The Darkest Winter Ever, EST Is Back For A Long Time

23 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Man you guys act like you live in AK and see no sun at all during the day. We get 8 hrs of sunlight during the darkest stretch, not that bad at all

You don't hear me talking about moving to Alaska much.  Just sayin' 😜

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He decided to get out and jog while the 8hr sun was still shining today 😁:

Basement tree been up for 2 weeks today....the rest goes up right after turkey day!! Happy Holidays to all!!!

Man you guys act like you live in AK and see no sun at all during the day. We get 8 hrs of sunlight during the darkest stretch, not that bad at all

Posted Images

23 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

Tom...You can rent out my new Maine cottage anytime this winter...

93A283A0-7E03-42FA-A9F0-6A6B7ADAE9BE.jpeg

Wow, what latitude are you?     My earliest sunset in Colebrook is 4:05 p.m.

18 hours ago, iceman56 said:

It's not the latitude it's the longitude.  He's actually south of your latitude, but I think he is about 175 miles east of you.  That's good for earlier sunrise/sunset.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

It's not the latitude it's the longitude.  He's actually south of your latitude, but I think he is about 175 miles east of you.  That's good for earlier sunrise/sunset.

My bad, didn't think it through.

• Like 1
On 11/2/2020 at 6:08 PM, iceman56 said:

10 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

Correct...-68 long.

I’m 1.5 hours northeast of Acadia where the sun rises first in the US on Cadillac Mountain!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

Getting there.  We have only four minutes of afternoon sun to lose.  The sun sets slightly later on the first day of astronomical winter and definitely later on Christmas Day than it did today. :)

The later sunrises don't even faze me. Once the sunsets stop slipping earlier we've turned the corner. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

Getting there.  We have only four minutes of afternoon sun to lose.  The sun sets slightly later on the first day of astronomical winter and definitely later on Christmas Day than it did today. :)

Great news. Christmas tree and outdoor lights are up here. That will brighten spirits til the end of December, then Mother Nature takes over from there! 😎

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Great news. Christmas tree and outdoor lights are up here. That will brighten spirits til the end of December, then Mother Nature takes over from there! 😎

I have had some Christmas lights on ever since the end of March.  I put more out yesterday, but will wait until after Thanksgiving to light them.

• Like 3

MEH, I don't get how sunlight or lack of it turns people into eeeyores. Repeat after me THERE IS ATLEAST 8 HOURS OF SUNLIGHT DURING THE DAY!!! If you can't go out and enjoy the sun in 8 hours I don't know what to tell you. It's not like we live in Alaska where they won't even see the sun till January, sheesh

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I put up a bunch of lights last week, and then went crazy and put up about eight more strands outside. I've had them on since last weekend, and have gotten three comments from neighbors about how happy they are to see lights up. I also ordered a few timers on Amazon so I don't have to trudge outside to plug/unplug constantly. 

In this pandemic winter, I'm keeping them up until the end of January. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

MEH, I don't get how sunlight or lack of it turns people into eeeyores. Repeat after me THERE IS ATLEAST 8 HOURS OF SUNLIGHT DURING THE DAY!!! If you can't go out and enjoy the sun in 8 hours I don't know what to tell you. It's not like we live in Alaska where they won't even see the sun till January, sheesh

Seasonal affective disorder

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20364651

Pretty common. Luckily, I don't battle this myself but I know family and friends that do.

9 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Seasonal affective disorder

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20364651

Pretty common. Luckily, I don't battle this myself but I know family and friends that do.

O I know it’s common, but I wonder how common it is around here. Like up in Canada and Alaska I could see it big time. 

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

O I know it’s common, but I wonder how common it is around here. Like up in Canada and Alaska I could see it big time. 

When you go from 15 hours of daylight (June-July) down to 9 1/2 (November-December) I think it just tends to throw many people off. Add colder temperatures into the mix and it makes it even worse.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Most people work during those 8 hours and unless they walk in he dark never get free hours of daylight to do anything. Bah humbug

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Harbourton said:

Most people work during those 8 hours and unless they walk in he dark never get free hours of daylight to do anything. Bah humbug

Not on the weekends. Most people are working from home. Lunch break go outside....

• Like 1
On 11/22/2020 at 1:23 PM, tombo82685 said:

I'm a snow and (for the most part Dec.- Feb.) winter lover, so the dark days for a few months really don't bother me personally. I just like to whine in this thread. People who hater snow though, I don't know I they can handle winter around here. 

9 minutes ago, Parsley said:

I'm a snow and (for the most part Dec.- Feb.) winter lover, so the dark days for a few months really don't bother me personally. I just like to whine in this thread. People who hater snow though, I don't know I they can handle winter around here. 

Hahaha I hear ya. I enjoy all type of weather except the heat/high dews. Unfortunately, the longer days usually bring that about, so thats why I hate it, not so much the length of sunlight. If we had May like temps with June length of day I would enjoy it