Jump to content

COVID-19 check-in; Pfizer, Moderna, JNJ All Have Vaccines.


Recommended Posts

On 9/16/2021 at 12:42 PM, mshaffer526 said:

We just had to tell my wife's parents that they cannot come to either of our kid's birthday parties because they're unvaccinated.  It's creating a very painful/awkward rift.

It's a shame that literally everything in today's day and age is politicized.  Most polio cases were "minor" too, but that didn't stop virtually every parent from lining up around the block to get their child the shot, because the moderate/severe cases were so damaging long-term.  I've lost most of my hope for this country over the last couple of years.

We have not seen my in-laws for more than two years for similar reasons.  We have all had to make difficult decisions on who to allow near our families these past 18-months.  Know that you have the complete support for your actions from this distant weather weenie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2nd shot today, literally a minute ago. Getting ready to enjoy all that I have been missing.  Thank you scientific/medical community. 

So I think you're definitely right about chloroquine and it only helping some people. Im a RN in an ICU and in my experience so far with these COVID patients, it doesnt help everyone. It seems the ear

To reiterate this point--   Since we've had vaccines out there in the public domain (think March-ish) and people have been "fully vaccinated" we've had 558 total ICU patients on ventilators,

Posted Images

Some good news today from Pfizer about their vaccine's immune response in kids 5-11: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/20/pfizer-covid-vaccine-is-safe-generates-robust-immune-response-in-kids-ages-5-to-11.html

 

Also on a separate note, based on the current science isn't it correct to think this is the last big wave of hospitalizations to expect from Covid? Even for unvaccinated people, a 2nd bout with the virus is usually minor from what I understand since you have certain antibodies from the 1st bout, so even if case counts rise again this winter, a very large majority of people (in the U.S. anyway) will be either vaccinated or already have prior infection, which should keep hospitalizations lower.

Yes I'm keeping in mind the possibility of other variants to emerge, but also from what I understand it will be easy to update the current vaccine formulas if necessary, and the virus can't mutate to a point where it evades vaccines completely or else it wouldn't really have an effect on our bodies anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ACwx said:

Some good news today from Pfizer about their vaccine's immune response in kids 5-11: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/20/pfizer-covid-vaccine-is-safe-generates-robust-immune-response-in-kids-ages-5-to-11.html

 

Also on a separate note, based on the current science isn't it correct to think this is the last big wave of hospitalizations to expect from Covid? Even for unvaccinated people, a 2nd bout with the virus is usually minor from what I understand since you have certain antibodies from the 1st bout, so even if case counts rise again this winter, a very large majority of people (in the U.S. anyway) will be either vaccinated or already have prior infection, which should keep hospitalizations lower.

Yes I'm keeping in mind the possibility of other variants to emerge, but also from what I understand it will be easy to update the current vaccine formulas if necessary, and the virus can't mutate to a point where it evades vaccines completely or else it wouldn't really have an effect on our bodies anymore.

From what I know working at Pfizer, this is true, but I believe that they can't change it without going through the whole process to make sure it is safe, etc.  They would need to make sure that tweak doesn't trigger different side effects.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2021 at 5:59 PM, chescowx said:

My wife is a pharmacist and struggled long and hard with the side effect profile of this vaccine. Her job is writing package inserts for pharmaceutical companies and she is painfully aware and focuses on each and every side effect and constantly talks about the risk/benefit of all drugs. Her biggest concern with specifically the Pfizer vaccine was the side effect profile....even though not deadly or anything like that she found the incidence of that "bad day" following the 2nd shot to be concerning. She still worries about the long term implications of this technology. This has nothing to do with vaccines...only drugs in general -  she is a firm believer in vaccines and gets a flu shot every year....I have never received a flu shot....my doc at my annual physical always leaves that decision up to me and I have always declined. She even continues to worry about a class of drugs I personally helped launch back in the late 1990's - the anti-TNF products such as Remicade etc. - that the side effects of these treatments may take more than a quarter century for us to truly understand what may be the longer term implications of these treatments. I respect all who either choose to get the Covid vaccine or do not as long as they do the research into the risk benefit analysis. It is clearly not a simple call for almost 1/3 of Americans. I wish all would get the vaccine but I would never impose my belief on someone else and would never criticize another for choosing to not get vaccinated. Unfortunately my brand of tolerance is not embraced these days.

There is a LOT of truth in a lot of this.  

