Western Chester County Weather Analysis 1894-Present

2 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

my condolences regarding your father's & aunt's passing

my dad grew up in the lower NE close to Northeast High & his back in the day weather nugget was that "our biggest snowstorms occur in March", technically not true however the late 40's thru early 60's did see significantly snowier than average MAR's

Thank you for the kind thoughts- it is appreciated!

I have to run the numbers but I highly suspect the recent March's are also well above normal snowfalls compared to past decades. It does seem in our current climate change cycle that we generally are moving to warmer falls and colder springs.....

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let the temps drop.   

Here is the link I used for KPTW and KQMS (remove quotes) "https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?q=17"

Paul - Thanks for correcting the data. Below are 90F days for doylestown and quakertown and a plot of all the suburban airports and phl. The data is noisy, and KPTW in particular bounces around more t

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, chescopawxman said:

There was 17" on the ground with an AM low of 3 degrees on the 25th 0.49" of ZR and eventually plain rain fell that day -the high for the day was 39 degrees the next day the 26th saw 2.02" of rain with the temp soaring to 56 degrees dwindling the snow pack to only 4" on the morning of the 27th

In Lower Bucks that big cutter & 2" of rain completely wiped out a very healthy snow pack. That winter was so good that even when we lost we ending up winning as the melted snow & heavy rain created so much runoff that the subsequent flash freeze created the best sledding conditions ever. The frozen runoff never melted until the middle of March.

1 minute ago, colonel_kurtz said:

In Lower Bucks that big cutter & 2" of rain completely wiped out a very healthy snow pack. That winter was so good that even when we lost we ending up winning as the melted snow & heavy rain created so much runoff that the subsequent flash freeze created the best sledding conditions ever. The frozen runoff never melted until the middle of March.

I remember it well! I had to walk about about 1.5 miles from my house to Archbishop Ryan HS and we crossed a field behind the football/soccer fields to get to the back of the school. I remember the non-stop solid as a rock snow cover and the care we had to take with our Catholic school shoes on to not fall on our ass!

5 minutes ago, chescopawxman said:

I remember it well! I had to walk about about 1.5 miles from my house to Archbishop Ryan HS and we crossed a field behind the football/soccer fields to get to the back of the school. I remember the non-stop solid as a rock snow cover and the care we had to take with our Catholic school shoes on to not fall on our ass!

Before we moved to Lower Bucks in 1976 I grew up on Chalfont Drive just a couple of blocks down from Ryan

Yep! I grew up on Waldemire Drive toward Red Lion Road....played all my little league games at the Chalfont Playground just down the hill from Fitzpatrick School...

Memories of February 2010 - 2 top 10 all-time snowstorms within 6 days 18.3" on the 6th and 26.8" on the 10th and on our way to our 2nd snowiest February on record at 62.8" - it also got East Nantmeal and yours truly into the Newspaper!

http://www.chescowx.com/East Nantmeal Tops region in latest snowfall.pdf

East Nantmeal Tops region in latest snowfall.pdf

• Like 1