Jump to content

COVID-19 check-in; Pfizer, Moderna, JNJ All Have Vaccines.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cbelke said:

 

 

Decision, decisions...    The reports I've been hearing, if you had Covid-19 (like my wife and I), you have the antibodies for up to a year, and perhaps longer.  My wife and I should be good, unless we decide to travel, then it will most likely be required.  We will eventually get the vaccine as the doctors told us to wait at least 90 days after all symptoms are gone before getting it, so early July time frame is when we will most likely go get it.

 

 

I feel like they will allow one dose of Pfizer or Moderna for people who have had covid and that will be good.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2nd shot today, literally a minute ago. Getting ready to enjoy all that I have been missing.  Thank you scientific/medical community. 

So I think you're definitely right about chloroquine and it only helping some people. Im a RN in an ICU and in my experience so far with these COVID patients, it doesnt help everyone. It seems the ear

To reiterate this point--   Since we've had vaccines out there in the public domain (think March-ish) and people have been "fully vaccinated" we've had 558 total ICU patients on ventilators,

Posted Images

5 hours ago, frankdp23 said:

I feel like they will allow one dose of Pfizer or Moderna for people who have had covid and that will be good.  

Yeah, a lot of people are doing that, only getting one shot and they need the second. I'm not about the vaccine in the first place, but if you are going to do it, get the second shot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cbelke said:

 

 

Decision, decisions...    The reports I've been hearing, if you had Covid-19 (like my wife and I), you have the antibodies for up to a year, and perhaps longer.  My wife and I should be good, unless we decide to travel, then it will most likely be required.  We will eventually get the vaccine as the doctors told us to wait at least 90 days after all symptoms are gone before getting it, so early July time frame is when we will most likely go get it.

 

 

Our son is in the same boat.  Tonight he said his sense of smell has not been as great lately. He tested negative two weeks ago, so I don't know what to make of this in terms of his timing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Our son is in the same boat.  Tonight he said his sense of smell has not been as great lately. He tested negative two weeks ago, so I don't know what to make of this in terms of his timing.

Yup, loss of taste and smell was the worst/weirdest part for me. The vaccine is a judgement call in my eyes, and I look at the risk factors for those around me. That's about the only reason I would get it. 

 

Is your son vaccinated?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cbelke said:

Yup, loss of taste and smell was the worst/weirdest part for me. The vaccine is a judgement call in my eyes, and I look at the risk factors for those around me. That's about the only reason I would get it. 

 

Is your son vaccinated?

Not yet.  The irony is he was scheduled to get the shot the Saturday he had his worst symptoms.  The risk assessment is not made any easier that there are (alleged) Russian & Chinese bots out there on social media telling people these vaccines are not safe.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Read an article (I'll try to find it) that if you had Covid, and then get the vaccine as well, you're protected for a very long time. Those of us like myself, who got the vaccine but haven't had Covid, will probably need a booster shot at some point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NEchestercountydude said:

Read an article (I'll try to find it) that if you had Covid, and then get the vaccine as well, you're protected for a very long time. Those of us like myself, who got the vaccine but haven't had Covid, will probably need a booster shot at some point. 

maybe it was this?  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/health/coronavirus-immunity-vaccines.html

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got an email from my 2 year old son's day care that there was a positive case in his classroom.  We just had him tested this morning, along with my wife, who is vaccinated like me.  They are both symptomatic, but can't tell if it's just a typical cold or something else.  Results tomorrow....

It's going to be a pain in the ass going through this "Is it COVID or not?" routine every time, but better safe than sorry.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

Got an email from my 2 year old son's day care that there was a positive case in his classroom.  We just had him tested this morning, along with my wife, who is vaccinated like me.  They are both symptomatic, but can't tell if it's just a typical cold or something else.  Results tomorrow....

It's going to be a pain in the ass going through this "Is it COVID or not?" routine every time, but better safe than sorry.

Hope all goes well. I agree with your statement.  Could be a cold or allergy. Going to be a pain in the a$$ either way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2021 at 11:53 AM, Rainshadow23.0 said:

You think being vaccinated helps?  (Redundant question).

dd.JPG.c1c01ec0e23e5800421f5d0b28e32413.JPG

 

 

To reiterate this point--

 

Since we've had vaccines out there in the public domain (think March-ish) and people have been "fully vaccinated" we've had 558 total ICU patients on ventilators, 245 of which were ICU COVID patients on ventilators.