The "bad day" seems to be less about the technology of the vaccine and more about the massive immune response that either the virus or the vaccine generates.  Definitely something to watch.

Agree 100% on the anti-TNF drugs, not to mention all of the other treatments that we're slinging up against the wall in an effort to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING to stop this virus from killing people.  That is my biggest fear.  These are not benign drugs.

The issue I have with the vaccine-hesitant is that people "don't trust the vaccine," but when these same people get hospitalized, they immediately want every therapeutic option available--Regen-COV (the Regeneron mixture of mabs), bamlanivumab, tocilizumab, remdesivir, you name it.  If you're honestly afraid of the vaccine, and you're NOT afraid of these treatments...not sure what to say to that.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ACwx said:

Even for unvaccinated people, a 2nd bout with the virus is usually minor from what I understand since you have certain antibodies from the 1st bout, so even if case counts rise again this winter, a very large majority of people (in the U.S. anyway) will be either vaccinated or already have prior infection, which should keep hospitalizations lower.

I'm not sure that what I've seen bears this out.  I can tell you that we have seen repeat ICU-level infections where patients didn't survive.  I'm also seeing that those patients we're seeing now are younger and sicker.  We're back over 50 patients in-house again, with 10 in the ICU, and statistically, 5 of them won't be going home.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

There is a LOT of truth in a lot of this.  

The "bad day" seems to be less about the technology of the vaccine and more about the massive immune response that either the virus or the vaccine generates.  Definitely something to watch.

Agree 100% on the anti-TNF drugs, not to mention all of the other treatments that we're slinging up against the wall in an effort to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING to stop this virus from killing people.  That is my biggest fear.  These are not benign drugs.

The issue I have with the vaccine-hesitant is that people "don't trust the vaccine," but when these same people get hospitalized, they immediately want every therapeutic option available--Regen-COV (the Regeneron mixture of mabs), bamlanivumab, tocilizumab, remdesivir, you name it.  If you're honestly afraid of the vaccine, and you're NOT afraid of these treatments...not sure what to say to that.

 

This is a gross overgeneralization, but it would seem that from a cultural and societal standpoint, we've moved away from implementing an ounce of prevention to prevent the pound of cure. 

 

(Masks, social distancing, and vaccines being examples of the former.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harbourton said:

President of Moderna admitted that they do not have enough data to make a call on a third shot.

Good on him.  That probably will add to any credibility they have at this point.

I'm getting the booster shot because I'm immunocompromised at baseline, and because to me, whatever the vaccine does to me is better than whatever COVID will do to me.  YMMV.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

Good on him.  That probably will add to any credibility they have at this point.

I'm getting the booster shot because I'm immunocompromised at baseline, and because to me, whatever the vaccine does to me is better than whatever COVID will do to me.  YMMV.

The real question is how long the MRNA vaccines keep the average healthy person out of the hospital. The FDA had people quit over this question.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 23yr old vacicnated daughter who works down at Penn gets tested regularly for work.  Last week her PCR came back positive, so she's in quarantine.  She took a 2nd test and it came back negative.  She's waiting on a 3rd test now.  Since she was with her boyfriend (also vaxed and young) he had to test.  He's taken four - two PCR and two rapids.  His four tests split evenly 2 positives and 2 negatives (1 of each PCR/rapid).  I don't know what to think...  She is quarantining for 10 days per work protocols, but the testing variability is a challenge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jec6 said:

My 23yr old vacicnated daughter who works down at Penn gets tested regularly for work.  Last week her PCR came back positive, so she's in quarantine.  She took a 2nd test and it came back negative.  She's waiting on a 3rd test now.  Since she was with her boyfriend (also vaxed and young) he had to test.  He's taken four - two PCR and two rapids.  His four tests split evenly 2 positives and 2 negatives (1 of each PCR/rapid).  I don't know what to think...  She is quarantining for 10 days per work protocols, but the testing variability is a challenge.

That's SO frustrating.  Seems like we've stopped the innovation on testing at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Harbourton said:

The real question is how long the MRNA vaccines keep the average healthy person out of the hospital. The FDA had people quit over this question.

Long term is where the efficacy data is severely lacking.  Answer right now is that no one knows.  They're working thus far.  Ask me again in 6 months and I'll be glad to share my local data and experiences, but I just don't know a valid answer to that question.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The scary thing is that we have far surpassed the duration of the Spanish Flu which until now was the worst pandemic. My question is why does this virus seem to live on with all its variants? Are there other variables not considered?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...