Jump to content

Most viewed live games on NBC Sports Philadelphia


chescowx
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey guys - a non-weather topic as we all miss live sports during these crazy days

I saw an article by David Murphy (Inquirer) where he was trying to find ways to "make baseball more watchable with a potential shortened season being discussed" as he opined that most people find baseball boring to watch on TV and are not interested in watching. Now, I know a lot of folks may indeed find it boring....but his statement made me go back and look at the facts regarding Philadelphia's viewing habits when it comes to live sports on TV available multiple times a week during the season. I am not including the Eagles as with it only on TV once a week it is not comparable.

I found the attached year end review of 2019 viewership on NBC Sports Philadelphia (the #1 cable network in Philadelphia). The facts say the Philadelphia area indeed finds baseball to be their favorite sport to watch on TV by a large margin over the other 2 major sports. Phillies games average well above both the Sixers in basketball and the Flyers in hockey for average live game viewership. This baseball ratings despite baseball being having twice as many games available to watch during the season.

In 2019 the Phillies averaged over 30% more viewers per game than the Sixers and a whopping 2x as many viewers as Flyers game viewership. In fact the Top 5 live games on the network were all Phillies games and for those that stream games the top 4 in the top 5 were Phillies games with only the Sixers cracking the top 5.https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/nbc-sports-philadelphia/nbc-sports-philadelphia-most-watched-cable-network-2019

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, chescopawxman said:

Hey guys - a non-weather topic as we all miss live sports during these crazy days

I saw an article by David Murphy (Inquirer) where he was trying to find ways to "make baseball more watchable with a potential shortened season being discussed" as he opined that most people find baseball boring to watch on TV and are not interested in watching. Now, I know a lot of folks may indeed find it boring....but his statement made me go back and look at the facts regarding Philadelphia's viewing habits when it comes to live sports on TV available multiple times a week during the season. I am not including the Eagles as with it only on TV once a week it is not comparable.

I found the attached year end review of 2019 viewership on NBC Sports Philadelphia (the #1 cable network in Philadelphia). The facts say the Philadelphia area indeed finds baseball to be their favorite sport to watch on TV by a large margin over the other 2 major sports. Phillies games average well above both the Sixers in basketball and the Flyers in hockey for average live game viewership. This baseball ratings despite baseball being having twice as many games available to watch during the season.

In 2019 the Phillies averaged over 30% more viewers per game than the Sixers and a whopping 2x as many viewers as Flyers game viewership. In fact the Top 5 live games on the network were all Phillies games and for those that stream games the top 4 in the top 5 were Phillies games with only the Sixers cracking the top 5.https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/nbc-sports-philadelphia/nbc-sports-philadelphia-most-watched-cable-network-2019

I really, really miss baseball. If they played in empty minor league stadiums, I'd watch the f#$% out of those games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, snowlurker said:

I really, really miss baseball. If they played in empty minor league stadiums, I'd watch the f#$% out of those games.

I think I might watch live gold fish racing at this point....I still think baseball comes back in some form this summer!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Baseball is boring. 

NFL, NHL and NBA are all more exciting.

Obviously, Eagles are king. The other three sports, the Sixers and Flyers have been basically irrelevant (no championships) for decades. The Phillies were lucky to get one championship in the 2000s and they play their season with limited competition (other sports) during much of their season (May-August). That clearly works to their advantage. 

Just my 2 cent as a non-Philly fan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Baseball is boring. 

NFL, NHL and NBA are all more exciting.

Obviously, Eagles are king. The other three sports, the Sixers and Flyers have been basically irrelevant (no championships) for decades. The Phillies were lucky to get one championship in the 2000s and they play their season with limited competition (other sports) during much of their season (May-August). That clearly works to their advantage. 

Just my 2 cent as a non-Philly fan. 

