COVID-19 check-in; Pfizer, Moderna, JNJ All Have Vaccines.

3 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

We just had to tell my wife's parents that they cannot come to either of our kid's birthday parties because they're unvaccinated.  It's creating a very painful/awkward rift.

It's a shame that literally everything in today's day and age is politicized.  Most polio cases were "minor" too, but that didn't stop virtually every parent from lining up around the block to get their child the shot, because the moderate/severe cases were so damaging long-term.  I've lost most of my hope for this country over the last couple of years.

Sorry to hear this but you are not alone. My father and I have had quite a falling out between the election and covid. I’ll keep politics out of this but he has been basically brainwashed by one side of spectrum to the point where it was going to influence him to the point where he wasn’t going to get vaccinated. I basically told him if that was his route he wouldn’t be seeing any of his grandkids anytime soon. Luckily, he begrudgingly got vaccinated but his stance on Covid, lockdowns, mandates, schools, financial relief hasn’t changed a bit. It’s quite disturbing and sad. We barely talk now and since the inauguration in January he basically just talks negative about EVERYTHING. Sadly, being 3 hours away is likely a blessing in disguise for us both as I couldn’t handle and wouldn’t want my wife and kids subjected to his rants on a daily/weekly basis. :(

• Sad 6
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2nd shot today, literally a minute ago. Getting ready to enjoy all that I have been missing.  Thank you scientific/medical community. 

So I think you're definitely right about chloroquine and it only helping some people. Im a RN in an ICU and in my experience so far with these COVID patients, it doesnt help everyone. It seems the ear

To reiterate this point--   Since we've had vaccines out there in the public domain (think March-ish) and people have been "fully vaccinated" we've had 558 total ICU patients on ventilators,

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Gaia said:

My dad died a few weeks ago. I was so worried about my brother attending the funeral. He is very much a conspiracy theorist and doesn't believe in the vaccine...or masks...or testing. And he is in Georgia, where rates are high. We had inmunocompromised people attending andnone of my children is under 12 and cannot receive the vaccine yet. We've lost enough in the past year, including my mom who may have died of Covid (January 2020 - leukemia patient, but died of anmystery respiratory illness that caused sepsis and a funky chest x-ray).....but how do you shut someone out of a funeral? It was very stressful, but he ended up not coming anyway (because he is a POS, not due to Covid). It's definitely an awkward situation and making it political has been heartbreaking. 

So awful. Sorry to hear this. 

3 hours ago, Gaia said:

My dad died a few weeks ago. I was so worried about my brother attending the funeral. He is very much a conspiracy theorist and doesn't believe in the vaccine...or masks...or testing. And he is in Georgia, where rates are high. We had inmunocompromised people attending andnone of my children is under 12 and cannot receive the vaccine yet. We've lost enough in the past year, including my mom who may have died of Covid (January 2020 - leukemia patient, but died of anmystery respiratory illness that caused sepsis and a funky chest x-ray).....but how do you shut someone out of a funeral? It was very stressful, but he ended up not coming anyway (because he is a POS, not due to Covid). It's definitely an awkward situation and making it political has been heartbreaking. 

I'm so sorry to hear such sad news. Thank God your brother's issue worked itself out.

We just went through a Covid scare with our 3 year old grandson. Thankfully the test came back negative He was exposed in daycare. Apparently in Pa day care workers who are around toddlers who can't be vaccinated do not have to either vaccinated or tested. If that is in fact true that is terrible policy.

20 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

We just had to tell my wife's parents that they cannot come to either of our kid's birthday parties because they're unvaccinated.  It's creating a very painful/awkward rift.

It's a shame that literally everything in today's day and age is politicized.  Most polio cases were "minor" too, but that didn't stop virtually every parent from lining up around the block to get their child the shot, because the moderate/severe cases were so damaging long-term.  I've lost most of my hope for this country over the last couple of years.

I have done the opposite because of her age, I told my wife we are not visiting my unvaccinated 82-year-old mother-in-law (who listens only to her 33-year-old anti-vax grandson) until she gets vaccinated.  She agrees with me, but her side of the family has gone off the rails. Her mother's side of the unvaccinated family in Canada decided to vacation together at rental homes this summer. Half of them came down with Covid, one nearly died (went on oxygen, etc) and still this is not enough. My nephew's wife co-worker died from Covid (not old) and again still not enough.  My other nephew's 28-year-old best friend died from Covid and again and again still not enough. We give up.     

