078394d7c14605b270765cbd.JPG

-8 would be second coldest since 1872 if memory serves.   -11 is 1934 is first I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rainshadow6.1 said:

On the upside, no insects next summer.

The super-warm temperatures seem to have already taken care of them. It's scary to think of the decimation of insects in MBY since I moved to the MA in 2006. Also, you NEVER see bugs splattered on your windshield anymore. Sad state of affairs...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rainshadow6.1 said:

I was surprised it was three.  Was one a double dipper midnight one day and then the ensuing morning?

Xmacis came back up and gave me this:

 

colddd.JPG

coldestest.JPG

I believe you're correct, 1/21 was a late evening below zero & 1/22 bottomed out at -7 around 3:00am.

I had -10 in Lower Bucks & Mt. Pocono bottomed out at -23. 

We'll be up in Lake Harmony for the long PD weekend, I know if that forecast holds it's going to be the last winter vacation of some of the family.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rainshadow6.1 said:

-8F and three consecutive days of sub zero mins.  I'd have to look at where it would rank.  Happy Valentine's Day.

 

cold.JPG.cf4c44b6078394d7c14605b270765cbd.JPG

Is there a website that has archived 850mb temps, either for a specific station like PHL or maps of a region / CONUS? I'm interested to see how these modeled arctic blasts (whether they actually come to fruition or not) stack up against some of the coldest in recent memory like 1/7/14 or late Feb 2015 and I like 850mb T as a good comparing tool. 

I remember right before the Feb 2015 cold blast arrived at PSU, the meteo dept. was having their weekly weather briefing and Paul Knight was amazed at the models showing -24C air at 850mb about to enter the state, and he said "That's about as cold as it can get around here in February" so that's become the benchmark I use lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rainshadow6.1 said:

I was surprised it was three.  Was one a double dipper midnight one day and then the ensuing morning?

Xmacis came back up and gave me this:

 

colddd.JPG

coldestest.JPG

So it's been 27 years since it's been below zero in Philly - 20 years into this century.   Amazing stat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, White_Mtn_Wx said:

January 31, 2019. Coldest temp I’ve ever recorded in Chester County

 

C39FC031-215A-40E8-B822-AAC0EBC46434.jpeg

E9600936-28CA-4958-BA20-B77535D13461.jpeg

I had a minus -17 in the 1994 outbreak after or before my only below zero high of -1 since I've been recording - going back to 1968.   Going from memory again, but I guess it was somewhere around 1/20/94.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, iceman56 said:

I had a minus -17 in the 1994 outbreak after or before my only below zero high of -1 since I've been recording - going back to 1968.   Going from memory again, but I guess it was somewhere around 1/20/94.

Wow. 93-94’ was the winter of all winters around here. Nothing before or after has remotely compared 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ACwx said:

Is there a website that has archived 850mb temps, either for a specific station like PHL or maps of a region / CONUS? I'm interested to see how these modeled arctic blasts (whether they actually come to fruition or not) stack up against some of the coldest in recent memory like 1/7/14 or late Feb 2015 and I like 850mb T as a good comparing tool. 

I remember right before the Feb 2015 cold blast arrived at PSU, the meteo dept. was having their weekly weather briefing and Paul Knight was amazed at the models showing -24C air at 850mb about to enter the state, and he said "That's about as cold as it can get around here in February" so that's become the benchmark I use lol

The E-wall site narr section of PSU does have 850mb temps on it. You need young eyes like yours, the maps are small.  1/7/14 they had a -30C isotherm in PA, looks like PHL bottomed at around -27C. When air masses are that cold the timing of the thermal core matters. If you have it passing toward morning mins get maximized, if during the day you can have temperatures hold or rise at night because you are warming (had to be some wind). Regardless of strength, any arctic blast is going to find a snow covered landscape either nearby or on us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2021 at 7:31 PM, Rainshadow6.1 said:

Oh those lanternflys; I saw a few this summer.  If the pattern I read elsewhere were to occur, we are going to be awash in them this summer.

Great.... it's also the return of brood X  https://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/periodical-cicada-brood-x-10-will-emerge-in-15-states-in-2021/ 

Last time they were around they were so prevalent they were sweeping them into boxes in my neighborhood and requesting emergency removal from the town because they smelled so bad. I understand the sound was deafening.

Maybe there will be a great bug battle between the cicadas and lantern flies. Can hardly wait. 😒

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...