Jump to content

Meteorological Autumn Banter Thread


Recommended Posts

As we patiently wait to have our hearts broken by a lack of snow this winter, I saw that the record for the coldest NH temperature was finally verified.

-93.3F !!! Can you imagine? I might have gotten my thermo wrong, but I believe that's below the solid condensation "dewpoint" for CO2 at 1 bar and therefore some amounts of atmospheric CO2 would have anti-sublimated. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/09/23/northern-hemisphere-cold-record/

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, snowlurker said:

As we patiently wait to have our hearts broken by a lack of snow this winter, I saw that the record for the coldest NH temperature was finally verified.

-93.3F !!! Can you imagine? I might have gotten my thermo wrong, but I believe that's below the solid condensation "dewpoint" for CO2 at 1 bar and therefore some amounts of atmospheric CO2 would have anti-sublimated. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/09/23/northern-hemisphere-cold-record/

Cant be any worse for us snow wise in 2021.  Only thing that would do it is bitter cold and no snow. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Parsley said:

Cant be any worse for us snow wise in 2021.  Only thing that would do it is bitter cold and no snow. 

Extreme cold in no way is a substitute. But it would be incredible to experience such extreme weather if but for a moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, snowlurker said:

Extreme cold in no way is a substitute. But it would be incredible to experience such extreme weather if but for a moment.

-15 here with suppressed snowstorms in the Carolinas. 
 

sounds like fun! 😆 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, If the Eagles don't win the Thursday night home game against the Giants in a few weeks, what game is the first win? This team couldn't even beat the Bungals. Hope everyone is well, checking in from a snowier land more often now as we approach winter. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mitchg said:

So, If the Eagles don't win the Thursday night home game against the Giants in a few weeks, what game is the first win? This team couldn't even beat the Bungals. Hope everyone is well, checking in from a snowier land more often now as we approach winter. 

 

IF we still had Nick Foles, he would have started in place of Wentz for Thursday night. Hope he does well with the Da Bears. 

Send pictures of the leaves changing and snow fall. We aren't going to get any down here. 🙃

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cbelke said:

 

IF we still had Nick Foles, he would have started in place of Wentz for Thursday night. Hope he does well with the Da Bears. 

Send pictures of the leaves changing and snow fall. We aren't going to get any down here. 🙃

After the 2018 season the Eagles were forced to decide between Wentz or Foles, there was no way from a cap standpoint they could pay a backup QB $20M+ / year. The decision to choose Wentz was the correct one at that time. Wentz certainly has issues but with that being said by far the biggest problem with the organization is the front office particularly Howie. Since 2017 the drafts have been horrendous which is why they are forced to spend $$$ signing aging free agents & subsequently are currently up against the cap. You don't recover from drafting Arcega-Whiteside over D.K. Metcalf. The O line picks have been brutal which is why you have no depth for an old OL & you have to sign a clearly broken down Peters to play LT. With all the needs on the team to draft a QB in the 2nd round after you signed Wentz to a $128M contract is beyond absurd. Speaking of Wentz contract, how is that looking now, he still could have been on the last year of his 4 yr $26.6M entry contract this season. They are stuck with Wentz next year as his $34.6M salary & cap hit are guaranteed. Team does have an out before the 2022 season at the expense of a $24M cap hit, I believe as I'm certainly no cap expert.

You have to be able to draft in the NFL to sustain excellence otherwise you get what have now which is complete disarray & the SB win looking like a one hit wonder.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an honest to God dream this morning that we were tracking the first snowfall of the season, and in the last 24 hours before the event it shifted north. The bizarre thing is I wasn't even in PA... Not even on the same planet maybe. Take from this what you will 🤪

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mshaffer526 said:

I had an honest to God dream this morning that we were tracking the first snowfall of the season, and in the last 24 hours before the event it shifted north. The bizarre thing is I wasn't even in PA... Not even on the same planet maybe. Take from this what you will 🤪

That’s what years of busts do to a snow weenie. 🌭 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

HI everyone. No, I have not been anywhere. My sweetie and I are ok. Just wanting to say hi and wave 👋 to all of you fine folk here on my favorite weather forum. I may absent myself for several days for no particular reason, but I always come back. Hope that everyone is as well as can be expected in these times. Stay safe.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading up to Jim Thorpe for the first time this weekend. We got an Airbnb cabin about twenty minutes outside the town near Beltzville State Park. Foliage should be nice with the recent chilly weather. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 7:02 PM, eastonwx said:

Anyone using a gutter guard product to stop leaves from clogging gutters? Any suggestions?

Ditto, I too am interested in a gutter guard production.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rramblings said:

Ditto, I too am interested in a gutter guard production.

 

I had a new roof and gutters installed last November. I upgraded to 6" gutters since I had been regularly climbing the ladder to clean out leaves from a neighbors large black walnut tree (incredibly dirty, nasty trees) which partially overhangs my roof. Roofer said the 6" gutters should really handle leaves from clogging (maybe a regular tree) and actually talked me out of getting the gutter guards. He said that no product is perfect, and that eventually gutters would need to be cleaned (which would be a bigger job, due to taking the guards off to clean gutters).  Well, this year I've had to go up the ladder twice and I am reconsidering.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, irishbri74 said:

If it could not rain Friday/Friday might , that be great. Supposed to be hosting my brother in laws wedding in the backyard... 

🤬

 

B5B4C974-ABB1-44FC-A4C9-F47F166BDFAE.png

Agreed.  I'm in a wedding on Friday afternoon and they are having small outdoor afterparty at his new wife's parents house.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, frankdp23 said:

Agreed.  I'm in a wedding on Friday afternoon and they are having small outdoor afterparty at his new wife's parents house.

Well the 12z runs weren’t encouraging at all

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, eastonwx said:

I had a new roof and gutters installed last November. I upgraded to 6" gutters since I had been regularly climbing the ladder to clean out leaves from a neighbors large black walnut tree (incredibly dirty, nasty trees) which partially overhangs my roof. Roofer said the 6" gutters should really handle leaves from clogging (maybe a regular tree) and actually talked me out of getting the gutter guards. He said that no product is perfect, and that eventually gutters would need to be cleaned (which would be a bigger job, due to taking the guards off to clean gutters).  Well, this year I've had to go up the ladder twice and I am reconsidering.

Thanks. I found your experience interesting.I have black walnut but she does not overhang my roof. She is messy but I love all my trees. Still, black walnut leaves do end up in my gutter. My carpenter cleans my gutters for me, he has been up twice so far. And they are due to be cleaned again. The spring/early summer cleaning was also cause of the Oak. 

I have heard that gutter guards are not perfect and cleaning them is a pain. 
 

Tyler

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...