COVID-19 check-in; Pfizer, Moderna, JNJ All Have Vaccines.

18 hours ago, andrewmo.tennisman said:

Yo everyone! Just got my second Moderna about 10 mins ago. A few more minutes before I can head out. WCU South Campus. Finally glad to get this done. My grandma passed last year of covid in a North Jersey nursing home so this makes me super proud. Any side effects beats the actual virus I would think. 15 mins since shot and anticipating sore arm at very least. No side effects yet. Again, any side effects beats the actual disease itself. Cheers everyone! ūüėÄūüáļūüáł

I didn't get any side effects till about 20hrs after the shot. Then for about 12-18 hrs had the chills, aches, and no energy 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2nd shot today, literally a minute ago. Getting ready to enjoy all that I have been missing.  Thank you scientific/medical community. 

So I think you're definitely right about chloroquine and it only helping some people. Im a RN in an ICU and in my experience so far with these COVID patients, it doesnt help everyone. It seems the ear

To reiterate this point--   Since we've had vaccines out there in the public domain (think March-ish) and people have been "fully vaccinated" we've had 558 total ICU patients on ventilators,

Posted Images

18 hours ago, andrewmo.tennisman said:

Yo everyone! Just got my second Moderna about 10 mins ago. A few more minutes before I can head out. WCU South Campus. Finally glad to get this done. My grandma passed last year of covid in a North Jersey nursing home so this makes me super proud. Any side effects beats the actual virus I would think. 15 mins since shot and anticipating sore arm at very least. No side effects yet. Again, any side effects beats the actual disease itself. Cheers everyone! ūüėÄūüáļūüáł

Here's an update. 9 hrs after my vaccine yesterday, maybe around 7:30 PM or 8:30 PM, I started getting some of the side effects (very mild fever, chills, body aches, not too bad of a sore arm, headache, feeling dehydrated). I figured it was vaccine side effects since I have not gotten sick even a mild cold for 4+ yrs now. I didn't sleep much last night but after I took some ibuprofen at around 12 AM or so and got up to drink water every so often, I finally was able to get some sleep starting at 1 AM or 2 AM, and then around 3 AM or 4 AM and then when I finally woke up at my regular 4:30 AM or 5 AM, all the bad side effects were all gone...YAY!!! I still took an ibuprofen when waking up and am drinking water and Gatorade, but the worst side effects seem all gone now thankfully. Just a slight sore arm now, and the sore arm is much less intense than the sore arm from the first Moderna vaccine I got. I was able to muster maybe 4 or 5 hrs of sleep last night which was typical for me back in college haha. I can still function any next day with 4 or 5 hrs, although I typically get 6 to 7 hrs of sleep which works very well for me, so I feel pretty good for having got 4 or 5 hrs haha. Right now it feels like the end of a mild hangover that I would get back in the late 2000s when I was in college, but an actual hangover I think is worse (I have not had a drink of alcohol for almost 3 yrs now either). The side effects, although uncomfortable and wouldn't want them every day, I am sure still beats having actual covid.

Happy Friday everybody, have a great weekend, and definitely consider getting the vaccine, and don't feel forced to get it either. Just consider getting it if you have doubts and don't be afraid of any side effects. My grandmother who passed of covid in April 2020 I am sure would have preferred vaccine side effects over what happened. Proud to be an American and to have such great medical advances! :)

• Like 4

Our vaccine progression is slowing, but we are still moving along.  I know Israel and the U.S. are not the same, but it is great to hope that we will be close.  Yes I changed the graph selection to logarithmic to show Israel's decline better or else it would look like a flat line.  Their totally vaccinated percentage is close to 60%.

BTW on Worldometer's "day" that ends at 8 pm, we have a chance to have the lowest number of new cases since 9/11. Friday is typically on their site the highest new case day of the week.  Lately we have been barely above Thursday's total, so even 48K or 49K new cases (yeah too many still) would take us back to September. 

israelrocks.jpg.994607081ed7178bda52fa8a3da82a97.jpg

Nearly 48 hours post-2nd Pfizer, feeling basically back to normal. Minor chills, minor headache, but that was about it. Bye-bye Covid!

gif.gif

• Like 6

@ACwx talking to Covid:  "Who do you think you are?!  I AM!"

I was reading something earlier today regarding Pennsylvania hitting that magical 70% mark.  It sounds like the City of Philadelphia is lagging well behind the rest of the state.  It's not due to access (pretty much anyone can get a vaccine that wants one now), but more due to much higher levels of vaccine hesitancy in the city.  Obviously if Philly lags behind significantly, gonna be tough for us to hit 70%.

• Like 2

Dr. Gottlieb in my opinion has been one of the few doctors with a media presence who has consistent messaging, while avoiding fear-mongering and instead just telling it like it is (good or bad).