Respect your opinion (heck by cousin Pat who hosts the weekly Saturday football show on 97.5 and I argue this out often -it's a fun argument!!) but clearly in Philly baseball (of the frequently played sports) rules. I would argue that when all is equal - meaning both teams competitive and winning that if the Phillies played only 1 game a week they of course would of course sell out every game (heck they sold out 45k seats for 257 games from 2009-2012) so like the birds they can sell out a big stadium 1x a week and if they only played 16 times instead of 162 times I am confident the TV ratings would no doubt be similar - for example when the Phillies were in the playoffs in 2008 -2011 and their games overlapped with the Birds - the Phillies beat them head to head - now of course that was playoffs/WS. While we can never truly compare baseball to football...Philly has always and will be a great baseball town...heck it's a great sports town!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, chescopawxman said:

Respect your opinion (heck by cousin Pat who hosts the weekly Saturday football show on 97.5 and I argue this out often -it's a fun argument!!) but clearly in Philly baseball (of the frequently played sports) rules. I would argue that when all is equal - meaning both teams competitive and winning that if the Phillies played only 1 game a week they of course would of course sell out every game (heck they sold out 45k seats for 257 games from 2009-2012) so like the birds they can sell out a big stadium 1x a week and if they only played 16 times instead of 162 times I am confident the TV ratings would no doubt be similar - for example when the Phillies were in the playoffs in 2008 -2011 and their games overlapped with the Birds - the Phillies beat them head to head - now of course that was playoffs/WS. While we can never truly compare baseball to football...Philly has always and will be a great baseball town...heck it's a great sports town!

It is a great sports town. I’m jealous that fanship is divided where I’m from as cities (and suburbs) are torn apart by multiple teams in the same community (I speak of NY). 

Growing up, my best friend liked the other NY hockey team, another good friend liked the other NY football team. It’s sucked as unity isn’t what it is in a place like Philly. I’m jealous. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Baseball is boring. 

NFL, NHL and NBA are all more exciting.

Obviously, Eagles are king. The other three sports, the Sixers and Flyers have been basically irrelevant (no championships) for decades. The Phillies were lucky to get one championship in the 2000s and they play their season with limited competition (other sports) during much of their season (May-August). That clearly works to their advantage. 

Just my 2 cent as a non-Philly fan. 

Before this year the Flyers have been irrelevant for 7 seasons, prior to that back to 1980 they were in the finals 5 times & in the conference finals another 5 times. They had a dead period in the early 90's which as short lived once the acquired Lindros. 

The Phillies won the NL East for 5 consecutive seasons so they were hardly lucky to win the WS, they actually should won at least another title with that core group. Unfortunately Hamels decided to go through the motions in 2009 & that WS was the only time A-Rod actually hit in the playoffs.

IMO the NBA in it's current state is an awful product, players have run the league since the last CBA and subsequently the game has suffered greatly. 

Baseball in it's current state is also a train wreck, analytics has ruined the game with the focus on walks, running up pitch counts & an endless parade of pitching changes. 3-4 hour games are insufferable.

Football despite the leagues best efforts to ruin the game, oversaturation, hideous officiating....is clearly top dog & far more than hockey & baseball a national sport. Gambling alone will maintain the NFL's lofty status. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Before this year the Flyers have been irrelevant for 7 seasons, prior to that back to 1980 they were in the finals 5 times & in the conference finals another 5 times. They had a dead period in the early 90's which as short lived once the acquired Lindros. 

The Phillies won the NL East for 5 consecutive seasons so they were hardly lucky to win the WS, they actually should won at least another title with that core group. Unfortunately Hamels decided to go through the motions in 2009 & that WS was the only time A-Rod actually hit in the playoffs.

IMO the NBA in it's current state is an awful product, players have run the league since the last CBA and subsequently the game has suffered greatly. 

Baseball in it's current state is also a train wreck, analytics has ruined the game with the focus on walks, running up pitch counts & an endless parade of pitching changes. 3-4 hour games are insufferable.

Football despite the leagues best efforts to ruin the game, oversaturation, hideous officiating....is clearly top dog & far more than hockey & baseball a national sport. Gambling alone will maintain the NFL's lofty status. 

 

Yeah, not saying the Phils were lucky, more you’re lucky they got a championship as the best teams in the league don’t automatically win a championship. It ain’t easy to win it all. 

With regards to basketball, atleast Villanova has had some great seasons in recent years. Can’t beat the excitement of the tourney when a local team is in it. Even I have hopped on their bandwagon in recent years. 

