COVID-19 check-in; Pfizer, Moderna, JNJ All Have Vaccines.

22 hours ago, Harbourton said:

You could also argue that the lockdown rules had more of an affect on non-covid viral infection rates than masks. Do we really want to go there?

Unscientific yet scientific discussion here--I'm functionally asplenic, which means my spleen doesn't work as intended.  This was my long lasting gift for beating Hodgkins' Lymphoma in my 20s.  This results in my immune system not being quite as robust as everyone else's--not an ideal condition for an ICU practitioner.

As a result of my functional asplenia, I tend to get "sick" 2-3 times per year.  Head cold, URI, the norm--an acute viral illness.  I'm like clockwork, 2-3 times per year every year.  My point is that I haven't had an acute viral illness since February 2020 (prior to COVID) and I'm the farthest thing from locked down.  Only difference (since I already obsessively wash my hands and follow precautions) is the addition of a mask on my daily journeys and travels which include not only going to work but being the primary shopper for my family, and a soccer coach of snot-leaking children (on two teams) among other things.

Does this mean the mask works?  It works for me.  It's a cheap, easy, and safe way to protect yourself not just from COVID but from all of the other little curious virii out there.  Comfortable?  Hell no.  I have a beard.  Far from comfortable, and don't get me started on N95s (which I can't really wear) or PAPRs (which I'm in and out of all day long).  It's socially awkward, and as someone who likes to interact with people with smiles, I hate it.  But it's kept me safe for over a year.  I'll deal with it.  That's my situation--YMMV.

• Like 6
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2nd shot today, literally a minute ago. Getting ready to enjoy all that I have been missing.  Thank you scientific/medical community. 

So I think you're definitely right about chloroquine and it only helping some people. Im a RN in an ICU and in my experience so far with these COVID patients, it doesnt help everyone. It seems the ear

had 2nd Pfizer on Thursday, no issues, back to yard work today...... 

Posted Images

On 4/21/2021 at 3:14 PM, Harbourton said:

Had the second dose of Moderna yesterday. Much different experience from the first which was virtually free of symptoms. Today I have sore arm, no appetite and chills.

Good night's sleep and I'm good to go. Thanks to all the good people that made the vaccine possible. I'm in awe of the science involved that lead to this result.

Not to mention that we flew a drone on Mars

• Like 4
58 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

Unscientific yet scientific discussion here--I'm functionally asplenic, which means my spleen doesn't work as intended.  This was my long lasting gift for beating Hodgkins' Lymphoma in my 20s.  This results in my immune system not being quite as robust as everyone else's--not an ideal condition for an ICU practitioner.

As a result of my functional asplenia, I tend to get "sick" 2-3 times per year.  Head cold, URI, the norm--an acute viral illness.  I'm like clockwork, 2-3 times per year every year.  My point is that I haven't had an acute viral illness since February 2020 (prior to COVID) and I'm the farthest thing from locked down.  Only difference (since I already obsessively wash my hands and follow precautions) is the addition of a mask on my daily journeys and travels which include not only going to work but being the primary shopper for my family, and a soccer coach of snot-leaking children (on two teams) among other things.

Does this mean the mask works?  It works for me.  It's a cheap, easy, and safe way to protect yourself not just from COVID but from all of the other little curious virii out there.  Comfortable?  Hell no.  I have a beard.  Far from comfortable, and don't get me started on N95s (which I can't really wear) or PAPRs (which I'm in and out of all day long).  It's socially awkward, and as someone who likes to interact with people with smiles, I hate it.  But it's kept me safe for over a year.  I'll deal with it.  That's my situation--YMMV.

My wife was in a room with a physical therapist for 30 minutes who three days later called her to say she has Covid. She never got it (neither did our son or I who didn't exactly run and hide from her for the next two weeks). So my real life experience (beside knowing most of my supermarket co-workers have not had it symptomatically) is yes masks at the very least help. I am assuming you are in a SNJ hospital.  I just saw that total covid hospitalizations in NJ dipped below 2,000 for the first time in a month. The north section led the drop today.  I can't even imagine how long someone can stay and still be alive on a ventilator (that state number is pretty steady), but hopefully the rolling over that we seem to follow from NYC and then NRN NJ is working its way southward.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Harbourton said:

Good night's sleep and I'm good to go. Thanks to all the good people that made the vaccine possible. I'm in awe of the science involved that lead to this result.