• Sad 1
16 hours ago, Parsley said:

Sorry to hear this but you are not alone. My father and I have had quite a falling out between the election and covid. I’ll keep politics out of this but he has been basically brainwashed by one side of spectrum to the point where it was going to influence him to the point where he wasn’t going to get vaccinated. I basically told him if that was his route he wouldn’t be seeing any of his grandkids anytime soon. Luckily, he begrudgingly got vaccinated but his stance on Covid, lockdowns, mandates, schools, financial relief hasn’t changed a bit. It’s quite disturbing and sad. We barely talk now and since the inauguration in January he basically just talks negative about EVERYTHING. Sadly, being 3 hours away is likely a blessing in disguise for us both as I couldn’t handle and wouldn’t want my wife and kids subjected to his rants on a daily/weekly basis. :(

I just find this so ironic because the reason we have the vaccine is because of the correct gamble to manufacture the vaccine in (advance and) anticipation that the Phase III trials would be successful by the previous administration.  Our former president along with his family are vaccinated. I really don't understand.  Yes and if he won re-election I am not naive enough to think "the other side" would not be bringing up vaccine safety issues. It is sad what politics has done to this country. We are dying from within.

• Like 2

What I've noticed over the last 18 months is how similar the communication issues are between the vaccines / Covid and weather forecasting.

1. No matter what the science says, part of the population will always have their own opinions ("99.7% of people survive Covid so why worry?"; "The weather people get it wrong anyway so why pay attention?")

2. Media outlets taking a non-story and blowing it way out of proportion for ratings (Any study that shows reduced vaccine efficacy in a single country gets huge attention, even though it is widely accepted that most if not all Covid vaccines protect >90% against severe disease even with the Delta variant; the NY Post earlier this month publishing that story about Hurricane Larry causing impacts to Northeast weather even though it stayed like 1,000 miles off the coast)

3. Elected leaders not relaying the science properly and causing even more confusion (Some states are trying to ban mask mandates while others have already re-instated OUTDOOR mask mandates, both stances hurt the science IMO; New York City leaders downplaying the flash flood threat from Ida a few weeks ago, which was called out by the former NWS Mt Holly MIC among others)

More concerning to me is that there doesn't seem to be an incentive to fix any of this - widespread fear and confusion makes for good TV ratings and plenty of social media engagement...$$$$$.

• Sad 1

What I find to be most dangerous is distrust in science and education. There has been a radical shift lately to dismiss the value of people who are experts in their field. A youtube video made by some random radical with disinformation everywhere gets more attention than work from scientists who devote their life to their profession and area of expertise. These are amplified on social media, usually with an air of self-aggrandized "elevation" -- i.e. "all you sheeple have it wrong" or something of the sort. My wife has been performing, managing, and running trial research for 15 years and we're simply tired of explaining to people how trials and science/research works. It's often met with hostility or "did the media tell you to say that" dismissal or something along those lines. It's tragic. 

We had a funeral this week (not related to covid) and had to basically tell our family members in north GA not to come since they're rabid anti-vaxxers (the typical 5x a day reposts on social media etc) and my father is immunocompromised. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Captain Lou said:

Tens of thousands of undocumented, unvaccinated individuals allowed into this country monthly while the elitists are having their lavish parties etc.. sticking the middle finger to the rest of us..... sad...

The problem (at least the COVID-related problem) isn't the undocumented people streaming into the country, though it doesn't help things.  The problem is OUR OWN PEOPLE refusing to follow and trust science.

I could tell so many stories--I've been told to go f*** myself by more patients in the last six months than in my entire career.  A patient who just had an ischemic stroke at 52 years old--told him back in Spring that I would recommend him get the vaccine considering his stroke history.  He told me to go f*** myself and left AMA--against medical advice.  Another patient came in, 50 years old, sick as hell.  Wife gave us the history and told us he was vaccinated.  As he declined (and rather abruptly), she came back and told us that she had lied and that he wasn't vaccinated, but that she was afraid that we "would treat him differently" if we knew he was unvaccinated.  He passed last week.  We lost four COVID patients in less than 24 hours last Thursday into Friday.

If only our leaders didn't politicize this whole thing, I can only wonder how many less lives would be lost.  More than 688k dead.  More than 27k dead in NJ.  When is enough REALLY enough?  It's getting close for this guy.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
13 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

The problem (at least the COVID-related problem) isn't the undocumented people streaming into the country, though it doesn't help things.  The problem is OUR OWN PEOPLE refusing to follow and trust science.

I could tell so many stories--I've been told to go f*** myself by more patients in the last six months than in my entire career.  A patient who just had an ischemic stroke at 52 years old--told him back in Spring that I would recommend him get the vaccine considering his stroke history.  He told me to go f*** myself and left AMA--against medical advice.  Another patient came in, 50 years old, sick as hell.  Wife gave us the history and told us he was vaccinated.  As he declined (and rather abruptly), she came back and told us that she had lied and that he wasn't vaccinated, but that she was afraid that we "would treat him differently" if we knew he was unvaccinated.  He passed last week.  We lost four COVID patients in less than 24 hours last Thursday into Friday.

