Meteorological Autumn Banter Thread

15 minutes ago, rramblings said:

Thanks. I found your experience interesting.I have black walnut but she does not overhang my roof. She is messy but I love all my trees. Still, black walnut leaves do end up in my gutter. My carpenter cleans my gutters for me, he has been up twice so far. And they are due to be cleaned again. The spring/early summer cleaning was also cause of the Oak. 

I have heard that gutter guards are not perfect and cleaning them is a pain. 

Tyler

Thanks for your input. I could, legally, trim off the branches that hang over my property, but the branches are at least 35 to 50 feet tall. Plus there are power lines involved. I know the cost would be high.  Well the good news is that the tree is nearly bare now!

• Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I get bored I cook/bake. This is the first time I e ever made a pie completely from scratch. Made an apple crumb pie yesterday afternoon Taste amazing. 

I think I found a house that would out Tom  Tom at Christmas if it does for Christmas what it does for Halloween...

Quite the sunset today.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, eastonwx said:

Thanks for your input. I could, legally, trim off the branches that hang over my property, but the branches are at least 35 to 50 feet tall. Plus there are power lines involved. I know the cost would be high.  Well the good news is that the tree is nearly bare now!

I was wondering what your legal options for the black walnut branches that overhang your property. I suspect you are right about the cost being high to remove the branches, especially with the power lines. My arborist does good work but is not licensed to work around power lines. Our Black Walnut is almost bare. While she is messy at least she does not over hang our roof, and our arborist trims every so often for safety. The black walnut leaves that end up in our gutters are blown by the wind so our situation is better than yours. The Oak pollen in the spring is also an issue for us.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, rramblings said:

I was wondering what your legal options for the black walnut branches that overhang your property. I suspect you are right about the cost being high to remove the branches, especially with the power lines. My arborist does good work but is not licensed to work around power lines. Our Black Walnut is almost bare. While she is messy at least she does not over hang our roof, and our arborist trims every so often for safety. The black walnut leaves that end up in our gutters are blown by the wind so our situation is better than yours. The Oak pollen in the spring is also an issue for us.

You are fortunate to have someone trim your trees regularly! From what I've read you can trim trees that hang over your property line as long as the process doesn't endanger the tree. In the Spring we do have some pollen or seed pod issues but I'm not sure what it's from.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, eastonwx said:

You are fortunate to have someone trim your trees regularly! From what I've read you can trim trees that hang over your property line as long as the process doesn't endanger the tree. In the Spring we do have some pollen or seed pod issues but I'm not sure what it's from.

Yes, we are lucky to have the ability to pay an arborist to trim our trees. Our lawn guys will trim lower branches as well as branches that are not near a house. Our arborist does cost something, but he has a discount for winter tree work. He also has put in cables and does insect control. And his treating our Red Oak that was struck by lightning two years ago, at this point this involves insect control. The wound is healing. A couple of our trees are alive because of him.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rramblings said:

Yes, we are lucky to have the ability to pay an arborist to trim our trees. Our lawn guys will trim lower branches as well as branches that are not near a house. Our arborist does cost something, but he has a discount for winter tree work. He also has put in cables and does insect control. And his treating our Red Oak that was struck by lightning two years ago, at this point this involves insect control. The wound is healing. A couple of our trees are alive because of him.

It takes a lot of work to keep trees healthy and well kept. Maples may be my favorites (mostly sugar), but oaks are impressive, stately trees.

• Like 1

Yes, it is a lot of work to keep trees healthy and well kept. We do our best with the help of our lawn guy for the low stuff and my arborist for the high or pruning that requires more skill.

I had a sugar maple, it was dying so my arborist took it down. I have a beautiful Red Maple. My arborist had cabled the tree in early 2011. Then Irene came and I saw her out my study window during the height of the storm, blowing in the wind. I could see that if she had not been cabled she would of been a victim of Irene. Behind her the red oak, healing from lightning damage. My arborist's crew chief went up in the bucket truck to find the entry point of the lightning and to check for damage, none found, only the scar. Lucky. So  get to look at two beautiful trees outside my home office

• Like 1

To change the subject, if you please. There are only 400 Northern Atlantic Right Whales left. They are critically endangered. Frequent causes of death are entanglement in commercial fishing gear and boat strikes, mostly larger boats. We may have lost another one. There was an article in the Star Ledger, here is the press release from NOAA Fisheries

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/feature-story/entangled-north-atlantic-right-whale-spotted-new-jersey

And a page from NOAA Fisheries on the Northern Atlantic Right Whale. https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/north-atlantic-right-whale#overview

Wishing I could do more. But I can pass the word and some of you are boaters.

Tyler

• Like 1

Few pics from our weekend outside of Jim Thorpe.  It was crazy to see how much further along the leaves were once we got on the other side of Blue Mountain.

hC5Vg0jk29W6scaqbNVhYH7LxUqsNllpJ9DqtM9E

BUBM6C_pvC-21KkyWAzVQBXBFiQO3Rw2HJFfcMcS

C1Ev8nq0G3lcb4IOy0XfxLJ3B_PWhvAW2Fun44gg

When I get bored I cook/bake. This is the first time I e ever made a pie completely from scratch. Made an apple crumb pie yesterday afternoon Taste amazing. 

CFA89F0D-20C4-4AFF-B1C8-3210B78F8594.jpeg

• Like 10
7 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

There's your side hustle!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

CFA89F0D-20C4-4AFF-B1C8-3210B78F8594.jpeg

That is awesome! Scratch made is sooo much better! Did you use lard?

3 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

yea did half lard and butter for the crust

My mother-in-law swears by lard pie crusts! She supplies us with pies for the holidays!!!

1 hour ago, eastonwx said:

My mother-in-law swears by lard pie crusts! She supplies us with pies for the holidays!!!

Lard crust makes the crust flakey, which is what you want 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rainshadow5.8 said:

I think I found a house that would out Tom  Tom at Christmas if it does for Christmas what it does for Halloween...

halloween.JPG.58ba6c324b6856e2d5fafd4f98c7a0e3.JPG

Thats damn impressive. 

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, frankdp23 said:

Even though we are still having above normal months, so far this fall has felt like...fall.  No 90s at least.  

One of the best falls I can remember. 

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Parsley said:

One of the best falls I can remember. 

Here at home, the temperature has not hit 90 since August 27.  Hasn't topped 85 since September 10.  It's just been spectacular.

• Like 2