Not to mention that we flew a drone on Mars

We can do that, but if I put my weather receiver 50 feet from my house I get no signal, smh.  lol

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

My wife was in a room with a physical therapist for 30 minutes who three days later called her to say she has Covid. She never got it (neither did our son or I who didn't exactly run and hide from her for the next two weeks). So my real life experience (beside knowing most of my supermarket co-workers have not had it symptomatically) is yes masks at the very least help. I am assuming you are in a SNJ hospital.  I just saw that total covid hospitalizations in NJ dipped below 2,000 for the first time in a month. The north section led the drop today.  I can't even imagine how long someone can stay and still be alive on a ventilator (that state number is pretty steady), but hopefully the rolling over that we seem to follow from NYC and then NRN NJ is working its way southward.

I was on a ventilator for 10 days when I had double pneumonia.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Yes sir. 

We started surging about 2-2.5 weeks ago.  Hoping it’s short lived but we have 65 inpatients as of today.  Problem is that enough of them to fill one of my ICUs with COVID patients, most of whom are on ventilators, many of whom will likely not survive.

Our general thought is to consider tracheostomy after about 7 days (family dependent), but we have patients trach’ed and PEG (semi-permanent feeding tube)‘ed for months on ventilators.  We’ve had patients that we’ve stepped down (stable on vent but can’t get off) but have been with us for MONTHS—and that doesn’t include patients sent to LTAC facilities.

Second shot first thing tomorrow morning. Hoping to get in a relatively productive day of work since I know I'm going to be out of it tomorrow night and Friday. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, mshaffer526 said:

Second shot first thing tomorrow morning. Hoping to get in a relatively productive day of work since I know I'm going to be out of it tomorrow night and Friday. 

My wife gets her 2nd shot today. Hoping not too rough on her. Good luck.

• Like 4

I must admit, the second shot did give me a few symptoms after 24 hrs. I experienced extreme fatigue and brain fog yesterday.  I left work after a few hours. I came home and went to bed.

Feeling fine now..back to work.

• Like 4

24 hours post Pfizer II. Feeling OK. Moderate headache and minor body aches, although that could be related to going for a 5 mile run after my shot (doh). 

Hopefully this is the worst? 

• Like 5

Wife was sluggish yesterday after shot 2 on Wednesday. Midday nap, achy body much of the day, but pretty good by evening. Seems fine 36 hours later.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Parsley said:

Wife was sluggish yesterday after shot 2 on Wednesday. Midday nap, achy body much of the day, but pretty good by evening. Seems fine 36 hours later.

This sounds like me to a T.  I've been dragging ass all day but I am definitely functional.  The sweating is annoying.

• Like 1

Great trends here for NJ. It's fair to say we will see localized areas of herd immunity (natural + vaccines) before we get there on a national level, even though the national case numbers themselves have been faring better recently. The faster-vaccinating states seem to have hit an inflection point while the slower-vaccinating states haven't quite reached one yet. This should be a fun month to watch the numbers tumble.

Now if only that new beer rule could be made retroactive before May!

image.png.79deac3051aa76e9505f3d280f1232d4.png

• Like 6
4 hours ago, ACwx said:

Great trends here for NJ. It's fair to say we will see localized areas of herd immunity (natural + vaccines) before we get there on a national level, even though the national case numbers themselves have been faring better recently. The faster-vaccinating states seem to have hit an inflection point while the slower-vaccinating states haven't quite reached one yet. This should be a fun month to watch the numbers tumble.

Now if only that new beer rule could be made retroactive before May!

image.png.79deac3051aa76e9505f3d280f1232d4.png

I was thinking that too about the beer rule, lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rainshadow6.6 said:

Apologies I don't have rest of SEPA & DE numbers, this free fall is fantastic and should spread beyond the fall line.

nj1.JPG.bb75bf36fb17280335c78325b7392d5c.JPG

Basically a 40-50% drop in most areas, nice 👍

On top of that, NJ reporting just 880 cases today, first time under 1000 since October.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is for all on NJ or not, but Somerset Co now has a bunch of sites that you can walk in and get vaccinated.  Most are the JnJ vaccine with a few being Moderna it looks like.  

On 4/28/2021 at 5:23 PM, Harbourton said:

A third dose is inevitable for Moderna and Pfizer

Third dose?  Don't be surprised if we're talking at least ANNUALLY, like the flu shots.  

The J&J news drove vaccine demand through the floor.  Most county sites (Gloucester especially) are allowing walk-ins, while Camden County is actually CLOSING their site at times due to diminished demand.

Yo everyone! Just got my second Moderna about 10 mins ago. A few more minutes before I can head out. WCU South Campus. Finally glad to get this done. My grandma passed last year of covid in a North Jersey nursing home so this makes me super proud. Any side effects beats the actual virus I would think. 15 mins since shot and anticipating sore arm at very least. No side effects yet. Again, any side effects beats the actual disease itself. Cheers everyone! 😀🇺🇸

• Like 6