If only our leaders didn't politicize this whole thing, I can only wonder how many less lives would be lost.  More than 688k dead.  More than 27k dead in NJ.  When is enough REALLY enough?  It's getting close for this guy.

Thank you for your hard work through all this, appreciate your insight.

2 hours ago, Tiburon said:

Yes- Thank You for all you do and put up with, truly.  We previously elected a "carnival barker" who sold a lot of Kool Aid.   Present administration needs to show more competence in flushing it.  Perhaps if we charge the unvaccinated for the carrying costs the continued obstinance against science is racking up. These folks are getting heavy. I miss societal common sense in more ways than one. -Independant

14 minutes ago, RCostello said:

Yes- Thank You for all you do and put up with, truly.  We previously elected a "carnival barker" who sold a lot of Kool Aid.   Present administration needs to show more competence in flushing it.  Perhaps if we charge the unvaccinated for the carrying costs the continued obstinance against science is racking up. These folks are getting heavy. I miss societal common sense in more ways than one. -Independant

You do realize that minorities are some of the least vaccinated in the country.  They typically vote one way.  The mainstream "news" only portays one piece as a problem because it is a safe target, but there is a huge problem elsewhere that people are afraid to bring up.  I see it on my social media feeds from both groups of people.  One is newsworthy, one isn't.  

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, RCostello said:

Just an FYI, there are other media outlets besides Daily Kos & MSNBC.

i have seen too many stories about people with legitimate reasons not to be vaccinated. They paint with too broad a brush. What about people that have had Covid and have resistance eight times the population that were vaccinated. Yet everybody must be vaccinated. It's pretty obvious what's going on don't you Mr. Jones? 

1 hour ago, Harbourton said:

i have seen too many stories about people with legitimate reasons not to be vaccinated. They paint with too broad a brush. What about people that have had Covid and have resistance eight times the population that were vaccinated. Yet everybody must be vaccinated. It's pretty obvious what's going on don't you Mr. Jones? 

@Tiburon can answer this better than I can, but I think I have heard doctors, researchers say that the best protection is to get Covid (no thanks) and then one vaccine shot. Even European countries that are all in on vaccine passports recognize natural immunity.

2 hours ago, RCostello said:

2 hours ago, frankdp23 said:

You do realize that minorities are some of the least vaccinated in the country.  They typically vote one way.  The mainstream "news" only portays one piece as a problem because it is a safe target, but there is a huge problem elsewhere that people are afraid to bring up.  I see it on my social media feeds from both groups of people.  One is newsworthy, one isn't.  

Both of this things can be (and are) true.

First and last warning. 

we can talk vaccine stats/scientific research in here, as Tony and a few other have been doing. 

It was made abundantly clear when this threat was started, that name throwing, political stances and whatever other derogatory comments are made, that the thread would be locked up. The goal is to keep the negative:personal opinions talk outside of PhillyWx. There are plenty of other platforms to discuss this topic. 

Thank you. 

• Like 2

My wife is a pharmacist and struggled long and hard with the side effect profile of this vaccine. Her job is writing package inserts for pharmaceutical companies and she is painfully aware and focuses on each and every side effect and constantly talks about the risk/benefit of all drugs. Her biggest concern with specifically the Pfizer vaccine was the side effect profile....even though not deadly or anything like that she found the incidence of that "bad day" following the 2nd shot to be concerning. She still worries about the long term implications of this technology. This has nothing to do with vaccines...only drugs in general -  she is a firm believer in vaccines and gets a flu shot every year....I have never received a flu shot....my doc at my annual physical always leaves that decision up to me and I have always declined. She even continues to worry about a class of drugs I personally helped launch back in the late 1990's - the anti-TNF products such as Remicade etc. - that the side effects of these treatments may take more than a quarter century for us to truly understand what may be the longer term implications of these treatments. I respect all who either choose to get the Covid vaccine or do not as long as they do the research into the risk benefit analysis. It is clearly not a simple call for almost 1/3 of Americans. I wish all would get the vaccine but I would never impose my belief on someone else and would never criticize another for choosing to not get vaccinated. Unfortunately my brand of tolerance is not embraced these days.

• Like 1
On 9/17/2021 at 4:18 PM, RCostello said:

As someone much smarter than me once said "even if you dislike the man - please respect the office" - President Trump was of course our duly elected Commander in Chief who received more votes in the 2020 election than any human not to be elected President. Let's try to keep politics out of this and simply respect the office of our duly elected Presidents!

• Like 1

Even with what Florida went thru this summer, counties that were more vaccinated fared better than those that were not.  Glades County was an exception.  They are not very vaccinated (<30% fully), but only about 13,500 people live there and I am guessing it is not a tourist destination.

I told you Barney purple is bad....

fl.JPG.c0853c824f608e8d06e37c2a9b0a139a.JPG