Like you said, baseball is a mess. I can handle it on the radio on a summer afternoon or evening but something like Sunday night baseball is a perfect sleeping pill. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Parsley said:

Baseball is boring. 

NFL, NHL and NBA are all more exciting.

Obviously, Eagles are king. The other three sports, the Sixers and Flyers have been basically irrelevant (no championships) for decades. The Phillies were lucky to get one championship in the 2000s and they play their season with limited competition (other sports) during much of their season (May-August). That clearly works to their advantage. 

Just my 2 cent as a non-Philly fan. 

To each their own. And your opinion obviously is wrong hahaha

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, chescopawxman said:

I always tell folks that baseball is not for everyone.....they do call it the "Thinking Man's Game" for a reason....LOL!!

NHL is my #1 and that is clearly not a fan favorite in this country. I guess I like being an oddball. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Parsley said:

NHL is my #1 and that is clearly not a fan favorite in this country. I guess I like being an oddball. 

NHL playoffs are the most entertaining & intense sporting event of the year, was really looking forward to the Flyers being back in the mix this season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

NHL playoffs are the most entertaining & intense sporting event of the year, was really looking forward to the Flyers being back in the mix this season

Yeah, they had as good a chance as anyone in the East. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, frankdp23 said:

Never got into hockey.  MLB, NBA and NFL for me.  I think I've watched more tennis in my life than NHL.  I just cheer for the Rangers to lose every year since their fans are annoying. 

Frank! That’s my team. 
 

I thought we were bros. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2020 at 7:53 PM, colonel_kurtz said:

NHL playoffs are the most entertaining & intense sporting event of the year, was really looking forward to the Flyers being back in the mix this season

Agreed I love NHL playoffs biggest issue with both Hockey and Basketball is how relatively easy it is to make the playoffs in those sports compared to Baseball - makes the regular season tough to stick with for me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, chescopawxman said:

Agreed I love NHL playoffs biggest issue with both Hockey and Basketball is how relatively easy it is to make the playoffs in those sports compared to Baseball - makes the regular season tough to stick with for me

I agree with that. NHL allows too many teams in and the playoffs are drawn out too long for such a grueling sport. 4 rounds, best of 7 in hockey can be brutal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, frankdp23 said:

Haha, sorry!  So many Ranger fans around my area growing up.  All they do is cry about officiating in every playoff loss it seems.  Hopefully you aren't one of those :)

Nah, I just cry about their ONE championship in lifetime. Sad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, chescopawxman said:

Agreed I love NHL playoffs biggest issue with both Hockey and Basketball is how relatively easy it is to make the playoffs in those sports compared to Baseball - makes the regular season tough to stick with for me

IMO the NHL payoffs are fine with 16 teams of 31 teams making the postseason. Teams with losing records do not make the playoffs and it's pretty much open season as lower seeded teams routinely beat higher ones. A #8 seed has won the Cup in 2012, last season a #5 seed toke the title & the prior season all 4 division winners lost in the first round. A hot goalie can really be the x factor in a playoff series & winning on the road is not the challenge it is in other sports postseason.

The NBA is the complete opposite of the NHL in terms of playoffs, the league is top heavy even more so now with the best players colluding to choose their free agent destinations. Weak sub .500 teams make the NBA playoffs, 2 sub .500 teams would have made the Eastern Conference playoffs this year. Essentially the finals are match ups between 1 or 2 seeds. 5, 6,7 & 8 seeds have no shot to win the title. Unlike the NHL no 8 seed has ever reached a conference final let alone win it all. The NBA on the food chain is a notch above the WWE in terms of predictability & being scripted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, snowlurker said:

Good burn

Hey I do what I can here

I really do miss baseball though. I work from home and one of the nicest things during the summer months is to put on the midday Phillies games or previous night's game and have that as some nice background noise when I'm not on calls. It's slow enough not to be distracting but engaging enough to enjoy. Typing this, I realized I haven't actually watched any television since February, maybe even earlier. Biggest drag for me is the lack of racing though (I am a big F1, endurance racing fan), the season would have just started but of course everything is canceled worldwide...procrastination really paid off this year with tickets to everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...