Today I was pleasantly surprised to hear him dedicate several minutes to say that indoor mask mandates should be ending soon in many spots around the country. Frankly I thought we were still 2-3 weeks away from having that discussion, but considering 1. how quickly case rates are dropping (45k nationally last Saturday to 34k yesterday), 2. Vaccinations already taken (44% of U.S. adults fully vaccinated), 3. 1st doses rapidly shrinking (not much demand this late in the Spring), Dr. Gottlieb is right.

If current case / hospitalization trends continue on their current pace for another 3-4 weeks, logically I don't see why by June 1st mask mandates are either gone or all states have detailed policies / guidelines in place to remove the mandates soon after. Reminder that this is not intended to start political discussions, I'm only talking about the science.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ACwx said:

Dr. Gottlieb in my opinion has been one of the few doctors with a media presence who has consistent messaging, while avoiding fear-mongering and instead just telling it like it is (good or bad).

Today I was pleasantly surprised to hear him dedicate several minutes to say that indoor mask mandates should be ending soon in many spots around the country. Frankly I thought we were still 2-3 weeks away from having that discussion, but considering 1. how quickly case rates are dropping (45k nationally last Saturday to 34k yesterday), 2. Vaccinations already taken (44% of U.S. adults fully vaccinated), 3. 1st doses rapidly shrinking (not much demand this late in the Spring), Dr. Gottlieb is right.

If current case / hospitalization trends continue on their current pace for another 3-4 weeks, logically I don't see why by June 1st mask mandates are either gone or all states have detailed policies / guidelines in place to remove the mandates soon after. Reminder that this is not intended to start political discussions, I'm only talking about the science.

He has been pretty good through this pandemic.  He has done a good job of not being either an eternal optimist or forever pessimist.

How about the irony of contracting Covid the day before you were scheduled to get vaccinated.  That happened to our son who thankfully has had the mild symptoms you'd expect from a healthy 24-year-old. He is about 99.8% symptom free today.  Meanwhile my wife & I are test subjects as to how effective the vaccines are.  If we get by Saturday with no symptoms, we can say that symptomatically they worked for us.

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

How about the irony of contracting Covid the day before you were scheduled to get vaccinated.  That happened to our son who thankfully has had the mild symptoms you'd expect from a healthy 24-year-old. He is about 99.8% symptom free today.  Meanwhile my wife & I are test subjects as to how effective the vaccines are.  If we get by Saturday with no symptoms, we can say that symptomatically they worked for us.

Wow. Crazy. Hopefully smooth sailing going forward.

• Like 6

Going to be alot of confusion and an "inability to police" this. Good luck. This sounds like vaccinated PA peeps don't need masks.

The CDC guidelines that fully vaccinated people do not need to wear a face covering while indoors or outdoors is now automatically in effect in Pennsylvania. This only applies to fully vaccinated people. Acting Health Secretary Alison Beam said in a news release masks are still required for unvaccinated people until 70% of Pennsylvanians age 18 and older are fully vaccinated.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/pennsylvania-department-health-cdcs-mask-guidance-automatically-into-effect/L4K744PXLBE6LF7XY7KPKZGYCM/

• Like 5

Mask mandate ended a couple weeks ago in NH.   Have only encountered one place, the local hardware store, where masks are mandated and it's an old school store with stuff stacked everywhere, no room to walk, so distancing is difficult when crowded.    About half of people I see still wear masks indoors.

PA on the other hand sets a 70% vax goal for removing the mandate knowing full well that is unattainable for ideological reasons.

• Like 2

Agree with Parsley that although this is welcome news, it actually seems to make things more confusing in the short term on whether or not people really need masks at a particular location. But it's a good problem to have since we're moving in the right direction, and it will also incentivize those "on the fence" about getting vaxxed to go ahead and do it.

Gov. Murphy has stated his goal to get 4.7mil NJ residents vaxxed by 6/30, but to my knowledge that goal isn't tied to ending the mask mandate so I'm curious to see what happens. My gut says there will be a ton of pushback from shore towns after Memorial Day if the mandate is still in place for a while afterwards, but we'll see.

It will be difficult for things not to get political as we transition out of this. The science is clear plus cases are falling off a cliff - ideologies are the only thing left in the way.

• Like 3

Got the 2nd shot on Tuesday.  Had a little bit of a headache, fatigue and sore arm that day and the next but that was it.  Was expecting it to be worse.  Glad to be fully vaccinated!

• Like 6
10 hours ago, ACwx said:

Agree with Parsley that although this is welcome news, it actually seems to make things more confusing in the short term on whether or not people really need masks at a particular location. But it's a good problem to have since we're moving in the right direction, and it will also incentivize those "on the fence" about getting vaxxed to go ahead and do it.