Exactly *2* were fully vaccinated, and both patients were on immunosuppressants, which would render the vaccinations less effective than expected.  They both died.

245 COVID patients requiring ventilators:

2 (0.82%) received both doses of Pfizer or Moderna and were 3 weeks out (considered fully vaccinated)

8 (3.3%) received ONE dose of Pfizer or Moderna and did not follow up for a second.

235 (95.92%) did not receive ANY dose of ANY COVID vaccine.

If you haven't gotten the vaccine, please get it.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

To reiterate this point--

 

Since we've had vaccines out there in the public domain (think March-ish) and people have been "fully vaccinated" we've had 558 total ICU patients on ventilators, 245 of which were ICU COVID patients on ventilators.

Exactly *2* were fully vaccinated, and both patients were on immunosuppressants, which would render the vaccinations less effective than expected.  They both died.

245 COVID patients requiring ventilators:

2 (0.82%) received both doses of Pfizer or Moderna and were 3 weeks out (considered fully vaccinated)

8 (3.3%) received ONE dose of Pfizer or Moderna and did not follow up for a second.

235 (95.92%) did not receive ANY dose of ANY COVID vaccine.

If you haven't gotten the vaccine, please get it.

+1000

The epitome of "follow the science". Unfortunately the vast majority of messaging has been follow the politics the past year & a half.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

To reiterate this point--

 

Since we've had vaccines out there in the public domain (think March-ish) and people have been "fully vaccinated" we've had 558 total ICU patients on ventilators, 245 of which were ICU COVID patients on ventilators.

Exactly *2* were fully vaccinated, and both patients were on immunosuppressants, which would render the vaccinations less effective than expected.  They both died.

245 COVID patients requiring ventilators:

2 (0.82%) received both doses of Pfizer or Moderna and were 3 weeks out (considered fully vaccinated)

8 (3.3%) received ONE dose of Pfizer or Moderna and did not follow up for a second.

235 (95.92%) did not receive ANY dose of ANY COVID vaccine.

If you haven't gotten the vaccine, please get it.

I wish they would but it is falling on deaf ears.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem is too much mix messaging imho. Cases up over 300 percent from last year and over half of the population is fully vaccinated vs. last year when there was no vaccine available. Questions over booster shots, why are the vaccinated exempt from workplace testing, long term  side effects etc....Check out a conversation between Dr. Gupta and Fauci over the weekend about natural immunity.  Imho, too many questions and concerns.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As a healthcare provider, the mixed or no messaging from CDC and FDA is very frustrating.  To try to answer or provide insight on some of your questions:

No guidance on booster shots (but any pharmacy will give you one if you ask).  I'm asplenic, I'll be getting my booster next week.  Between the vaccine and masking 12+ hours a day and when I'm in public places, I haven't gotten even a cold in almost two years.  Whatever I'm doing is working.

Vaccinated are exempt from workplace testing because vaccinated people are at exponentially lower risk for contracting the virus than those who are not vaccinated.

Long term side effects--there is no "long term" on a product that's been available for ten months.  You know however, what does have long term side effects?  COVID.  Not being snarky there, but whatever adverse effects the vaccine has, they're nowhere near as bad as the adverse effects from getting severe COVID or the sequelae that develop after acute infection.

Biggest issue right now is that we don't know about natural immunity vs. acquired immunity.  No one does.  I'm all for promoting natural immunity as counterintuitive as that sounds.  Here's the point--at what cost does that natural immunity come?  We're closing in on 700,000 deaths WITH a vaccine.  If we wait for natural immunity, we can probably TRIPLE that number.  I don't have hospitalization numbers for our health system (non-ICU), but the ICU numbers are telling.  If we don't include the patients with incomplete vaccination (immunocompromised or only 1/2 shots), ZERO fully vaccinated patients have required a ventilator in our system.  ZERO.  