Gov. Murphy has stated his goal to get 4.7mil NJ residents vaxxed by 6/30, but to my knowledge that goal isn't tied to ending the mask mandate so I'm curious to see what happens. My gut says there will be a ton of pushback from shore towns after Memorial Day if the mandate is still in place for a while afterwards, but we'll see.

It will be difficult for things not to get political as we transition out of this. The science is clear plus cases are falling off a cliff - ideologies are the only thing left in the way.

I guess it is going to get interesting in Wegmans real soon... 

NJ is at 4.51 million with at least one vax, so we should get there. 

Fully vaxed rate in NJ is holding up. These are Thu CDC %(s)

4/22....31.6%

4/29....35.5%

5/6......39.0%

5/13....42.7%

• Like 2

Two weeks after my 2nd jab of Pfizer, so I'm now fully vaccinated! I will still carry my mask with me and respectfully wear wherever they are required, but would be comfortable shopping maskless at Wegmans or other stores that no longer mandate their usage.

• Like 3

Enough vaccinations + natural immunity + getting those long sun producing vitamin D days we are continuing the decline in new cases.  Nationally we are back to June 2020 levels before the South got their strong summer wave.

Locally (sorry this is mostly NJ) we really have made strides in just one month.

then.jpg.04e3f7d52c55bb00ac6009d5d8142227.jpg

On a personal note, our son was retested yesterday, hopefully he comes back negative and can get back to work. He has not had any symptoms since last Wednesday or Thursday. His whole van crew contracted it. Conversely unmasked but vaccinated dad who was running in every other hour to feel his forehead to see if he still had a fever is 10 days removed (13 days from when Nooch would initially be infectious) and without any symptoms.

• Like 7

Here are case counts and vaccination progress for PA and NJ, respectively.

Great trends in both states. I could argue NJ is already near its summer minimum, I have a hard time believing there will be less than 100 cases a day once masks come off but hopefully I'm wrong.

Considering the governor stated multiple times that "a majority of NJ residents aren't vaccinated yet" (which is technically true even though 56% of adults are fully vaxxed) judging by these charts we should reach 50% of the state's population right around June 1, so I'm holding on to my belief that the mandates will get dropped soon after and we will all have an enjoyable summer.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Enough vaccinations + natural immunity + getting those long sun producing vitamin D days we are continuing the decline in new cases.  Nationally we are back to June 2020 levels before the South got their strong summer wave.

Locally (sorry this is mostly NJ) we really have made strides in just one month.

then.jpg.04e3f7d52c55bb00ac6009d5d8142227.jpg

On a personal note, our son was retested yesterday, hopefully he comes back negative and can get back to work. He has not had any symptoms since last Wednesday or Thursday. His whole van crew contracted it. Conversely unmasked but vaccinated dad who was running in every other hour to feel his forehead to see if he still had a fever is 10 days removed (13 days from when Nooch would initially be infectious) and without any symptoms.

His test came back negative. ūüôā

• Like 8

Here we go!!! I always figured the Memorial Day period would kind of be the tipping point. Only 1 more week of breathing on myself at the gym lol

Screenshot_20210521-190555.png

• Like 1
17 hours ago, ACwx said:

Here we go!!! I always figured the Memorial Day period would kind of be the tipping point. Only 1 more week of breathing on myself at the gym lol

Screenshot_20210521-190555.png

Unless they change their internal policy, I get to breathe on myself at work until the 4th of July.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the link to the study published in The Lancet on the effectiveness of the Pfizer Vaccine in Israel. This was after only 7 days of the second dose, I imagine the results would have been even better after 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00947-8/fulltext?fbclid=IwAR2wgbZ3BoCV2rfxfW3UxA_P2XiByaBkuG6w_3x2waZdaTUXPPwaNOeR5eU

table 2.JPG

table3.JPG

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Here is the link to the study published in The Lancet on the effectiveness of the Pfizer Vaccine in Israel. This was after only 7 days of the second dose, I imagine the results would have been even better after 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00947-8/fulltext?fbclid=IwAR2wgbZ3BoCV2rfxfW3UxA_P2XiByaBkuG6w_3x2waZdaTUXPPwaNOeR5eU

table 2.JPG

table3.JPG

Decision, decisions...    The reports I've been hearing, if you had Covid-19 (like my wife and I), you have the antibodies for up to a year, and perhaps longer.  My wife and I should be good, unless we decide to travel, then it will most likely be required.  We will eventually get the vaccine as the doctors told us to wait at least 90 days after all symptoms are gone before getting it, so early July time frame is when we will most likely go get it.