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tiburon said:

As a healthcare provider, the mixed or no messaging from CDC and FDA is very frustrating.  To try to answer or provide insight on some of your questions:

No guidance on booster shots (but any pharmacy will give you one if you ask).  I'm asplenic, I'll be getting my booster next week.  Between the vaccine and masking 12+ hours a day and when I'm in public places, I haven't gotten even a cold in almost two years.  Whatever I'm doing is working.

Vaccinated are exempt from workplace testing because vaccinated people are at exponentially lower risk for contracting the virus than those who are not vaccinated.

Long term side effects--there is no "long term" on a product that's been available for ten months.  You know however, what does have long term side effects?  COVID.  Not being snarky there, but whatever adverse effects the vaccine has, they're nowhere near as bad as the adverse effects from getting severe COVID or the sequelae that develop after acute infection.

Biggest issue right now is that we don't know about natural immunity vs. acquired immunity.  No one does.  I'm all for promoting natural immunity as counterintuitive as that sounds.  Here's the point--at what cost does that natural immunity come?  We're closing in on 700,000 deaths WITH a vaccine.  If we wait for natural immunity, we can probably TRIPLE that number.  I don't have hospitalization numbers for our health system (non-ICU), but the ICU numbers are telling.  If we don't include the patients with incomplete vaccination (immunocompromised or only 1/2 shots), ZERO fully vaccinated patients have required a ventilator in our system.  ZERO.  

Thank you very much for your insight, answers, analysis and for all that you do. Much appreciated!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2021 at 8:43 AM, Rainshadow23.0 said:

The college math text books used to say "as the student can readily see".  Apparently for some it is not.... :(state3.jpg.203b864a2de22027fe33a4ff1202abaf.jpg

We just had to tell my wife's parents that they cannot come to either of our kid's birthday parties because they're unvaccinated.  It's creating a very painful/awkward rift.

It's a shame that literally everything in today's day and age is politicized.  Most polio cases were "minor" too, but that didn't stop virtually every parent from lining up around the block to get their child the shot, because the moderate/severe cases were so damaging long-term.  I've lost most of my hope for this country over the last couple of years.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

We just had to tell my wife's parents that they cannot come to either of our kid's birthday parties because they're unvaccinated.  It's creating a very painful/awkward rift.

It's a shame that literally everything in today's day and age is politicized.  Most polio cases were "minor" too, but that didn't stop virtually every parent from lining up around the block to get their child the shot, because the moderate/severe cases were so damaging long-term.  I've lost most of my hope for this country over the last couple of years.

My dad died a few weeks ago. I was so worried about my brother attending the funeral. He is very much a conspiracy theorist and doesn't believe in the vaccine...or masks...or testing. And he is in Georgia, where rates are high. We had inmunocompromised people attending andnone of my children is under 12 and cannot receive the vaccine yet. We've lost enough in the past year, including my mom who may have died of Covid (January 2020 - leukemia patient, but died of anmystery respiratory illness that caused sepsis and a funky chest x-ray).....but how do you shut someone out of a funeral? It was very stressful, but he ended up not coming anyway (because he is a POS, not due to Covid). It's definitely an awkward situation and making it political has been heartbreaking. 

  • Sad 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Gaia said:

My dad died a few weeks ago. I was so worried about my brother attending the funeral. He is very much a conspiracy theorist and doesn't believe in the vaccine...or masks...or testing. And he is in Georgia, where rates are high. We had inmunocompromised people attending andnone of my children is under 12 and cannot receive the vaccine yet. We've lost enough in the past year, including my mom who may have died of Covid (January 2020 - leukemia patient, but died of anmystery respiratory illness that caused sepsis and a funky chest x-ray).....but how do you shut someone out of a funeral? It was very stressful, but he ended up not coming anyway (because he is a POS, not due to Covid). It's definitely an awkward situation and making it political has been heartbreaking. 

I'm so sorry to hear that. My wife and I bought our first house in March 2020 and my parents still have not visited for various political excuses, most common of which has been the mask mandate (they call them "muzzles"). They both recently got COVID, and railed against their "pitiful," "spineless" doctors for refusing to prescribe them ivermectin. My wife is a doctor. It makes me so sad. They used to be normal, fun people.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...